Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Dealer Tells Me About Newer Motors  (Read 5009 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Dealer Tells Me About Newer Motors
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 10:16:34 AM »

Wasn't nothing like an Evo w/the idle set really low and a decent exhaust. You'd really get that nice potato potato sound. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

The sounds are different with the changes you've mentioned, true. But the reason for the basic sound of these motors is the 45deg V-Twin design with the single crankpin/flywheel assembly. That alone causes the motor to fire the way it does. And those offset cylinders due to the use of a crankshaft bug the chit outta me! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 10:19:08 AM »

you could still have the same connecting rod setup on single lobe cracnksaft
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 10:25:58 AM »

Normally a crankshaft is setup for a counterbalaced design. And the cylinders will always be offset on the cases.

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 10:31:14 AM »

normally they are offset because each lobe is its own cylinder. i'd bet a decent engineer could design a single lobe crank shaft thats properly ballenced. but i doubt that guy works for H-D

vagabond6542

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 10:41:07 AM »

I agree, the V-Star 1300 is a WC single pin crank engine. And it balances out beautifully. :nixweiss:

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2008, 11:29:00 AM »

Haven't heard anything new on this. Tried to dig deeper, but the vault has gotten closed even tighter now. It's as if word has gotten out and the leaks have been sealed. :nixweiss:

I'm waiting just as everyone is, but have had too many confirmations from totally unrelated sources, having NOTHING to do with this site, to think this is not going to happen.

Parts first, then letter. No idea of timing on the letter.

If you purchased your scoot used, make sure you have sent in the Change of Ownership card in the back of the Owner's Manual so the letter comes to you and not the original owner.

Hopefully they'll let us know what's going on before the dealer's show, but the timing is looking very closely coordinated with the 2009 model year. Since these parts are supposed to be going into production before being sent to dealers, putting them on our bikes before the new models are out may let the cat out of the bag if there's something really different about them.

I'm just wondering where they're going to mount my radiator? :nixweiss:

Just Joking

:indian_chief:
Right on those beautifully red powder-coated down tubes.   :-\  Think I'd tell them to pound sand if that's the fix.   :D

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2008, 11:38:53 AM »

normally they are offset because each lobe is its own cylinder. i'd bet a decent engineer could design a single lobe crank shaft thats properly ballenced. but i doubt that guy works for H-D

There is a difference between static and dynamic balance.  Every crank can be balanced, but it may only be balanced at one rpm range.  With the "B" motors and the counterbalance shafts, they pretty much stay with the crank throughout the rpm range to provide an over all better balance.

Back in '86 GM went with counterbalance shafts on their 3.8 motor and I think the 4.3 went to them in the late '90s.  There are extra moving parts, but I think they do a better job over all.

When I had my '76 Shovelhead crank rebuilt last winter, they did a general balance which they call a 60% balance.  This seems to be the most used figure I've seen.  It is smoother in the rpm range I ride at, but if I get over that then the motor starts to get my wife smiling again...  :o  :o

When we went riding Sunday on the old '76 FLH the old seat vibrator was working great.  She said she missed that on the new SERK, but very happy with the smoothness of the new bike.

Did I say that I rode the old '76 FLH Sunday???  Yes I did because my new SERK let me down on the freeway when the PCM III took a dump.  So without a tuner to control the fuel etc, I was not going to ride it.  I just finished up with the rebuild and new cylinders/pistons etc on the old bike and now that it's broken in, it's really a very slow tank to ride on...  :( :( :(

Anyway, back to the V-twin balance.  I don't believe that with the "V" nature of the twin cylinder motor that any crank could be made that would be IN balance throughout the rpm range.

Didn't Harley sue one of the Metric bike companies back in the '80s or '90s about the sound that the Metric bike made?  I thought Harley was claiming a copywrite on the way their bike sounds.  Is that a Urban Ledgend or did it happen?

:) :) :)
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2008, 11:47:07 AM »

i think that was urban legened, but i wouldnt put it past them

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2008, 11:51:37 AM »

Not aware of Harley suing anybody, but their  patent app. process got a lot of press.

http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/law/st_org/iptf/articles/content/1998101101.html
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2008, 11:51:44 AM »

i think that was urban legened, but i wouldnt put it past them

Not quite legend. They tried to patent the sound, including even patenting the "tinging" sound you get after you shut it down as it's cooling off. They lost that battle. But they did try to patent the "HD" sound! ;)

Hoist! 8)

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 05:50:21 PM »

They are caused by poor design and poor manufacturing quality, both of which are the result of cost cutting carried to extremes

Well said, and oh so true but a sad situation for the purist.  :nixweiss:

2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

gremlush

• I may not be good, BUT, I am slow.
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2008, 02:58:48 PM »

H-Ds have whats called  'knife-fork' rods , one rod sits inside the other. You have 2 cyl.  so , 360 degree times 2 = 720 . One cyl. fires at 315 degree and the other fires at 405 degrees ,there is your sound ! Put your hand  {with a glove} on the end of the front exhaust pipe ,and notice how many times it fires ,now do it on the back pipe , ALOT LESS , YES ?   Each motor ,has its own sound {knucks ,pans,shovel,EVO ,TC } do to there heads and cams ,pipes ,etc.  In my opion , the shovels had the sweetest sound ,just don't be in a closed garage with one running ,because you will die from the gas fumes ! Only 1/2 of the gas in the combustion chamber burns ,unless you 'dual plug' them !

RioGlide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 SE Road King - sold
    • CVO2: 07 VRSCDX - Night Rod Special - sold
    • CVO3: 11 FLRTUSE - Rio Red
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2008, 05:30:45 PM »

I have never paid much attention to V Rods....but have there been any significant quality issues with this motor?   :nixweiss:   :nixweiss:

Absolutely no issues reported with the V-Rod plant, aka Revolution.

Check out the V-rod forums, very very active.  That's one excellent powerplant.  But it lacks potato-potato.  Think big block Chevy or Nascar when at speed with decent exhaust (I have a Thunderheader on mine)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2008, 06:30:58 PM »

Absolutely no issues reported with the V-Rod plant, aka Revolution.

Check out the V-rod forums, very very active.  That's one excellent powerplant.  But it lacks potato-potato.  Think big block Chevy or Nascar when at speed with decent exhaust (I have a Thunderheader on mine)

I thought my 05 SE V-Rod sounded like a nasty Ferarri.

B B

RioGlide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 SE Road King - sold
    • CVO2: 07 VRSCDX - Night Rod Special - sold
    • CVO3: 11 FLRTUSE - Rio Red
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2008, 11:33:30 AM »

I thought my 05 SE V-Rod sounded like a nasty Ferarri.

B B

When I had only pulled off the airbox, I think I would agree with that assessment.  To me it seems that the choice of exhaust on Revo's makes a lot of difference on the sound of these bikes.

But they're all pure joy to me, an awesome ride in so many ways.  But hold the "potato".
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 21 queries.