Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Stephanie  (Read 15672 times)

REGGAB

Stephanie
« on: May 31, 2007, 10:06:23 PM »

When Renea and I got married in 1996, Stef came as part of the total package............and I must say that I am blessed to have her.  I'm the only Daddy she knows, and as far as I'm concerned, she is my daughter.  Alot has happened in the last 11 years.  For one thing, Stef is now 17 years old and will be 18 in October.  2002 was a rough year for us.  I was stationed in Korea (except for my first tour, which was in Germany, during my 21+ year Army career I always took one year overseas tours to Korea, since it meant I could come back to Ft. Campbell) that year when we found out that Stef had Neurofibromatosis.  There are myriad manifestations of the disease, but the one which concerned us was the benign tumor in her brain, which blocked the flow of cerebralspinal fluid, which caused hydrocephalus.  Her neurosurgeon told us that it had occured over time, since we hadn't noticed any neurological symptoms, but that she would eventually have to have a shunt.  Fast forward to Feb 2004.  Stef takes a fall and fractures her left hip.  Has surgery that evening to reduce the fracture.  APR 2004, her speech becomes slurred.  She can't balance during rehab.  She is constantly nauseated.  She has the shunt surgery, and almost immediately, she improves.  Jump ahead to Nov 2004.  Stef develops avascular necrosis in her hip.  DEC 2004 the hardware, which was used during the initial surgery is removed in preparation for a Free Vascularized Fibular Graft at Duke University, which she underwent in FEB 2005.  Basically, the fibula of the left leg was used as a graft to generate new bone growth in her hip.  That worked well, except she developed a pretty bad contracture in her left leg, which prevented her from flexing her leg straight down and back, like when one normally walks.  She endured endless PT and 2 soft tissue release surgeries, but not much range of motion was gained.  JUN 2006, her shunt fails.........right in the middle of our move to Huntsville.  That got us a quick flight to Birmingham for surgery to revise her shunt.  Again, once the shunt was revised, she was in great shape.  On 29 MAR 2007, she has the most radical procedure done to date.  Her orthopod released two tendons in her left leg and fixed an external fixator on her left hip.  It is the same treatment used for children with Perthes Disease.  She had to go back to the operating room on 24 APR for an adjustment, since the distraction was pulling her leg to the left instead of straight down.  She'll be in the fixator until July, but the good thing is she is perfectly straight now.  Once the fixator is surgically removed, she'll have to wear a brace for 5 months.  The goal is to have her walking with a normal gait for her senior prom and when she walks to get her diploma.  I've attached a picture of the external fixator shortly after Stef came out of surgery on 29 MAR.  It is attached in 3 places in her femur and three places in the dense bone of her pelvis.

Renea, Stef and I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and prayers for her full recovery.  Thanks for listening.

SPIDERMAN

Re: Stephanie
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 10:22:28 PM »

My kids are my life. You've got my meager prayers anytime you need them. Please tell Stephanie that stories like what you have written about her on this site become an inspiration to many people when they feel as though they can't go forward. Thank you for sharing and God Bless all of you

displacing air

• Elite CVO Member
  • I am glad God answers no sometimes!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 10:41:48 PM »

Prayers on the way...
And tell Steph. we are thinking about her.

DisAir

Psalms 34:18-20  The Lord is near the Brokenhearted, and saves those who are
crushed in spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous; but the Lord delivers
him out of them all. He keeps all of his bones;not one of them is broken.
2006 SEUC ...Watermelon Flavor!

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 10:45:33 PM »

Prayers on the way...

DisAir

crushed in spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous; but the Lord delivers

Barry,
        You fillin in for JR buddy ?  Good job brother, keep it goin

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 11:35:02 PM »

My prayers are with you and your daughter.  May she be better than ever.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 11:59:40 PM »

Good lord, poor girl.  Gone through more than anyone ever deserves.  Strong young woman, strong family.  Sounds like you're seeing light at the end of the tunnel now.  Best of all possible wishes toward continued recovery and happiness. 

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 12:13:45 AM »

Prayers from half way round the world and closer soon.  You are fortunate to have the strong family it takes to power through the obstacles she has faced, keep that strong bond and we'll pray that the prom and graduation see her dancing and walking to receive her diploma.

Rog

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 12:22:05 AM »

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers..god bless for all to be strong and healthy
and thank you sir for your service....
i have fought throught the EFMP puzzle myself for 16 years..  i know how much fun the army ( and our good frineds at TryandgetCare)makes that!!

REGGAB

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 12:48:57 AM »

My kids are my life. You've got my meager prayers anytime you need them. Please tell Stephanie that stories like what you have written about her on this site become an inspiration to many people when they feel as though they can't go forward. Thank you for sharing and God Bless all of you

Thanks BB.  I have another story concerning my 21 year old daughter that I'll share later.  There is nothing more special than our children.  They are what life is all about.  Stef has been a huge inspiration to me.  Whenever I feel like the world is crapping all over me, I think of Stef, and I'm tempted to find someone willing to kick my a$$ and knock some fugging sense into me.  Very much appreciate your kind thoughts.

REGGAB

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 12:51:21 AM »

Prayers on the way...

DisAir

Thanks Barry.  I hope you are healing as well, and that you get that melon fixed up real sweet.  I'll give you a holler next time I head into Clarksville on a Saturday, and we'll grab lunch at Knockum Hill BBQ in Herndon, KY.

REGGAB

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 12:52:03 AM »

Barry,
        You fillin in for JR buddy ?  Good job brother, keep it goin

Amen to that.

REGGAB

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 12:53:02 AM »

My prayers are with you and your daughter.  May she be better than ever.

Thanks Brother.  Very much appreciate your kind thoughts and words.

REGGAB

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 12:58:51 AM »

Good lord, poor girl.  Gone through more than anyone ever deserves.  Strong young woman, strong family.  Sounds like you're seeing light at the end of the tunnel now.  Best of all possible wishes toward continued recovery and happiness. 

Thanks, Don.  Like I told BB, she's an inspiration to me when I think I have it rough.  She never wavers.  Rock steady.  Steady Rock!  Although I could do better as a God fearing man, each and every day I kneel down and thank God for his rich blessings upon me and my family.  I have a wonderful family, and I love them dearly.  Now............if I could just get some friggin' sleep.  ;D  Very much appreciate your well wishes, and I do hope I get to meet you the next time you are down Alabama way.  Better still, next time Renea and I get a hankerin' for some Throwed Rolls at Lambert's Cafe in Sikeston, would you consider meeting us for lunch?

REGGAB

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2007, 01:01:01 AM »

Prayers from half way round the world and closer soon.  You are fortunate to have the strong family it takes to power through the obstacles she has faced, keep that strong bond and we'll pray that the prom and graduation see her dancing and walking to receive her diploma.

Rog

Thanks for the well wishes, Roger, and thank you for reminding me of the good fortune I have in my family.  I truely love them with all my heart.  We're really looking forward to clearing these last few hurdles.

REGGAB

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 01:04:51 AM »

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers..god bless for all to be strong and healthy
and thank you sir for your service....
i have fought throught the EFMP puzzle myself for 16 years..  i know how much fun the army ( and our good frineds at TryandgetCare)makes that!!

Thank you very much for your wellwishes.  And THANK YOU for your continued service to our great nation.  Since I'm now retired and working as a materiel developer, it is my desire to ensure you are fielded with exavtly what you need to accomplish your mission.  To that end eash day I strive.  "TryandgetCare"  Never heard thatone before, but it is funny and fitting.  Makes me glad I bought that supplement through MOAA.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.568 seconds with 21 queries.