Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 113

Author Topic: Harley 117 Kit  (Read 471752 times)

Surly

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

Re: Harley 117 Kit
« Reply #855 on: June 15, 2016, 01:42:36 AM »

Hi Hilly,

It has the HD VPC added to the stock clutch. Very light, nice take up and hasn't slipped in use yet.

Cheers,
Surly

GKroadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: CVO Road King 2014 (FLHRSE6) sold
    • CVO2: CVO Street Glide 2021 (FLHXSE)
« Reply #856 on: June 15, 2016, 02:57:19 AM »

Let us know what you think once you get her runnin"

Thanks KC2GIW & RoadDawg  8)

Yeah I will do definitely.....over the Weekend is my 300 miles test ride and the Dyno sessions follows the week after.
CVO Street Glide 2021
FLHXSE
Sunset Orange & Sunset Black Fade
Jekill & Hyde Exhaust
http://jekillandhyde.com/en_US/our-technique
131cui

lanesplitter

• NY

« Reply #857 on: June 16, 2016, 02:13:56 PM »

Progress pictures of the build...

Hey new to the forum and have the same bike, picked her up in April.. My question is, I am going with the same pipes as yours and it appears yours are coated satin chrome? They look awesome and want to do the same.. Where and how much? Thanks! Ohh and how's your 117 doing?

Dyno tomorrow...

Screeper

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: First CVO 2015 Street Glide Black/Gold
« Reply #858 on: June 18, 2016, 03:37:12 PM »

Thoughts on 117 Kit in my 2015 Street Glide

Harley did install but appeared to have no idea how to tune it.  Tech came to me and said couldn't tune it with the full sac pipe which I knew was BS.  Said wasn't making horse power but break it in and bring it back.  Would have to likely buy a V&H pipe as that would work better.

Went to a real tuner who said only thing limiting power was the stock screaming eagle air filter and not by much. Swapped out the breather for an open RSD. Got 121 horse and 130ilb of torque out of motor. Thanks Mark

Be ready to hear the coconut sound from intake especially if you get an open breather.  Nothing wrong with it apparently but certainly a way to know if work was done on a bike.  Hint Turn up stereo.....

Crazy power.  Better work on throttle control as it can break the tire loose no problem. 

big motor yanks the bike around at low speeds.  it can sneak up on you if your not light with the clutch.

Idle has a cool lope to it.

All and all glad I did it.  I have faster bikes but this has really made my Harley a lot more fun and certainly adds to the smile factor.

"There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men,out of necessity, are forced by circumstance to meet.”

Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.

RoadDawg

• RDMC
  • Elite CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout
« Reply #859 on: June 19, 2016, 07:03:11 AM »

Went to a real tuner who said only thing limiting power was the stock screaming eagle air filter and not by much. Swapped out the breather for an open RSD. Got 121 horse and 130ilb of torque out of motor. Thanks Mark

Be ready to hear the coconut sound from intake especially if you get an open breather.  Nothing wrong with it apparently but certainly a way to know if work was done on a bike.  Hint Turn up stereo.....

Crazy power.  Better work on throttle control as it can break the tire loose no problem. 

big motor yanks the bike around at low speeds.  it can sneak up on you if your not light with the clutch.

Idle has a cool lope to it.

All and all glad I did it.  I have faster bikes but this has really made my Harley a lot more fun and certainly adds to the smile factor.

Nice numbers on the dyno. I agree the power can sneak up on you and I like the sound of the lope with new 259e cams, but you lost me on the coconut sound.
I just had CNC head work done on mine. Tuner says ride it 500 miles before he tunes. He does the first 50 on the dyno. Should have new numbers in another week or so.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 08:26:29 AM by RoadDawg »
Bill - Greenville, South Carolina

2014 CVO Breakout
Hard Candy Sedona Sand & Blaze Orange with Black Abyss Graphics
117 Pro Race Kit
Ward Performance Heads
Bassani ProStreet Turnouts
124 HP 133 TQ

dnlpnd

• Full CVO Member
  • "Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid."~J.W.
    • IA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHRSE6
« Reply #860 on: June 19, 2016, 10:56:06 AM »

While I am a little disappointed the numbers were not higher, other than saying, “numbers vary from dyno to dyno” there were a multitude of things working against a good tune.  We were under a time crunch for me being at work the next day (got home at 1:15am), there was a severe thunderstorm rolling in, the engine was tight with only 50 dyno miles on it, and despite what the graph says the ambient conditions were ~94F with ~70% humidity.  So, I believe once the engine has some miles on it, there is additional tuning work to be done.

Shortcomings?…
A consulting engine builder (on this forum) does not like my pipe/muffler (vs. 2-1 & baffle size/style) choice and my actual engine builder does not like my intake (vs. HPI 58mm) choice.  They believe I have left easy power on the table, but both components were reused from my previous stage III build.  I would love to hear CVOHarley.com opinions on this.

Things I am noticing after one ride, first the good…
Significant power increase from my previous stage III build with Fueling 574 cams!  Two-up ridability is much improved as torque starts much lower.

The not so good…
Excessive valve train noise (wife said, “what’s that noise, I’ve never heard that before?”)
Excessive heat (on +90F day, wife said, “is the heat always going to be like this from now on?”)

Weak link…
Stock bottom-end with .0035 crank run-out

Please check my signature for specs before asking redundant spec questions.

Oh, and surprisingly my pistons were .007 (instead of .004) in the hole.  So, .027 HGs (instead of .030) were used to compensate.

Thanks,

dnlpnd
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 11:38:02 AM by dnlpnd »
SE Drop-On 117
SE Hi-Cap Oil Pan
SE Hi-Vol Oil Pump
SE Cam Plate
SE Adj Pushrods
SE Pro 58mm TB
SE 5.3 Injectors
SE Hvy Brthr Elite
Dynojet PV2
Dynojet TT-5X
Jackpot 2-1-2 SS
Jackpot Full X-over
Paul Yaffe Monsta 45s
GMR 600 Cams
S&S Prem Tappets
Ward's CNC Ported 110 Heads
AV&V Valve Springs
Cometic .027 HG
Red Shift Dual Piston Tensioner
Axtell Oil Bypass Valve
AIM Clutch Springs
10.8:1, 132ft-lb, 126hp SAE

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #861 on: June 19, 2016, 11:56:26 AM »

While I am a little disappointed the numbers were not higher, other than saying, “numbers vary from dyno to dyno” there were a multitude of things working against a good tune.  We were under a time crunch for me being at work the next day (got home at 1:15am), there was a severe thunderstorm rolling in, the engine was tight with only 50 dyno miles on it, and despite what the graph says the ambient conditions were ~94F with ~70% humidity.  So, I believe once the engine has some miles on it, there is additional tuning work to be done.

My initial reaction is....
I would like to see the rest of the dyno graph showing AFR. 2nd, they either loaded a canned map and made a couple of tweaks or this guy "might" not know what he's doing...... I'm assuming a dealership dyno? There is no way that a full tune can be accomplished with only 10 runs and have it be right. Consider another tune.
Exhaust system..... IMO, probably hurting.
Throttle body... IMO, not enough to consider changing.
Heavy Breather Elite.... less surface area than a standard heavy breather, I would like to see what the difference would be with no air cleaner on it to see if this is hindering.

10.8 compression is definitely going to be hotter as well as a poor tune.

All just my opinions of course.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 12:00:06 PM by Mr. Warlock »
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

dnlpnd

• Full CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #862 on: June 19, 2016, 12:41:09 PM »

My initial reaction is....
I would like to see the rest of the dyno graph showing AFR. 2nd, they either loaded a canned map and made a couple of tweaks or this guy "might" not know what he's doing...... I'm assuming a dealership dyno? There is no way that a full tune can be accomplished with only 10 runs and have it be right. Consider another tune.
Exhaust system..... IMO, probably hurting.
Throttle body... IMO, not enough to consider changing.
Heavy Breather Elite.... less surface area than a standard heavy breather, I would like to see what the difference would be with no air cleaner on it to see if this is hindering.

10.8 compression is definitely going to be hotter as well as a poor tune.

All just my opinions of course.

Sure, I asked for and appreciate your honest opinion.

No, I would never have work and tune like this done at a dealer!  Engine building and tuning was done at the establishment listed on the graph.  The tuning guy is very experienced (I would say expert level) with the Power Vision.  Since I had the Target Tune on the bike, he simply used the dyno brake to fill in every throttle and RPM position on the auto-tune built AFR map.  He did 4 WOT dyno runs with the last one manually corrected/richened to smooth the 3,000 PRM hump in the torque curve.  The other runs were break-in related.

Yeah, Ward’s Performance said the same thing about my SE intake, not worth the $’s to upgrade to HPI of same size, but my engine builder is pretty polarized against anything Screamin Eagle.  Besides the SE intake, he also poo-pooed my SE cam plate, SE oil pump, and Axtell oil bypass.  He wanted me to use all Dan Thayer stuff.  My builder also wanted me to use R&R heads, but I really liked what Ward's was doing with stock 110 SE heads.  My builder hated the SE pistons that came in the 117 drop-in kit.  He showed me where the SE pistions will structurally fail and how the SE oil rings will fail compared to Wiseco piston construction and rings, but he stocked nothing equivalent with proper deck height.  Of course he was suspicious about the SE drop-in thin steel cylinder liners.  Fortunately, my SE 117 cylinders tested good in his torque plates.  Full disclosure, my builder makes and sells custom torque plates and 100% cast iron cylinders.

Yeah, GMR Steve did not care for 2-1-2, larger diam baffles, and perforated vs. louvered baffles.

It was my understanding that the HB Elite actually has MORE surface, not less than standard HB, hence it being “Elite”.

I did not equate 10.8:1 creating more heat, but makes sense…interesting!

Thank You,

dnlpnd
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 05:29:40 PM by dnlpnd »
SE Drop-On 117
SE Hi-Cap Oil Pan
SE Hi-Vol Oil Pump
SE Cam Plate
SE Adj Pushrods
SE Pro 58mm TB
SE 5.3 Injectors
SE Hvy Brthr Elite
Dynojet PV2
Dynojet TT-5X
Jackpot 2-1-2 SS
Jackpot Full X-over
Paul Yaffe Monsta 45s
GMR 600 Cams
S&S Prem Tappets
AV&V Valve Springs
Cometic .027 HG
Axtell Oil Bypass Valve
AIM Clutch Springs

ultraswede

« Reply #863 on: June 19, 2016, 01:33:17 PM »

Did he tune the ignition timing?

Timing is very important  to get the best Tq/Hp out of a motor, AFR is important, but ignition timing has the potential to have a greater effect on the result power vise.

dnlpnd

• Full CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #864 on: June 19, 2016, 01:47:35 PM »

Timing is very important  to get the best Tq/Hp out of a motor, AFR is important, but ignition timing has the potential to have a greater effect on the result power vise.

Well, sort of...

Hyperformance has a generic timing tweak they routinely integrate into all their Power Vision tunes.  A year and half ago, we did before and after WOT dyno runs with the Hyperformance timing tweak being the only difference and it did noticeably improve the graphs.

The timing tweak propagated forward from my final stage III 110ci map (created on their dyno) when the map was sent to Dynojet for conversion to Target Tune, 117 displacement and 5.3 injectors was reset, and then PV TT auto-tune updated AFR tables on-the-fly for this 117 build.  With time allotted, one manual AFR tweak was made outside of auto-tune that I witnessed help smooth the 3,000 RPM hump in the torque curve.  The tuner guy said he might have been able to get the hump a little smoother on the torque curve, but it probably wasn't worth the additional dyno time, especially considering the time constraint and impending thunderstorms.

Thanks,

dnlpnd
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 05:55:42 PM by dnlpnd »
SE Drop-On 117
SE Hi-Cap Oil Pan
SE Hi-Vol Oil Pump
SE Cam Plate
SE Adj Pushrods
SE Pro 58mm TB
SE 5.3 Injectors
SE Hvy Brthr Elite
Dynojet PV2
Dynojet TT-5X
Jackpot 2-1-2 SS
Jackpot Full X-over
Paul Yaffe Monsta 45s
GMR 600 Cams
S&S Prem Tappets
AV&V Valve Springs
Cometic .027 HG
Axtell Oil Bypass Valve
AIM Clutch Springs

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #865 on: June 19, 2016, 03:21:27 PM »

Well, sort of...

Hyperformance has a generic timing tweak they routinely integrate

So..... no.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #866 on: June 19, 2016, 07:51:38 PM »

Do a log of timing, ion sensing events.
Check the compression.
Look at the WOT maximum rpm MAP pressure, at sea level it should read 100KPA.

Screeper

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: First CVO 2015 Street Glide Black/Gold
« Reply #867 on: June 19, 2016, 08:34:30 PM »

Nice numbers on the dyno. I agree the power can sneak up on you and I like the sound of the lope with new 259e cams, but you lost me on the coconut sound.
I just had CNC head work done on mine. Tuner says ride it 500 miles before he tunes. He does the first 50 on the dyno. Should have new numbers in another week or so.

Its the flutter sound from the throttle body.  i believe its caused by overlap from the cam.  A fair amount of info on the net about it.
"There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men,out of necessity, are forced by circumstance to meet.”

Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
« Reply #868 on: June 20, 2016, 09:36:04 AM »

The not so good…
Excessive valve train noise (wife said, “what’s that noise, I’ve never heard that before?”)
Excessive heat (on +90F day, wife said, “is the heat always going to be like this from now on?”)

Thanks,

dnlpnd

I went with the TW9B-6 and I've noticed a difference in the cam noise compared to the 259E in my previous build. Rocker box area is quiet but definitely more noise from the cam chest area.

As far as heat I don't feel any difference even on 90+ days. Still has breakin map in it but will be dyno'd soon.
2019 FLHXSE Charred Steel/Lightning Silver
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLTRXS Wicked Red Denim
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

KC2GIW

• RUB
  • Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2016 White Amethyst CVO Street Glide
« Reply #869 on: June 20, 2016, 12:41:49 PM »

Its the flutter sound from the throttle body.  i believe its caused by overlap from the cam.  A fair amount of info on the net about it.

This is more likely than not the throttle blade snapping open and closed at idle.  Most 58mm TBW bikes do this...for better or worse.
Matt - Syracuse, NY

2016 White Amethyst FLHXSE.
117 SE drop-in kit.
Jackpot 2:1:2, V&H 450 Titans.

2018 Arctic White Corvette Grand Sport
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 113

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 21 queries.