Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zumo vs Road Tech  (Read 3116 times)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
Zumo vs Road Tech
« on: October 09, 2014, 03:48:36 PM »

What are the differences between the ZUMO and the Road Tech?

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Delta

• Full CVO Member
Re: Zumo vs Road Tech
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 04:33:23 PM »

I have a Zumo 660 and the Road Tech 660 that came with my bike. The only differences that I can see are the:

1. Splash screen when it powers up

2. HD Dealers are preloaded in the Road Tech. I had found the file a few years ago and loaded them into my 660.

3. When there is an active route in the Road Tech, the CVO radio/CD/CB will be muted for turn directions. My 660 will not do this when on the bike. The 660 will with the cord to the Aux port and the radio in Aux mode only.

As far as I know I have the OEM NIM under the fairing. I haven't had a reason to take the fairing off yet. There may be a Y connector or another module to have the 660 work similarly.

2011 FLHTCUSE6, Fullsac Sportpipe, Stock CVO Mufflers, Oil bypass vented, Power Vision

In Memory of Chappy

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 04:50:46 PM »

I have a Zumo 660 and the Road Tech 660 that came with my bike. The only differences that I can see are the:

1. Splash screen when it powers up

2. HD Dealers are preloaded in the Road Tech. I had found the file a few years ago and loaded them into my 660.

3. When there is an active route in the Road Tech, the CVO radio/CD/CB will be muted for turn directions. My 660 will not do this when on the bike. The 660 will with the cord to the Aux port and the radio in Aux mode only.

As far as I know I have the OEM NIM under the fairing. I haven't had a reason to take the fairing off yet. There may be a Y connector or another module to have the 660 work similarly.

So really nothing to get too excited about. Thank you.

|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

Delta

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 05:09:17 PM »

I probably should have stated this better"

Should have said that you will hear the turn directions only when connected to the Aux port and the radio in Aux mode. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.

2011 FLHTCUSE6, Fullsac Sportpipe, Stock CVO Mufflers, Oil bypass vented, Power Vision

In Memory of Chappy

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 05:12:27 PM »

I probably should have stated this better"

Should have said that you will hear the turn directions only when connected to the Aux port and the radio in Aux mode. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused.
So you have to keep the radio in auxiliary mode with the 660. Is this true with the road tech 665?

Delta

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 06:07:21 PM »

I believe it is. The 665 added the XM. When I used the 660 on my other bikes, I had mp3 files loaded on it that I would listen to. The turn directions would mute that. I'm not sure, but I thought someone had figured out how to get the 660 to operate like the Road Tech.

In Memory of Chappy

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 06:16:39 PM »

So you have to keep the radio in auxiliary mode with the 660. Is this true with the road tech 665?
The Roadtech is proprietary to H-D and I believe with the added NIM it will intergrate the prompts with not using an additional cable/aux port. Most of us that have the "Garmin" branded Zumo's and want to have the direction prompts thru the speakers and still listen to music just load an SD card with MP3's, wire with additional cable to aux port, and choose aux on radio. This way we have music and can get prompts. If you are expecting/wanting to have directions play w/out using the aux cable you have make sure you have (or add) the NIM.... even with having the NIM module I believe there were problems/restrictions that it didn't work as intended/wanted.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 06:27:39 PM »

The Roadtech is proprietary to H-D and I believe with the added NIM it will intergrate the prompts with not using an additional cable/aux port. Most of us that have the "Garmin" branded Zumo's and want to have the direction prompts thru the speakers and still listen to music just load an SD card with MP3's, wire with additional cable to aux port, and choose aux on radio. This way we have music and can get prompts. If you are expecting/wanting to have directions play w/out using the aux cable you have make sure you have (or add) the NIM.... even with having the NIM module I believe there were problems/restrictions that it didn't work as intended/wanted.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
Thanks dood

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 07:20:41 PM »

Only the Road Tech versions of the Zumo work with the NIM to override audio and pass voice prompts.  The NIM on my '12 CUSE7 works just fine and I can listen to XM, iPod, FM, etc., and still get the voice prompts.  My NIM works great. 

But when I use the RT 660 on my '07 which does not have the NIM, then as was said I must connect it to the Aux port on the radio and keep the radio in Aux mode in order to hear the voice prompts.  So no XM, FM or any other audio input. 

And I do not think this has changed - the RT Zumos come with a 2 year warranty, the non-RT versions from Garmin have a 1 year warranty.

And you can get the RT version from a 20% off dealer and that may be less than the non-RT version can be purchased.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 09:31:21 PM »

Only the Road Tech versions of the Zumo work with the NIM to override audio and pass voice prompts.  The NIM on my '12 CUSE7 works just fine and I can listen to XM, iPod, FM, etc., and still get the voice prompts.  My NIM works great. 

But when I use the RT 660 on my '07 which does not have the NIM, then as was said I must connect it to the Aux port on the radio and keep the radio in Aux mode in order to hear the voice prompts.  So no XM, FM or any other audio input. 

And I do not think this has changed - the RT Zumos come with a 2 year warranty, the non-RT versions from Garmin have a 1 year warranty.

And you can get the RT version from a 20% off dealer and that may be less than the non-RT version can be purchased.
Good info. I like the 20% off and extra warranty.

What's up with the 590lm? Can it override any input and pass commands on?

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 06:10:09 AM »

From what I've read,, these units will not work with the radios from a sesg2  or 3.  Not sure why.  :confused5:   I think it has something to do with the nim.

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 08:51:58 AM »

From what I've read,, these units will not work with the radios from a sesg2  or 3.  Not sure why.  :confused5:   I think it has something to do with the nim.

Stuey, 36 degrees here this morning. No more riding for me. Stuck on 10.2k for the year. Hoping for a finale before I put her away.

:nervous:

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 08:53:02 AM »

Unfortunately there is no RT version of the 590lm. I doubt there will be since moco now has built in gps. Too bad because the 590 looks good to me but I would not want to give up the functionality of the 660/665 with the NIM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.