Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: I'm finger tied tonight  (Read 9323 times)

Grover

• 1K CVO Member
Re: I'm finger tied tonight
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2007, 10:31:51 PM »

Try this one - The Awesome Harley-Davidson Quiz.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

11/15

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2007, 10:50:20 PM »

'48-'66 Panhead, '66-'84 Shovelhead,
 Can't forget the PanShovel cross breeds.

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2007, 04:49:31 AM »

d00d
         Grover's post had a bunch of question marks, so here's my best guess. I'm not 100% sure as I'm doing this from memory as opposed to grabbing one of 20 or so H-D books sittin less than 10 feet away in the bookrack

Flatheads were the first motors and ran from 1903 to 1932 I believe when the Knuckleheads came out. First year for Panhead was 1948, first year for Shovelhead is a matter of debate because of the Pan-Shovel thing. The first full Shovelhead was 1968 I believe. You had Pan-Shovels from like 65-67  Evo's hit the street "officially in 1984, but there were a bunch of mules out there in 1983 and for whatever reason the MoCo sold them so if anyone ever tells you he/she's got an 83 Evo don't get into an argument over it cause you could be wrong. Twincams first appeared in 99 on the baggers with the Evo line running another year in the cruiser models [highlight]I think the Revolution first appeared in 2003 That's weird that the most recent one is the fuzziest to me.[/highlight]

B B

That's 'cause you're a 100 years older than when the flatheads came out..... ooooops.....[smiley=lipsrsealed2.gif]

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2007, 10:53:17 AM »

Try this one - The Awesome Harley-Davidson Quiz.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

That was a little better d00d.  12/15. How the hell am I supposed to know how to spell Roeder. ;) Hoist!  8-)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2007, 05:44:46 PM »

Excellent!!  Now can someone tell us why they were named that and what year/s each motor was produced?

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

Hey, wait a minute….what about the 1948 and later 2 stroke; snowmobile; 2 and 4 stroke Italian stuff; golf cart; K model; and XL’s. There are sub categories by performance and displacement, not to mention race bikes.

For what it’s worth, I am not aware of any factory production overlap between the Pan and Shovel. The last model year for the Panhead was also the first production year for the Electra Glide; 1965. There may be some confusion between the Pan and Shovel because of the generator crankcase used by the Shovel from 1966 through 1969.

The 63 and later Pan and Shovelhead top ends were a simple “bolt on” interchange if you also changed the tappet blocks, pushrods and covers. You also needed to accommodate the differences in the top end oiling, which was a minor issue. Top end oiling was more of a challenge on pre 63 Panheads being updated to Shovelhead crankcases.

As I remember it, the terms Pan-Shovel or Shovel-Pan came from the folks running Panheads; usually Choppers, who swapped out the Panhead top end for a Shovelhead. This was commonly done in the 1970’s. Any Panhead machine that you see running around with a Shovelhead top end is not a regular production built Motorcycle.  

djkak

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2007, 06:01:12 PM »

Hey, wait a minute….what about the 1948 and later 2 stroke; snowmobile; 2 and 4 stroke Italian stuff; golf cart; K model; and XL’s. There are sub categories by performance and displacement, not to mention race bikes.

For what it’s worth, I am not aware of any factory production overlap between the Pan and Shovel. The last model year for the Panhead was also the first production year for the Electra Glide; 1965. There may be some confusion between the Pan and Shovel because of the generator crankcase used by the Shovel from 1966 through 1969.

The 63 and later Pan and Shovelhead top ends were a simple “bolt on” interchange if you also changed the tappet blocks, pushrods and covers. You also needed to accommodate the differences in the top end oiling, which was a minor issue. Top end oiling was more of a challenge on pre 63 Panheads being updated to Shovelhead crankcases.

As I remember it, the terms Pan-Shovel or Shovel-Pan came from the folks running Panheads; usually Choppers, who swapped out the Panhead top end for a Shovelhead. This was commonly done in the 1970’s. Any Panhead machine that you see running around with a Shovelhead top end is not a regular production built Motorcycle.  

djkak

Hey DJ, what's up? Man, I know who to call when I need any old HD info! My friend's still ridin' his pan-shovel chopper and still getting handlebar height tickets with it (he's always last too)! ;) Hoist!  8-)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2007, 06:10:25 PM »

Sorry DJ, didn't mean to suggest they were factory supplied.  Just that they were so common, at least for awhile, it's hard not to count them in the heritage.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2007, 06:53:25 PM »

Sorry DJ, didn't mean to suggest they were factory supplied.  Just that they were so common, at least for awhile, it's hard not to count them in the heritage.

Check.  :)

djkak

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2007, 06:59:14 PM »

Hey DJ, what's up? Man, I know who to call when I need any old HD info! My friend's still ridin' his pan-shovel chopper and still getting handlebar height tickets with it (he's always last too)! ;) Hoist!  8-)

This retro thing isn't getting any easier to do, especially when you consider that I am going out tonight to kill a couple more brain cells. I am always reminding myself to save a few brain cells for the home stretch. :)

djkak

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2007, 02:18:19 AM »

Three whole pages of chatter when there was nothing to say.

How about just sitting, quietly together, comfortable enough in our own skins that no talk is needed.  

Just don't look at the top 40 thread tonight.  I have not been around a lot lately and it is showing.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2007, 02:23:43 AM »

How about just sitting, quietly together, comfortable enough in our own skins that no talk is needed.  

A woman that doesn't want to talk.  No wonder Mr. We is in love. ;D

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2007, 03:17:49 AM »

[highlight]Just don't look at the top 40 thread tonight[/highlight].  I have not been around a lot lately and it is showing.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

What, I didn't notice anything ::) :-/ ;D:

Reply  Quote  Notify of replies    

[highlight]10 [/highlight] CVO / Other Topics / Re: d00d's Hip Replacement
 on: Yesterday at 11:05pm  
Started by hard10 | [highlight]Post by Mrs.WeCVO [/highlight]
  Gary, Jamey and I are wishing you a quick and painless surgery and a speedier recovery.  Can't wait till we get together again, riding like we aught to.  Can't believe it almost here already.  Good Luck and all our best wishes and lots and lots of love.      

[highlight]11 [/highlight] CVO / New Member Introduction / Re: New from VA
 on: Yesterday at 10:58pm  
Started by 07_Flhrse3 | [highlight]Post by Mrs.WeCVO [/highlight]
A Great Big CVO Welcome to you,    glad you found your way here.     There are just a ton of us Virginians on this site.  Amazing we don't see very much of each other.  Let's keep our calendars open for 07 and get a contingent of CVOs together for a ride next year!    

[highlight]12  [/highlight]CVO / New Member Introduction / Re: New in SC area
 on: Yesterday at 10:55pm  
Started by tigertr71 | [highlight]Post by Mrs.WeCVO [/highlight]
A Great Big CVO Welcome to you,    glad you found your way here.    

[highlight]13 [/highlight] CVO / New Member Introduction / Re: newbie from Dallas, GA
 on: Yesterday at 10:54pm  
Started by dereck | [highlight]Post by Mrs.WeCVO [/highlight]

[highlight]14[/highlight]  CVO / New Member Introduction / Re: New Member in PAC NW
 on: Yesterday at 10:53pm  
Started by RGL | [highlight]Post by Mrs.WeCVO [/highlight]

[highlight]15 [/highlight] CVO / New Member Introduction / Re: Hello from KC
 on: Yesterday at 10:52pm  
Started by 07SEUC_KC |[highlight] Post by Mrs.WeCVO [/highlight]
You gotta meet up with us when we get together for a tour/ride/steak in April.  A Great Big CVO Welcome to you,    glad you found your way here.    

[highlight]16[/highlight]  CVO / New Member Introduction / Re: New member from Arctic Norway
 on: Yesterday at 10:50pm  
Started by dagbre | [highlight]Post by Mrs.WeCVO [/highlight]

[highlight]17[/highlight]  CVO / New Member Introduction / Re: Just stopin in to say hello!
 on: Yesterday at 10:47pm  
Started by Cabo | [highlight]Post by Mrs.WeCVO [/highlight]
A Great Big CVO Welcome Back to you,    glad you found your way here.    

Glad to see you around again, been missing that avatar!  

[highlight]18 [/highlight] CVO / New Member Introduction / Re: Hello
 on: Yesterday at 10:46pm  
Started by onebadcvospringer |[highlight] Post by Mrs.WeCVO [/highlight]

[highlight]19  [/highlight]CVO / New Member Introduction / Re: New Member from Round Rock, TX here..
 on: Yesterday at 10:45pm  
Started by HDCrazy | [highlight]Post by Mrs.WeCVO [/highlight]

« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 03:20:20 AM by Rjob749 »

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2007, 05:13:50 AM »

;D ;D ;D  Man, it musta been quite around here for the past three weeks.  ;D ;D ;D  

But I am comfortable in my own skin that I don't have to talk just to hear myself   ;D ;D ;D  

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2007, 11:57:48 AM »

;D ;D ;D  Man, it musta been quite around here for the past three weeks.  ;D ;D ;D  

But I am comfortable in my own skin that I don't have to talk just to hear myself   ;D ;D ;D  

[smiley=rifle.gif] [smiley=whip.gif]  She shoots, she scores !!   [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2007, 12:32:34 PM »

[highlight]A better question; when did they make the first one that was right upon initial release?[/highlight] ;D

We're still waiting for this one aren't we?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 21 queries.