Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: wheel balancing  (Read 2340 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: wheel balancing
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 10:55:24 PM »

hey grc, I think you defeated your own point. That is what the industry wants you to do is go to the local dealer for all your needs (parts ,repairs,etc) . Maybe it's all about the MONEY they would loose if they promoted these products, as people would find another reason not to spend their money at a dealership or a prefered shop. Don't know what the Dealership shop rates are in your area but here on the West coast of Canada it can be upwards of $110 / hr. I'm still going to try the centralmatics

I was talking about manufacturer's.  They don't give a rat's butt about a dealership losing a few bucks on wheel balance jobs, they care about how much it costs them (the manufacturer) to give the customer a vehicle that doesn't have wheel balance issues.  The auto industry is a little different than the Harley situation in one very important area.  The auto industry is very competitive and good manufacturers try their best to improve quality and reduce failures to retain and gain customers.  If they could throw a handful of cheap beads (you can bet the auto industry could buy them dirt cheap) in the tires as the cars and truck were built, and the beads actually did all the wonderful things that these companies claim, it would be a win-win situation.  Cost reduction for the manufacturer, and perfect balance for the life of the tires for the customer.  And yet not a single manufacturer has adopted this technology.  I guess it must be another of those conspiracy deals like the 100 mpg carburetor. ;)

By all means try the Centramatic device.  But before you just bolt it on and then assume it's somehow performing magic, ride the bike with no balance weights on the wheels first and get a good feel (if you can) for any tire/wheel vibration.  Then install the Centramatic and immediately ride the bike over the same route while everything is fresh in your memory to make a comparison. It's very easy for most people to convince themselves of improvements that are not really there, especially when the only measurement involved is subjective "feel".

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

nomad56

• CVO1: '04 B/B woods 5g cams v&h true duels 100hp-107tq
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 11:33:47 PM »

good advise on riding before and after to determine results. The placibo effect is huge. In my case, I've already been stuck out touring with no wheel weights and 100 miles to the closest tire shop to find out they don't have much experience with motorcycles, so I motored on. Mind you ..(at that time) the long hair and leather jacket my have had something to do with the lack of service.

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 01:45:44 AM »

I use the disc type balancers that are filled with Mercury on my Hummer H2, it has 37" tires and were not previously balanced.  I want to say they work great and they do, but at about 85MPH they begin to get out of balance.  Now in H2 that not really a bad thing as it reminds me to slow down. 
FuelMotos exhaust and tuning, Ohlins Front/Rear

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 08:57:51 PM »

Hi Guys
 My son tried them on his 2006 FXST. They work fine for general acelleration. But when drag racing red light to red light they do not work well under extreem acelleration
or decelleration due to the time it takes to ballance out. He was not happy with them.
Thanks,
Ltank

CVO King

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 04:58:04 PM »

One problem with the dyna beads is if your air supply has some moisture in it, the beads tend to "clump up" and now you have a heavy spot beating you in the butt all the way down the road. Never know about roadside filling stations, conv stores etc. - they usually don't have water separaters on their air compressors.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.612 seconds with 22 queries.