Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Dealer Tells Me About Newer Motors  (Read 5007 times)

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
Dealer Tells Me About Newer Motors
« on: June 01, 2008, 02:55:21 PM »

Yesterday I was at my dealer, they told me that the parts were in to fix my head gasket leak (2007 SEUC with 7500 miles). I was talking to one of the owners. I mentioned the problems with with 110 head gasket and crank. He told me that Harley changed the way they were building their motors a couple of years ago and that the newer motors, not just the 110". seem to have problems when modified. He also mentioned that they had problems with cranks going back a couple of years, again, not just the 110.

It sounded to me that Harley had made a change in the way they are building this generation of V Twins, My take was the newer motors are not as strong and not built for additional horse power.

Harley should inform there customers of the change and let them know that their motors will not hold-up to any modification. I explained that the only modification I had made was to help the engine last (SE Race Tuner, Air Cleaner and Pipes). I told him that the factory setup pinged and ran hot as heck. He said he knew all the newer bikes ran hot. (Maybe these are the reasons they have two new 08 SEUlta's sitting on the showroom floor with no buyers).

They are taking care of me, I do have concerns, I am also happy I have an extended warranty. It sounds like It will be needed.

It is just sad that Harley cut corners on the new motor design. If I had it to do over again, I would keep my 2005 carb. FLHTC and upgrade with quality parts as needed.

I love the way my 07 SEUC runs, I Love the 6 Speed and I really like the look of the bike, I just wish Harley had done a better job enginering the motor.

Scottt

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Dealer Tells Me About Newer Motors
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 12:58:00 AM »

Yea they changed the way they build motors. It's called cheap Chinese built parts, i.e barrel and crank casting. Hell, the Moco is even to cheap to buy Japanese quality parts. I think they are learning to build motorcycles from the Hyundai cars manufactures.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 08:37:58 AM »

I seem to recall that Lexus (Toyota) Acura (Honda) have been more reliable than some of our good ole American brands in most if not all surveys.  I think the issue is in engineering design and spec's (HD USA)  vs. country of manufacturer.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 09:12:39 AM »

If I'm not mistaken, when Honda came out with the VTX 1800, the crank in that was so big that they didn't have the manufacturing capabilities to make it a single piece crank. So they had to manufacture a two-piece.  To my knowledge, they have not had any problems with that crank.  So a two piece crank can be made properly, or at least Honda can design one.  I have to agree, the foundries only make what they're told.  If you design on the cheap, you end up with an on-the-cheap product.  Just like why did HD drop the timken bearing after 02-03?  The bottom line is all that matters today.  If you can cut production costs and still charge the same or more for a product, the bottom line is increased.  If parts fail, you hope it's a small enough of an amount that you onesy-twosey the repairs.  Sometimes though, as in the case of the 110, that design mentality catches up to you and you end up with a quasi-serious problem, which will affect the reputation of the company and thus the bottom line.  Eventually, most companies, if they want to stay in business, resolve the issues.  But once the reputation is damaged, it's hard to get it back to where it was.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 07:54:55 AM »

And if your livelihood depended on selling such engines to people, would you tell them: A) "Yeah, two years and they're still building the same problems into them.  You can either live with it or fix them on your own." or B) "There were a few problems early on, but they were covered under warranty and the new ones are different." ?????  I'm still waiting on that letter from the factory that I keep hearing about.  Look! There's a ship!  We're saved.  Oh wait...never mind, just a cloud.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 08:10:16 AM »

And if your livelihood depended on selling such engines to people, would you tell them: A) "Yeah, two years and they're still building the same problems into them.  You can either live with it or fix them on your own." or B) "There were a few problems early on, but they were covered under warranty and the new ones are different." ?????  I'm still waiting on that letter from the factory that I keep hearing about.  Look! There's a ship!  We're saved.  Oh wait...never mind, just a cloud.

Haven't heard anything new on this. Tried to dig deeper, but the vault has gotten closed even tighter now. It's as if word has gotten out and the leaks have been sealed. :nixweiss:

I'm waiting just as everyone is, but have had too many confirmations from totally unrelated sources, having NOTHING to do with this site, to think this is not going to happen.

Parts first, then letter. No idea of timing on the letter.

If you purchased your scoot used, make sure you have sent in the Change of Ownership card in the back of the Owner's Manual so the letter comes to you and not the original owner.

Hopefully they'll let us know what's going on before the dealer's show, but the timing is looking very closely coordinated with the 2009 model year. Since these parts are supposed to be going into production before being sent to dealers, putting them on our bikes before the new models are out may let the cat out of the bag if there's something really different about them.

I'm just wondering where they're going to mount my radiator? :nixweiss:

Just Joking

:indian_chief:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 08:13:53 AM »

I'm just wondering where they're going to mount my radiator? :nixweiss:

Just Joking

You say that jokingly but I was thinking that as I read your post especially after someone posted that the '09 touring bikes would be water cooled. :-\

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 09:02:04 AM »

In case any of you really think water cooling is going to fix the problems, you need to realize that the crankshaft issues and the head gasket/cylinder liner issues aren't caused by the method of cooling the engine.  They are caused by poor design and poor manufacturing quality, both of which are the result of cost cutting carried to extremes.  If the engines were water cooled but still had cheap-assed Chinese flywheels with inaccurate machining, you would still have failures.  The same goes for cheap-assed cylinders, or any of the other cheapo changes H-D made to these engines.  Blaming H-D's lack of quality on the method of cooling the engine, or EPA regulations, or the phase of the moon, is all BS.  The blame rests squarely on the management of H-D and the poor choices they made.  Considering the fact that water cooling will add significantly to their costs, you may find that the problems actually get worse as they cheapen everything else to compensate.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 09:16:03 AM »

In case any of you really think water cooling is going to fix the problems, you need to realize that the crankshaft issues and the head gasket/cylinder liner issues aren't caused by the method of cooling the engine.  They are caused by poor design and poor manufacturing quality, both of which are the result of cost cutting carried to extremes.  If the engines were water cooled but still had cheap-assed Chinese flywheels with inaccurate machining, you would still have failures.  The same goes for cheap-assed cylinders, or any of the other cheapo changes H-D made to these engines.  Blaming H-D's lack of quality on the method of cooling the engine, or EPA regulations, or the phase of the moon, is all BS.  The blame rests squarely on the management of H-D and the poor choices they made.  Considering the fact that water cooling will add significantly to their costs, you may find that the problems actually get worse as they cheapen everything else to compensate.

Jerry

Huzzah!  Can you imagine spewing ethylglycol all over yer fancy chaps!  The boneheads at HD are just that...The material quality was never close to others and staying the course with driveline components should cost some of those seven figure VP's their jobs...What a bunch of Effsticks...Same I love Siamese rod, aircooled, vtwins so much.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 09:18:29 AM »

Jerry

I have never paid much attention to V Rods....but have there been any significant quality issues with this motor?   :nixweiss:   :nixweiss:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 09:22:02 AM »

Jerry

Jerry I agree with all of the above, to add to it, The choices made by the motor company are based on being a Publicly held corp, They answer only to share holders to return a profit- the above changes were made on that basis alone, while having to be held hostage by a union work force in order to boost profits and maintain the union Cost have to be cut no matter if they make any sense to the consumer.

That is another factor in Mfg jobs going off shore. The Company no longer has to provide cradle to grave coverage to it's work force cutting expense and boosting profits to return to the shareholders.  It just the way it is.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 10:00:51 AM »

If HD goes WC on their touring bikes, they'll probably go with a crankshaft design like the VRod, not the traditional single crankpin flywheel design that we love. Beginning of the end as I've been saying for the last year and a half. They'll be mashing your potato-potato boys! Then at least you wont have to worry about flywheels walking anymore! You won't have the soul of our beloved A/C single crankpin V-Twins anymore either! To each their own! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 10:09:51 AM »

If HD goes WC on their touring bikes, they'll probably go with a crankshaft design like the VRod, not the traditional single crankpin flywheel design that we love. Beginning of the end as I've been saying for the last year and a half. They'll be mashing your potato-potato boys! Then at least you wont have to worry about flywheels walking anymore! You won't have the soul of our beloved A/C single crankpin V-Twins anymore either! To each their own! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Potato - potato pretty much went away with higher idle speeds.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 10:11:21 AM »

Fuel injection vs carburation changed the sound of the new motors.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 10:11:39 AM »

Wasn't nothing like an Evo w/the idle set really low and a decent exhaust. You'd really get that nice potato potato sound. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.