Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Air Shock Pressure Loss  (Read 770 times)

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
Air Shock Pressure Loss
« on: June 03, 2014, 04:08:09 PM »

Two days in with the new CVO Limted I checked the rear shock air pressure in preparation for a two day overnight ride and found zero pressure. I corrected it to 22lbs. and after six days it is back to zero. What gives? I am taking it back for the 1000 mile check and will be mention  this but I wanted to see if anyone else had a problem like this?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Air Shock Pressure Loss
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 04:43:46 PM »

Two days in with the new CVO Limted I checked the rear shock air pressure in preparation for a two day overnight ride and found zero pressure. I corrected it to 22lbs. and after six days it is back to zero. What gives? I am taking it back for the 1000 mile check and will be mention  this but I wanted to see if anyone else had a problem like this?

Could be a bad shock, but in many cases it's actually a problem with the fill valve or the air lines where they attach to the shocks or fill valve.  I think I'd start by closely inspecting the air lines for any signs of damage, then I'd pump the system up to the max and check at each air line connection for leaks with the old standby soapy water trick.  If you get a leak at a fitting, you can remove the line from the fitting and retrim the end with a sharp single edge razor blade (make sure to make the cut perfectly square), then reinstall the line and retest.  Oh, and don't forget to check the shrader valve core for a leak as well.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 04:48:52 PM »

Thanks Jerry I am hoping it is easy and fast to fix. I will have the dealer do it since the bike is brand new.

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 05:39:07 PM »

On my 2014 I run 45lbs. Got home from Daytona this year and bike set for a few weeks. Got on it one night to ride and shocks were flat. I tried to air them and kept leaking down. I removed the left saddlebag and found the hose had came loose and was rubbing the tire. Rubbed a hole in the line.
I took some weatherstrip adhesive and patched it enough to get to the dealer to have a line put on.
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 07:27:16 PM »

Have the same problem with my bike. Took some soapy solution and sprayed on the left connectors that go to the shock. The leak was so bad it would not even make bubbles so had to listen carefully till I found it. Pulled the hose out of the connector and repositioned it, and so far no more leaks. Shocks are holding air just fine.

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 07:33:31 PM »

If you like to take a good curve now and then this is a good opportunity to get rid of the air shocks. At best they are crap.

Many good aftermarket shocks out there. I went with Öhlins but ther are other good brands.

I tossed my air shocks as soon as I got the MC home, about 4 miles.

Best $1K I spent on a HD.

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 25 queries.