Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rear Cylinder Problems  (Read 5296 times)

McBolt

• Grandson, first time on a bike. Yea he is hooked
Rear Cylinder Problems
« on: October 26, 2011, 07:18:17 PM »

I noticed another topic on this, but did not see any solutions.  2006 Ultra.  Data code states no ignition rear cylinder.  Dealer says wrong spark plug (not Harley).  I had Autolites.  Also said gap will make a difference.  All of this will effect the coil and response from the ECM.
Replaced plugs and bike ran fine for 500 miles.  Problem always seems to occur after long ride.  Stopped for gas, rear cylinder did not fire.  Stopped the engine and restarted, rear cylinder fired up.  Also, fuses for the gauges keeps blowing.  Wondering if any of this could be caused by the ECM going brain dead.

Coming back from across country, bike would not start after 2000 mile ride; cranked but would not start. Had spark.  Unhooked gas line at the tank and no typical light pressure spray of gas came out.  Hose was dry.  Fuel pump, fuel filter and pressure gauge all fine. 
Re-hooked up gas line and the bike fired up.

I had the internal fuel lines (inside the tank) replaced a while back.  It appears that some at the Harley plant, when installing the fuel pump will route the gas line so it touches the inside wall of the gas tank.  After a while the gas line will develop pin holes, that can cause start problems.

I'm trying to find out any tell tell signs if the ECM is going mad
Motorcyclist Rights Activist
Navy Photographer Vietnam ERA
American Legion Rider

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
Re: Rear Cylinder Problems
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 08:55:02 PM »

Mcbolt, I am sure some of the guys on the site know a lot more about this than I do, but I have attached removal and installation of the coil from my 09touring service manual. I can't tell from the picture if the front and rear cylinders have separate coils, but it kind of looks like it is one unit. I would definitely check the ground wires on the coil and all your fuses. Maybe your coil has an intermittent problem in the part that fires the rear cylinder. If there are two coils you could switch them around, but again from the picture it looks like just one unit.Good Luck.CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

McBolt

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 11:13:10 PM »

Thanks I will give it a try.  So far all of the problems have stumped the Harley boys.  But in my experience the strange annoying problems are generally something simply like a bad ground wire.  The pin holes in the fuel line was told to me by my independent shop guy.  For several years the bike would for some reason just not want to fire up.  Then about 15 to 20 minutes of farting around with it..baboom! She started.  My independent guy told me this was a common problem.  Since the fuel pump swings inside the tank; it could move just in the position to open up the pin holes a bit more and also reverse, move a bit so the pin holes would close up a bit.  He said my fuel line leak like a shower head.  All due to how the bike was assembled.

I will check the coils and if I can switch just to see if the front cylinder goes dead.

I noticed your home town.  I use to live in Thousand Oaks...when there was Jungle Land and T.O. Blvd had no stop lights....
American Legion Rider

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 09:24:20 AM »

Mcbolt, I have been in Simi since 1969 30k people, now we have about 120K people. Jungleland was replaced by the T.O.Civics Arts Plaza and some misc shopping. My brother still has the home movies taken at Jungleland around  1964. We do have a lot of good riding around here if you do it mid day during the week. I don't ride too much on weekends especially in canyons. Too much traffic.CAHDBIKER

Thanks I will give it a try.  So far all of the problems have stumped the Harley boys.  But in my experience the strange annoying problems are generally something simply like a bad ground wire.  The pin holes in the fuel line was told to me by my independent shop guy.  For several years the bike would for some reason just not want to fire up.  Then about 15 to 20 minutes of farting around with it..baboom! She started.  My independent guy told me this was a common problem.  Since the fuel pump swings inside the tank; it could move just in the position to open up the pin holes a bit more and also reverse, move a bit so the pin holes would close up a bit.  He said my fuel line leak like a shower head.  All due to how the bike was assembled.

I will check the coils and if I can switch just to see if the front cylinder goes dead.

I noticed your home town.  I use to live in Thousand Oaks...when there was Jungle Land and T.O. Blvd had no stop lights....

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

HD Jim

• Full CVO Member
  • 110ci of fun

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 09:26:06 AM »

My wife's '02 Road Glide had pin holes in the fuel line in the tank.  Her bike would act up with about 1/2 tank of gas.  If she filled the tank the bike would run fine until 1/2 tank.

McBolt

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 04:20:54 PM »

Just an update on the rear cylinder problem.  Plugs, plug wires and coils are all okay.  Problem is only on start after riding.  Last time, when starting the bike and the rear cylinder did not fire, I rolled on the throttle and slowly the rear cylinder started to fire...sort of what you would do if a plug was fouled.  So rechecking everything again I decided to purchase a can of injecter cleaner.  So far, the bike is running fine.

In regards to the fuse blowing on the instruments.  I haven't isolated this intermittent problem, but found some discussions where others have the same problem, due to a bad ignitions switch.

I will post again if problem cured or not
American Legion Rider

McBolt

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 09:58:02 PM »

Just a note in case someone is looking for help on the same issue.  With every thing check out it just seemed (based on 1960's mechanical knowledge) that the rear cylinder was just not getting gas.  With the vast number of jets in the Screaming Eagle fuel injectors, I tried a cure that usually does not work.  I ran systems cleaner through a couple of tanks.  So far no problem and the bike "feels" better.  I also took off the performance aircleaner and went back to the stock SE.  I also sold my 2005 Screaming Eagle Fatboy.  I know you are wondering what the hell does that have to do with the Ultra's rear cylinder problems.  I bought the red SE 2005 because my wife decided she didn't want to ride anymore.  I really loved that bike, what a beauty.  I bought the 06 SE Ultra after my wife complained I was gone all of the time and she wanted to ride.  When I rode the Fatboy, it was  real eye catcher.  I think maybe my Ultra was jealous, even though I ride the Ultra a lot more.  I only had 20,000 plus miles on the Fatboy.  Took it to a friends Harley repair shop and he put it on the floor for me.  A guy walked in as I was getting to walk out and he fell in love and bought the durn thing.  Now my Ultra runs great!  CB still not working though.

But who knows, fuel systems cleaner, stock air clearner or Karma.  It runs...at least for today
American Legion Rider

wideglidejoe

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 10:23:35 PM »

My '05 WideGlide had pin hole leaks in the fuel lines at 6k miles.  It only showed up a higher RPM's, when the engine needed more fuel.  It would miss and cut out.  Drove the dealership boys crazy, they couldn't find it.  Only after the hole(s) got bigger, and it starting acting up at lower RPM's, did they find it.  Once the holes got big enough to bleed down lots of fuel.  When you turn on the ignition, you hear the fuel pump pressure up the system, then the fuel pump turns off until the engine starts, and starts using fuel.  When the holes got bigger, you'd hear the fuel pump run for a second or two, then shut off.  Without starting the bike, after 15-20 seconds, the fuel line would leak, the pressure would drop, and the fuel pump would kick on again.  The said "ahaa, bad fuel pump".  The pulled the pump out of the tank, and found a bad fuel line, not a bad fuel pump.  Fuel line was routed to where it rubbed. 
2011 FLHTCUSE6 Blue
2005 Wide Glide
1962 Mustang Bronco Scooter
1972 Indian (Italjet 50cc) minibike
1965 AC Cobra replica
1955 Chevy Bel Air

McBolt

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 11:31:19 AM »

Yep I know about the fuel line rubbing against in the inner wall of the gas tank.  The Ultra had some wierd starting problems when I went to Sturgis (2006) the year I bought the bike.  The start problems were hit and miss, but really didn't get severe until this year...pin holes in the fuel line.  This Harley has always had issues from day one.  In one of my older reports on motorcycle manufacturing; there is a reported 15% swing in the consistency of manufacturing at Harley; where most Japanese bikes have a 1% swing.  I believe my Fatboy was at the top and my Ultra at the bottom.  Never had a Harley run as good or as strong with little to no problems as that Fatboy; the Ultra is/was almost as bad as an AMC Shovel.

But the problems keep me entertained.  I always seem to meet good people when the bike is giving me an attitude.

Greatly appreciate the post...many do not know about the failure (that some do) in manufacturing the Harley's.  Deliberately routing the internal tank fuel line so it rubs against the inside tank wall.
American Legion Rider

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 25 queries.