Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Voice Control of the Cell Phone  (Read 1503 times)

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Voice Control of the Cell Phone
« on: July 16, 2012, 11:34:46 AM »

I just spent this past week end riding while using the helmet intercom and the new H-D Bomm-P to control the IPhone 4S phone.  :orange:    Using Siri I was able to make and take phone calls, ask for directions, dictate a text messages and send them to people, play individual songs or entire playlist, leave myself reminders and add notes all by simply talking into the helmet headset.  :apple: :jalapeno: :cucumber:

I had to redo the way I listed contacts so that Siri did not get mixed up.  :nixweiss:  For instance my wife’s name is Maureen but she goes by Mo. So when I told Siri to call Mo Siri came back with call Mole,   :D   funny but do not tell my wife.  :stop:  I had to rename Mo to Maureen and then Siri did not have a problem. I had the same problem with few other names in the contact list but once I renamed then Siri got it the first time around.

Now I am still learning how to use the new phone so please do not ask me questions about it. If you have a 5 year old around the neighborhood ask them. This phone is great but I am not recommending any phone I simply like Apple and so far I love this 4S. I still have lots to learn about it, the user’s guide is 193 pages.
 :'(

Jim
Ride It Like You Are Retired

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: Voice Control of the Cell Phone
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 03:41:16 PM »

I just spent this past week end riding while using the helmet intercom and the new H-D Bomm-P to control the IPhone 4S phone.  :orange:    Using Siri I was able to make and take phone calls, ask for directions, dictate a text messages and send them to people, play individual songs or entire playlist, leave myself reminders and add notes all by simply talking into the helmet headset.  :apple: :jalapeno: :cucumber:

I had to redo the way I listed contacts so that Siri did not get mixed up.  :nixweiss:  For instance my wife’s name is Maureen but she goes by Mo. So when I told Siri to call Mo Siri came back with call Mole,   :D   funny but do not tell my wife.  :stop:  I had to rename Mo to Maureen and then Siri did not have a problem. I had the same problem with few other names in the contact list but once I renamed then Siri got it the first time around.

Now I am still learning how to use the new phone so please do not ask me questions about it. If you have a 5 year old around the neighborhood ask them. This phone is great but I am not recommending any phone I simply like Apple and so far I love this 4S. I still have lots to learn about it, the user’s guide is 193 pages.
 :'(

Jim

Jim, your funny.
We have the 4S and when your ready I need to make a trip up your way on the 11.5 SEUC.
Hopefully when it's not so hot.

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 04:00:59 PM »

Cool, Jim.  Glad the new device is working so well.  If I ever make the leap with a new phone, this will be on my list.  I'm very computer literate, but the phones they have out now have functionality that is well beyond my needs.  I am due for an upgrade in October, so will look into it further.  These smart phones might make me feel like an idiot, and I don't need any help there.  ;)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 04:21:16 PM »

Jim:

Do you have a part number for the Bomm-P?  Searches are turning up no results.

Thanks!
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 06:12:11 PM »

Jim:

Do you have a part number for the Bomm-P?  Searches are turning up no results.

Thanks!
I am still behind on upgrading the web site but hope to have the CVO link up an run

ning within a few days. Remember to use the link, which I will post on this site when the page is up to get the discount. The original part # was HD-Bomm-I but lots of people told me they thought it was a 1 instead of the letter I so I changed the # to (P) for phone.

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 06:15:44 PM »

Jim, your funny.
We have the 4S and when your ready I need to make a trip up your way on the 11.5 SEUC.
Hopefully when it's not so hot.

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB

Hello SSB, it is hot here and expected to get hotter. I do not blame you for waiting for nicer weather. Let me know when you want to come up and we will go from there. It will be nice to see you again

Jim

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 06:17:52 PM »

Cool, Jim.  Glad the new device is working so well.  If I ever
make the leap with a new phone, this will be on my list.  I'm very computer literate, but the phones they have out now have functionality that is well beyond my needs.  I am due for an upgrade in October, so will look into it further.  These smart phones might make me feel like an idiot, and I don't need any help there.  ;)

LOL, this phone makes me feel like I just got off the ice burg.

igofar

• Senior CVO Member
  • IBA #27368
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 01:31:44 AM »

Jim, how about a quick comparison between your two products?
I'm assuming the hdbomm-p only works in aux?
I have a RT665 and NIM already installed and a HK BT module that I have not tried to get to work with the NIM.
Will the NIM interrupt music I am playing on my phoneif I use the hdbomm-p?
Could I use my phone instead of installing the iPod module and use voice activation to select my music?

Geez! This is getting more and more complicated? Who said more choice is good?

Brad

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 07:15:20 AM »

Both the H-D Bomm and the H-D Bomm-P work using the Auxiliary Input. The Bomm will not interrupt any radio function.

The H-D Bomm is used to interface the helmet microphone to the external microphone input of a GPS with Bluetooth. To talk on the phone using an H-D Bomm and GPS you use the phone function of the GPS. In order to hear any output of the GPS such as XM Radio (if you have a 665) MP3 songs (you put on an SD card and insert in the GPS), Traffic & Weather alerts and Turn Prompts the radio must be in the Auxiliary input mode.

If you have a navigation Interface Module (NIM) then things change a little. With a NIM you can be listening to any mode of the radio such as an FM radio station and when a turn prompt is present from the GPS (Harley Road Tech 660 or 665 Only) the NIM will automatically switch the radio from the FM Radio station to the GPS so that you can hear the turn prompt. After the turn prompt is complete the NIM automatically returns the radio to the FM radio station you were listening to before the turn prompt. If you buy a CVO then you still need to split the GPS output so that you are feeding both the NIM and the Auxiliary Input on the radio. The factory does not install these components. Even some dealers will not do a complete install of the NIM. If you have a NIM installed by a dealer make sure you have a plug installed in the Auxiliary Input on the front of the radio when you pick up the bike. If you do not then the dealer did not do the install correctly.

You can not use both the HK Bluetooth Module and a NIM at the same time. The short reason for this is that both these modules use the same inputs on the radio, both units will be attempting to communicate with the radio via the CAN buss and there will be a conflict, the radio will not know what is connected where and it will not work.

The NIM will interrupt any mode of the radio including the AUX mode.

If you have a voice activated smart phone such as the IPhone 4S then you can use the H-D Bomm-P to voice control the IPod function of the phone along with any other function that you would normally control using voice commands, such as call “John Smith Mobile send emails, send text, surf the net, ask directions all by just talking to the phone and if you download the Garmin GPS app you can have turn by turn directions spoken to you just as if you were using a GPS. The IPhone has a setting that allows you to send phone calls directly to the headset, this setting turns off the speakers on the phone. I have used this feature but to be truthful I did not see any difference if the setting is on speaker or headset. This setting I thing would be useful if you are just using the phone with the ear buds and mic that comes with the phone.

If I forgot some or made it more confusing let me know and I will try to help you out.

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 02:32:44 PM »

Great explanation Jim.  Thanks!  :2vrolijk_21:
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 25 queries.