Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Tyre changer  (Read 2505 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Tyre changer
« on: July 27, 2020, 09:02:54 PM »

Arrived today and got a good deal on it. I don't care much for the dismount/ mounting bar so I've ordered up this bar,

Sealey TC963 Tyre Bar for Aluminium Wheels

Going to have to do one modifications to it such as on the bottom for breaking the bead a peace of angle for holding the wheel in place I've cut out a bit of the sidewall from the old tyre a fixed it onto the steel that should protect the wheel.

For my first DIY tyre changer I think it'll work out alright.

Anyone else used these?
  This ones brand is from Durty Pro Tools an identical knock off from this brand at half the cost and have to do the same mods and bar change,...
Sealey TC965 Tyre Changer Motorcycle ATV Bike Motorbike Go Kart up to 21"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Tyre changer
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 10:28:58 AM »

Never used one like yours Pete.  I've got a manual tire machine that's a little bigger though.  Mine is this one:

https://www.nomartirechanger.com/Classic_Model_Motorcycle_Tire_Changer_p/tc-classic.htm

Only thing I can share is that it is fine for "normal" bike tires.  130 16 stuff is no problem.  This stiff sidewall on the Michelin Commander tires makes for a noticeable difference but it's still a manageable chore.  However.....

Some of the bigger tires, especially with the shorter sidewalls, are just unmanageable.  The 180-65-16 on the back of a SE Street Glide, for example, has taken 2 guys working harder than old guys want to work to barely get the tire off.  I've had a couple wheels on the tire machine that I just couldn't get the tire off. 

J.D.

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 11:01:30 AM »

Agree.  The Michelins especially have stiffer sidewalls than some brands.  Granted to date I've only changed a couple of sets of tires (manually without a changer like this), but with that limited experience I've found that leaving the tires out in the sun on a really hot day makes the job a bit easier.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 11:05:08 AM »

Looks like a good tyre changer.  :2vrolijk_21:  Several of us went in together & bought a tire (same thing only different) changer several years back.  Worked well until we got to the HD Rushmore years touring bikes.  Very stiff sidewalls on the newer touring tires made it difficult for 2-3 guys & finally I gave up & now have a shop do mine. 

Older bikes the changer works well.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 08:02:45 PM »

Thanks for the input guys,

Don,..I had looked at that style of machine you've got but I was put off by that post running down the back of it.

I was thinking about the stiffness of the sidewalls that was the main factor I went for the walk around type  and the bar with rollers to help eliminating drag.

Looks like a good tyre changer:2vrolijk_21:  Several of us went in together & bought a tire (same thing only different) changer several years back.  Worked well until we got to the HD Rushmore years touring bikes.  Very stiff sidewalls on the newer touring tires made it difficult for 2-3 guys & finally I gave up & now have a shop do mine. 

Older bikes the changer works well.

Well I'm hoping it'll do the trick.  Cheers

Agree.  The Michelins especially have stiffer sidewalls than some brands.  Granted to date I've only changed a couple of sets of tires (manually without a changer like this), but with that limited experience I've found that leaving the tires out in the sun on a really hot day makes the job a bit easier.

That  bits hard to do here in the UK It's an exception to have good sunny warm days . You can't count on the weather here.
Over a month ago we had two weeks of hot sunshine since then it's been wet sunny wet  sunny, sunny with showers, cloudy with sunny periods.
The wife has a good hairdryer I can tarp the tyre with the hairdryer blowing in it that my soften them up.

BTW,....I'm running Michelins Commander ll when the time comes I'll be putting the same back on that's when I'll find out if I've wasted my time or not with the thought I'd change my own tyres 😊

J.D.

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 11:49:15 AM »

Related...I've been running the C2s on my Dyna.  Granted this is a relatively lightweight and lower powered bike, but they ride nice and sure are wearing well.  This is the rear at ~7K.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 12:27:07 PM »

Related...I've been running the C2s on my Dyna.  Granted this is a relatively lightweight and lower powered bike, but they ride nice and sure are wearing well.  This is the rear at ~7K.

Lots of miles still to go on that one :2vrolijk_21:

I gotta say I'm pretty pleased with the C2s on my bike what a difference on handling and the ride.

Just got 4,769 on mine but they look like they were put on yesterday

spence

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2020 CVO Limited
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 08:24:09 AM »

Never used one like yours Pete.  I've got a manual tire machine that's a little bigger though.  Mine is this one:

https://www.nomartirechanger.com/Classic_Model_Motorcycle_Tire_Changer_p/tc-classic.htm

Only thing I can share is that it is fine for "normal" bike tires.  130 16 stuff is no problem.  This stiff sidewall on the Michelin Commander tires makes for a noticeable difference but it's still a manageable chore.  However.....

Some of the bigger tires, especially with the shorter sidewalls, are just unmanageable.  The 180-65-16 on the back of a SE Street Glide, for example, has taken 2 guys working harder than old guys want to work to barely get the tire off.  I've had a couple wheels on the tire machine that I just couldn't get the tire off.

I have the same thing as you.  Only issue I ever had with it was the last set of tires I changed for my buddy I had a hell of a time breaking the bead, and Im a 270lb dude haha.  Never had issues getting them off, getting them on can be a chore but always have a buddy to help me.  Was thinking of getting a ire warmer to help putting them on but havent decided yet if I want too. 

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 09:21:23 AM »

Finished up making a Sealey tyre changer bar. I got the overhaul Sealey bar kit and went from there.

It'll be some time before I actually get to see how well it works.

Hahaha,.... I feel like going and doing some burn outs just so I'll have to get new tyres just to try this gizmo out  ;D

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2020, 09:24:45 AM »

For what some of the fancier manual machines cost a guy could easily talk himself in to going with something like this:

https://www.derekweaver.com/bikers-garage/motorcycle-tire-changers/weaver-w-m807x-motorcycle-atv-tire-changer/

Not that I've ever considered buying one you understand....  ::)

J.D.

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2020, 09:35:53 AM »

That looks nice for the price, if you do a lot of changes and have the space.  :2vrolijk_21:

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2020, 09:36:24 AM »

For what some of the fancier manual machines cost a guy could easily talk himself in to going with something like this:

https://www.derekweaver.com/bikers-garage/motorcycle-tire-changers/weaver-w-m807x-motorcycle-atv-tire-changer/

:D :D

My wife keeps calling me nuts if I had a delivery and she saw that come out of the box she would say it's confirmed "you are nuts  ;D  ;D

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 10:12:29 AM »

That looks nice for the price, if you do a lot of changes and have the space.  :2vrolijk_21:

Yeah..... something like that would take some exceptional rationalizing  :huepfenlol2: .

Pete's wife would be right; "nuts."  But we could still make excuses.  Hell, Pete bought a whole house and moved and everything just so he could rebuild a garage in to a place to do more work on his bike!  If you're doing all that what's a tire changer?

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2020, 10:32:02 AM »

I do suppose it could be justified if I got two or three more bikes. But then I'd have to build a bigger garage for it and the bikes.

You know how that old saying goes,..."in your wildest dreams" plus I'd be a batchelor again  :P

J.D.

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2020, 11:01:20 AM »

We're all a little nuts or we wouldn't be here.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2020, 11:06:08 AM »

We're all a little nuts or we wouldn't be here.

^^ Likely the truest words ever written here...  ^^

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2020, 11:35:32 AM »

^^ Likely the truest words ever written here...  ^^

^^
One of the most common problems in every bike forum are the loose nuts on the seat.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2020, 12:06:21 PM »

^^
One of the most common problems in every bike forum are the loose nuts on the seat.

That's getting awfully personal. 

Plus it's not nice to talk about Neal that way.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2020, 02:17:14 PM »

That's getting awfully personal. 

Plus it's not nice to talk about Neal that way.

It can be a single loose nut or a couple of loose nuts.  Not referring to Neal but now that you mention it anybody with the patience, wherewithal, knowledge, and skill required to run a forum such as this, considering all the nuts who post here must be... well you know...

:rolleyes4: :mad: :multi: :6:

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2020, 10:04:28 AM »

That’s the one I bought.
I have a few accessories to go with it to change all sorts of tires and wheel sizes.
Used it on lawnmower tires, truck tires, 21” m/c wheels, latest model Harley tires with very stiff sidewalls, etc,etc.
Proper lube and warm tire is key.
JMHO
 8)
HOGMIKE
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 24 queries.