Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fuel System Maintenance  (Read 1171 times)

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
Fuel System Maintenance
« on: February 09, 2019, 08:59:03 AM »

Posting on general because I imagine miles and use to be factor of when to do any fuel system maintenance. Not type of motor.
For those who have changed filters in the tank, can you say what mileage and what you found?

Dirty, clogged, running better after, lines brittle or just a change to see what's inside and feel better down the road?

Only 28k on a 2014 but went 117 and got a few trips planned. Rather dig in while it's cold outside of recommendation say so.

Thanks in advance.

Will
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 03:17:07 PM by bakon »
Will

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: Fuel System Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 09:55:10 AM »

good question.  I know in my 2010 owners manual, a fuel filter change was recommended at 25k miles.  in my wife's 2012, the mileage went from 25k to 100k.  the fuel filter is the same filter, no part number change.  so what did change?
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 10:55:49 AM »

on my 13 RG I changed fuel filter at 30k, just for the sake of doing maintenance, easy to do and nothing out of ordinary for 30k miles to report     :2vrolijk_21: im at 30k on the rental and will probly wait till I hit 50k to do it. side note is I find the TB gets over looked for cleaning and the mass air sensor gets caked up with oil , I use mopar air intake cleaner on mine ( I get it for free from my son)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 11:09:17 AM by fastfreddy »
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 06:19:43 PM »

I've changed my fuel filter and regulator twice on my 2010 bagger. I've got 90k on the motorcycle now. My recollection is that I could not tell the difference between the fuel filter that I took out vs the new one that I put in as far as cleanliness.

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 08:02:51 PM »

I changed the fuel filter on the 03 RKC that I had, mainly as a last resort to stop popping between shifts and backfiring on deceleration.
The bike had over 20,000 miles on it, the dealer and indi both said they never change fuel filters.
I replaced the filter and no longer had the backfiring on heavy deceleration and no popping between shifts.
Somewhere I must have gotten dirty fuel, and after cutting the dried filter to look into the pleats showed a fair amount of crud.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 25 queries.