Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone clean off carbon deposits while the head(s) are off?  (Read 9412 times)

Sean M Cary

I have my front head off - waiting on the head gaskets I ordered...  Will have the rear off when I button up the front.  Reason its off is really, really stupid so I won't get into that.

Anyway...

Was surprised by the amount of carbon deposits in the head/combustion chamber and on the piston head.

Did a bunch of reading on this, most not on MC's.  Was about 50/50 - clean it or bolt it up as is.  Chemicals and solutions ranging from ATF, Sea Foam, Simple Green, Gasoline, Brake Parts Cleaner - the gamut.  I used the Sea Foam and some Simple Green - and the carbon really doesn't budge.

I took some Sea Foam and filled the combustion chamber and it cleaned the combustion chamber pretty well, valves are cleaned off - etc.

I gently pried off the larger crud from the piston, taking great care to not mar or scratch the piston head.

Anyone do any more then that?

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
Re: Anyone clean off carbon deposits while the head(s) are off?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 11:10:38 PM »

I saw mine when they came out and when they went back in. They had indeed been cleaned, but I don't know how.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 09:02:30 AM »

I have my front head off - waiting on the head gaskets I ordered...  Will have the rear off when I button up the front.  Reason its off is really, really stupid so I won't get into that.

Anyway...

Was surprised by the amount of carbon deposits in the head/combustion chamber and on the piston head.

Did a bunch of reading on this, most not on MC's.  Was about 50/50 - clean it or bolt it up as is.  Chemicals and solutions ranging from ATF, Sea Foam, Simple Green, Gasoline, Brake Parts Cleaner - the gamut.  I used the Sea Foam and some Simple Green - and the carbon really doesn't budge.

I took some Sea Foam and filled the combustion chamber and it cleaned the combustion chamber pretty well, valves are cleaned off - etc.

I gently pried off the larger crud from the piston, taking great care to not mar or scratch the piston head.

Anyone do any more then that?

Wire wheel works pretty good, fine wire.
HOGMIKE

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 11:04:09 AM »

Removing the carbon is pretty simple if the parts are off the bike; just soak in solvent until soft and then scrape with a non-scratching scraper (plastic, wood, etc.).  Cleaning the piston crowns is a little more complicated if still in the cylinders, but the same idea applies.  Since you can't just soak the parts in a pan of solvent, use solvent on rags to soften the stuff and then carefully scrape with a non-scratching scraper.  Do this with the piston at TDC, and when finished rotate the engine so the piston is down a bit in the cylinder and clean out any gunk that dribbled down on the cylinder walls.

I wouldn't worry about a light even coating, as that is normal and it will quickly return even if you clean it down to bare metal.  You don't want uneven or heavy deposits, however, as those can cause hot spots which can lead to preignition/detonation.  Heavy deposits would lead me to look for causual factors such as oil burning (valve stem seals remain the number one suspect for that), excessively rich fuel mixture, or lots of low speed operation while using fuel with insufficient levels of cleaners.  Try a better brand of fuel.  And don't let anyone convince you to just button it back up and then inject water into the hot intake with the engine running at 2000+ rpm to "blast" the carbon out.  While that was a common method in the old days, using a mist sprayed into the carb throat, it has the potential to cause damage if done incorrectly.  Much smarter to clean the parts while the engine is apart.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 05:22:01 PM »

Pop those pistons off the rods,remove the rings,put them down on a clean surface in order,tape off the ring area of the pistons,if you don't have a glass bead cabinet,haul them to your friendly rebuilder{auto or bike) that does,and have the tops blasted clean.
Remove tape,clean THOROUGHLY,put the rings on,put back on the rods,and you're done.... ;)
John

Wildrat

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 07:33:49 PM »

Don't worry about it Benedict Arnold.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »

Removing the carbon is pretty simple if the parts are off the bike; just soak in solvent until soft and then scrape with a non-scratching scraper (plastic, wood, etc.).  Cleaning the piston crowns is a little more complicated if still in the cylinders, but the same idea applies.  Since you can't just soak the parts in a pan of solvent, use solvent on rags to soften the stuff and then carefully scrape with a non-scratching scraper.  Do this with the piston at TDC, and when finished rotate the engine so the piston is down a bit in the cylinder and clean out any gunk that dribbled down on the cylinder walls.

I wouldn't worry about a light even coating, as that is normal and it will quickly return even if you clean it down to bare metal.  You don't want uneven or heavy deposits, however, as those can cause hot spots which can lead to preignition/detonation.  Heavy deposits would lead me to look for causual factors such as oil burning (valve stem seals remain the number one suspect for that), excessively rich fuel mixture, or lots of low speed operation while using fuel with insufficient levels of cleaners.  Try a better brand of fuel.  And don't let anyone convince you to just button it back up and then inject water into the hot intake with the engine running at 2000+ rpm to "blast" the carbon out.  While that was a common method in the old days, using a mist sprayed into the carb throat, it has the potential to cause damage if done incorrectly.  Much smarter to clean the parts while the engine is apart.

Jerry

thanks for this...sorry for the late reply, have  been on the road house hunting with really limited connectivity

the bike has 15k and I am pretty sure dad only used Shell for most fill ups...  I have been using either BP or Exxon for every fill up - used a Circle K one time, but that was an emergency.  So not poor gas - I think the culprit is the map in the SERT.  Dad had a canned map in it, I changed it to a map I got off here with just about the same config as my setup and it runs fine according to the plugs (they are spot on - greyish white) but I SMELL it running rich when I am backing up from time to time...runs cool and no issues, but it still doesn't feel "right".

After I get all this done, and the geared cams in later this year, I need to get a decent dyno tune for it, but time, funds and logistics of it are out for the foreseeable future - hopefully I can afford it later this year.

Got all my parts in while I was out last week, so tonight I am going to work on getting the majority of crap off the piston head.  I have it sitting at TDC for the front piston so working on it is easy.  Tried Sea Foam on the head, and it did a reasonable job of softening the carbon. 

Harder with the cylinder.

Sean

Sean M Cary

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 12:40:29 PM »

Don't worry about it Benedict Arnold.

sure...whatever "vest man"...

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 10:53:35 AM »

While heads were off I would have valves seated and checked.My motorman has found vavles not sealing or seated very well,that and you won't have to do top end latter.Ride safe JDO

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 22 queries.