Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Battery Tender By Deltran Issues  (Read 5479 times)

dbevins

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Battery Tender By Deltran Issues
« on: July 19, 2012, 12:45:30 PM »

What is everyone using for a battery tender? I just purchased another Battery Tender by Deltran and its my last one, they are junk anymore. I have 5 of them and none of them work the same way meaning they take anywhere from 10 minutes to 10 hours for the light to turn green on a battery thats already fully charged. So I'm switching to another mfg.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Battery Tender By Deltran Issues
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 12:57:16 PM »

What is everyone using for a battery tender? I just purchased another Battery Tender by Deltran and its my last one, they are junk anymore. I have 5 of them and none of them work the same way meaning they take anywhere from 10 minutes to 10 hours for the light to turn green on a battery thats already fully charged. So I'm switching to another mfg.

How about if you use the same charger on different batteries, do you see the same variation?  I've been using the same Battery Tender since 1999, so it's been used on more than one battery obviously.  What I've noticed is that the amount of time it takes to go to float (green light) has been different on each battery.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dbevins

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 02:11:39 PM »

I hooked up the new one to an already charged battery and it took 10 hours to go green. Then I hooked up an old one to same vehicle ( fully charged) and it took under 1 hour to go green. The last couple of Battery Charger Plus I purchase are all over the map on the amount of time it takes them to go green. They are very inconsistent! Plus this one gets so hot you can't touch it.

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 02:26:12 PM »

Try the Harley one I been using the same one since 2003 work great.
DND

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 04:06:45 PM »

I've had the same HD tender for about 6 years, best $49 I've spent from the moco.

I knew I needed a new battery, tender was taking a while to go green and the bike was hard to turn over when hot, on Jerry's advice I bought a Deka battery this weekend, I also slid by a stealer and bought a second tender in case that was actually the problem.

Turns out it was just the battery and not the tender, at least I have a backup now if the first one ever craps out!

jamnflhxse2

• 1K CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE Arrived 12-19-14
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 08:43:38 PM »

I had a Deltran charger go south as well. I have been real happy with my Xtreme charger  http://www.xtremechargers.com/
They even have a adapter to charge 4 batteries off of one battery charger. Works great. On my 4th year with it and have had zero problems. Water and dust proof!!

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 09:13:49 PM »

I use the Xtreme as well, works great!
Alan

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 09:53:53 PM »

Deltran is located in Deltona just outside Daytona. I had one of there chargers fail, I took it and another I hadn't used for awhile over during bikeweek and they handed me a new one for the failed one and checked and certified the other one.
The people were over helpful. I would never ever buy another brand just based on that one experience. I strongly suggest you send the ones mentioned in above posts back, I can not imagine they would not take care of them, Or just go by there during bike week or biketoberfest.
Also they are on My Classic Car occassionally and at many car events I go to with there products, Always helpful. EVERY company that produces anything has failures. I only change to another brand when they won't offer suppport and this company does.

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 10:02:31 PM »

I have 5 of the Jrs. All work ...till they don't. But don't just toss em out. Send them back to Deltran with a check (I think something like $12) and they send you a new one. Hard to beat that...
All the bells and whistles. Including 6 speed, GPS and heated grips.
OK, I'm getting old. Get over it!

Super_Viking

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »

I user a BatteryMinder, have BatterTender also. I think the BatteryMinder works a lot better.

www.batteryminders.com

Kenny
SEK3   Gold's The Best
2006 Road Glide
2007 XL 1200L

philgrocks

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 10:58:44 PM »

I have 6 of them and no trouble with any of them, some are 10 years old!

Georgehjr

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE CVO™ Road Glide® Ultra-Rio Red/Black/ Ember-Triked Out
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic #1408/Triked Out
    • CVO3: 2010 FLHXSE TEQUILA SUNRISE/Not A CVO-2002 Heritage Softail---
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 08:14:15 PM »

They have a plant/office about 10 miles from Daytona, I have had a couple go bad, walked in with a bad one, walk out with a new one, only cost was a Thank you !...... :2vrolijk_21:
The one with the most Toys , WINS !!!

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 25 queries.