Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Why Your Harley Wobbles... (Sharing what I've learned)  (Read 11840 times)

Grizz

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • LA

Re: Why Your Harley Wobbles... (Sharing what I've learned)
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2016, 02:12:08 PM »

Thanks TRS,
You've given me a place to start. I'll change one thing at a time and see what happens. It's so bad I'm thinking of selling a kidney or lung and taking it to BBC or Krous lol.
As I accelerate on this bike I'm feeling a side to side imbalance,  it seems to come from the front. A oscillation that causes the front end to wobble violently as it gets faster. It is much worse under acceleration. The first time I felt it I thought it was the road I was on. I later felt it on other roads. The wheel was supposedly checked for balance at the dealer, the tire is good, the fall away was suppose to be ok also.
I don't trust the dealers but lack the equipment to do everything myself (working on that now). The indie shops here all shut down so their guys have scattered to dealerships or shops in other areas.

ok I added the KW windshield from my older SG, checked the air pressure again (it was low). I also maxed the preload on the rear shock to ride a little higher. Went on a 300 mile test run. Never got over 85 but it seemed to be very stable now. I suspect the tire pressure was the issue. I'll stay on the pressure more now. Trip to Arkansas was a blast. No wobbles and the bike feels really good now. Thanks again for your help.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 03:34:05 PM by Grizz »

bandit

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3, TP, Saddleman Explorer
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2016, 07:12:07 AM »

Very interesting, great work :2vrolijk_21:
Put monotubes in the front and oehlins
at the back of my 2009 RoadGlide. But
I think still some space to improve. 
:pepper: Will keep on tracking this thread. :pepper:
It is not that we have less time, it is much time that we use wrong.

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO SG (Hard Candy Mercury)
    • CVO2: 2002 Road Glide (Silver)
    • CVO3: 2005 Chrysler 300C (Custom)
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2016, 03:31:49 PM »

Hello All,

Just a quick update... The samples of the stabilizers are within days of being fit and quality tested. It's amazing on how much effort it takes to get this stuff done.  Anyway, I'm very pleased with the photos I've seen of the fabricated parts... It's a good project; anything that improves the safety aspect of our rides is worth working on.  I DO hope to have something to show you soon.  I just wanted to give an update on progress...

Best Regards,

Tim

-

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2016, 03:49:22 PM »

Hello All,

Just a quick update... The samples of the stabilizers are within days of being fit and quality tested. It's amazing on how much effort it takes to get this stuff done.  Anyway, I'm very pleased with the photos I've seen of the fabricated parts... It's a good project; anything that improves the safety aspect of our rides is worth working on.  I DO hope to have something to show you soon.  I just wanted to give an update on progress...

Best Regards,

Tim
-
Thanks for the update, I am eager to see the finished product; I had a stabilizing product on my 2001 Road Glide and the ride was improved greatly.

MadCVORG

• '11 FLTRUSE
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2016, 09:36:37 PM »

Bandit,
  I noticed you spell 'Oehlins' the European way........NICE!

vr/ Bob Ohlin

2bagger

• NC

• CVO1: 2016 Streetglide white amethyst/ black licorice
    • CVO2: 2016 Polaris Slingshot SL
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2016, 01:14:55 PM »

TRS, thank you for the excellent write up.  I just ordered a set of Works 13" shocks to raise the rear and I'm looking forward to your solution to keep the bike aligned!

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2016, 11:17:26 AM »

TRS, thank you for the excellent write up.  I just ordered a set of Works 13" shocks to raise the rear and I'm looking forward to your solution to keep the bike aligned!

Thanks 2Bagger.  I think you will sense a big improvement by raising up the rear.  I did that and lowered the front down ~ 1/2 <> 3/4 inch by sliding the forks up the front tree clamps.  The bike is level now and rides much nicer.  The steering is much lighter too.  I rode a Road Glide for years so it took some getting used to the weight on the steering of the street glide (especially with the Boom Audio + amp + speakers)

BTW:  I leveled the Street glide to the point I even had to shim the headlight to get it to point forward.  And for those that have running lights, I did the "turn the running lights upside down" trick.  WOW!  Huge improvement in peripheral light especially while leaning in a turn.  I highly recommend this modification.

--
EDIT:  2Bagger, just noticed in your signature that you have the white amethyst 2016...  THAT is a beautiful machine.  Congratulations..  Put a photo if that bad boy in your avatar.   Cheers.

--

« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 11:34:22 AM by TRS300 »

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2016, 11:29:46 AM »

Progress Update:

The front and rear stabilizer samples have been received and tested.  I think they look great and more importantly they work well too...  This month I'll get the first batch if units produced and I've submitted to get an LLC set-up to be able to offer the units for sale.  I'm not going to post photos till I have everything ready to go.

I expect to be ready to post photos and take orders from those interested ~ Jan-7th.  That way folks have time to install be ready for a safer 2017 riding season.

BTW:  I head back overseas to work tomorrow and will be there till Jan-5th.  Early Merry Christmas and best wishes for the coming new year to all of you.

Best Regards,

Tim

--

2bagger

• NC

• CVO1: 2016 Streetglide white amethyst/ black licorice
    • CVO2: 2016 Polaris Slingshot SL
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2016, 11:50:10 AM »

Tim, thank you for the additional info!  Count me in on your new product!  Be safe in your travels and Merry Christmas!  Mark

Roadblock

• ZFFZ Zealots MC
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited Red/Black
    • CVO2: 2013 firefighter Roadking
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2016, 10:53:44 PM »

looking forward to this. went from valkyries to harleys a few years ago and would love a more stable platform
2016 CVO Limited Red/Black
11.5" Clockwerks tinted windshield
Yaffe 10" apes

Lprez

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2016, 08:49:35 AM »

Following thread.  Very interested in buying the stabilizers.  Would like to understand if installation of the stabilizers has a positive effect on tire cupping.

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2016, 09:06:01 AM »

Following thread.  Very interested in buying the stabilizers.  Would like to understand if installation of the stabilizers has a positive effect on tire cupping.
I had the Biker Brace on my 2001 Road Glide and I felt it improved the handling of the motorcycle quite a bit (night and day); however, I didn't have any issues with tire cupping prior to the install of the stabilizer.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2016, 09:09:15 AM »

Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2016, 10:03:41 AM »

For what it's worth, I've had my '13 RG at sustained triple digits (for about 50 miles) and it was so smooth that it actually felt odd. This was a north-sourth road and zero wind. Now, same bike with no changes on an east-west road with slight a wind an even approaching those speeds I got a slight wobble in the front end. (Adding AK20 cartridges this winter.)

I also rode my buddies SG and that thing is a wobble machine, especially during high speed cornering, so I wonder how much the different fairing mounts are playing into the wobble factor.

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2016, 05:21:18 AM »

For what it's worth, I've had my '13 RG at sustained triple digits (for about 50 miles) and it was so smooth that it actually felt odd. This was a north-sourth road and zero wind. Now, same bike with no changes on an east-west road with slight a wind an even approaching those speeds I got a slight wobble in the front end. (Adding AK20 cartridges this winter.)

I also rode my buddies SG and that thing is a wobble machine, especially during high speed cornering, so I wonder how much the different fairing mounts are playing into the wobble factor.

I have a 2002 Road Glide and I can tell you the frame mounted faring has big advantages over the bat wing.  The weight of the faring + all the forces of the wind are delivered to the frame instead of the stearing tree.  My 2002 still rides much better than my 2015 S.G. The 2002 is rock solid.  But that said, it was not always that way.  I think the addition of a rear stabilizer on the older bikes is a Huge improvent whereas the addition of both stabalizers to the newer bikes is still a positive improvement, but maybe to a lesser degree.  OR it's less noticable because the newer bikes feel a bit better to begin with. Either way, the rubber mounted design allows flexing between the PTU and the frame, and flexing allows misallignment which is not a good thing.  I know the new bikes flex because I could see the stresses on the stabalizer parts during development. It changed the design a few times to get the materials straight.  Besides what I could see, I can also feel an improvement.  But like I said on previous posts, my 2015 SG needed a number of changes to get the overall improvement I feel now.  The stabalizers absolutioly play a key role.  But it's not the silver bullet that fixed it all.  In fact, the 2015 still needs some more work. I need better quality shocks both front and rear.

--
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 05:28:45 AM by TRS300 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 21 queries.