Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New 2016 SG-CVO (one year old bike...)  (Read 2191 times)

yasire

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

New 2016 SG-CVO (one year old bike...)
« on: January 14, 2017, 07:31:11 PM »

I just got a new 2016 Street Glide CVO. Won it actually in a raffle with a $100 ticket (500 tickets sold)!  While that is totally awesome, there are some downsides, like the 25% taxes Uncle Sam wants up front, as it's considered income...  I haven't picked the bike up yet as I'm dealing with paperwork.

But anyways, I want to put a sissy bar on it as I ride with my girlfriends daughter on the back of my current bike.  Where's the best place to shop for one?  And I'd like some type of backpack thing I've seen you can slip over the sissy bar for when I travel out of state. 

Also, the non-profit that bought the bike never registered it or rode it so the bike is 'new'.  Sadly, according to the dealership, the warranty kicked off from Harley once they bought it.  So I'll get it with one year less on the two year warranty.  I saw an ad for an extended warranty from the dealer - is that a good idea? Should I get something? 

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: New 2016 SG-CVO (one year old bike...)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 07:55:19 PM »

Congratulations.....that's $100 well spent!

For the Street Glide you may want a quick release tour pack.  That way, when you're riding solo you still have the Street Glide look but when you're riding two up or traveling you have something for her to lean against safely and additional locking storage.  You can look on craigslist or ebay but to get it color matched you're going to have to go through the dealership.  Some dealerships sell at 20% discount.  There's a thread on this forum that lists those dealerships.

So you have to pay income tax as well as sales tax and registration?

You can buy an additional 5 year extended service agreement (warranty).  You don't have to buy it right now and you don't have to buy it from that dealership.  Some dealerships like to put a big mark up on the suggested price.  There's multiple threads on this forum about the extended service agreement (often referred to as extended warranty)., which in my opinion is money well spent.   Again, there are threads on this forum addressing this question.  I can tell you that on my last five baggers the extended warranty has always more than paid for itself....a couple of times, several times over.  If you ride it (use it) then it will pay for itself.....if your motorcycle is garage jewelry (only ride a couple thousand miles a year) then it's probably not worth it.  JMHO

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 05:50:49 PM »

Be sure that you pay taxes on a used 2016.....not the MSRP+delivery & setup.

Especially if you not getting the benefits of a new bike (warranty).....which seems a little odd to me. Why would a charity buy a motorcycle and hold it for a year then raffle it???

Anyway....I think this is awesome....and good luck with you new ride!

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 09:34:41 PM »

Check with the dealer, or any dealer for that matter. They will be able to give you the "in service" date which is the original day the warranty should start. Just because the model year is a year in the books doesn't mean the warranty started a year ago. Congrats on the win.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 12:52:56 AM »

The dealer is probably correct about the in-service date therefore the timing of the warranty. Still, congratulations!

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 06:06:13 AM »

Wow !! Great Bike !! Great WIN !!! Good luck with the New Ride !!! / Only pay the tax's on what the Bike is worth when you pick it up !!!
DND

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 10:09:29 AM »

Father in law was a GM dealer, he supplied new cars to a local charity for a lot of years that they sold tickets on. He kept the title and "loaned" them the car while the tickets were being sold. The charity paid the amount that he was paying for "floorplan" every month. This had two benifits, one was the car was new when won and had a full warranty and the second was if the winner wanted a different car he could apply the cost amount of the car he won toward whatever he wanted. Down side was the winner had to pay taxes on a new car in full.
If this charity in this link actually bought the bike, which seems strange, then the bike is a used second owner unit and taxes would definitely be adjusted as would warranty and any other new vehicle purchase perks. But the upside is you have a bike for cost of a raffle ticket and taxes! I would gladly buy his ticket.
My wife won a new car in 1979, paying the taxes was not a problem, back then it was tax and title for less than $550 for a new car, we were happy.

Bishop

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 12:44:53 PM »

I have a 2016 CVO with 1 year remaining on my warranty. Where else other than the dealer can I purchase an extended warranty?

Designflaw

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 12:53:37 PM »

I have a 2016 CVO with 1 year remaining on my warranty. Where else other than the dealer can I purchase an extended warranty?

Boardtracker Harley Davidson sells them. Harley cracked down on dealerships undercutting the costs so they don't allow "Their Warranty" to be sold outside of the dealership. The one BT sells is different but I know some people that have it and used it with no issues at all. I think the Company they sell is the same company that rights Polaris, Yamaha and a few others.

2017 FLHXSE CVO Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black
Performance: HP 99 TQ 121
Stage II = HD Torque Cam SE8-447
Rinehart Slimline, 4" Cans
HD Tuner w/ Wideband module
Screaming Eagle Front Fork internals, Tuned Rear

Appearance:
Blacking out all chrome and bolts. (Work in progress)
Custom color matched carbon fiber parts
HD Passing Lamps and LED lamps

Racerdj

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2015 FLHXSE

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 11:05:46 AM »

Congratulations!
Harley addict here looking for 'The Cure'

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 08:22:36 PM »

Nice win :2vrolijk_21:
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 25 queries.