Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: French Weapon Technology vs US Technology  (Read 6839 times)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
French Weapon Technology vs US Technology
« on: February 24, 2007, 06:03:17 PM »

French shoulder fired rocket firing.

Watch the above French version first.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 06:05:24 PM by Rjob749 »

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
Re: French Weapon Technology vs US Technology
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 07:34:44 PM »

ROG, ID SAY WE WOULD WIN THAT WAR :(
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 07:57:46 PM »

Hmmmmmmm I don't think the British would agree with this. Remember the Faulkland Islands ?  Dollar for dollar the most effective missle in the world is the French made Exocet which can fly below radar, do incredible damage and costs about $30k on the world weapons market.

B B

ronshood2000

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 11:31:32 AM »

Not sure where your  $$$$ figure comes from.  Regardless, you are right, it's cheap and effective, especially regarding certain versions of the Exocet. Almost impossible to defeat other than shooting down the plane that carries it before launch. The only problem I have is that the French Gov't will sell to anyone and do not discriminate, which they should. The are people out there who should not be allowed to purchase this item just because they have the Euro's to do it.
Ron

Farmer

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 11:43:26 AM »

I wouldn't say the French will sell advanced weapons technology to just anyone . . . . it's just anyone who has OIL.

Farmer

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 12:03:15 PM »

Hmmmmmmm I don't think the British would agree with this. Remember the Faulkland Islands ?  Dollar for dollar the most effective missle in the world is the French made Exocet which can fly below radar, do incredible damage and costs about $30k on the world weapons market.

B B

That was a weird day for battle history Brian.  A US manufactured Lockheed Neptune made the first sighting of the British ships.  French Etandards were dispatched carrying French missiles.  The French planes docked with an American manufactured KC-130 tanker before completing the attack.  There was even a Lear jet flown as potential decoy.  The only thing Argentinian in the entire attack was the pilots.

The Brits never saw it coming either.  At least not until the last few seconds.  The old almost useless radar on the Sheffield probably never saw the plane and never tracked the missile.  Though sailors on board at the time disagreed the later Defence Ministry report said the missile warhead didn't even detonate.  But the impact broke the water main and crippled her generators.  So no real damage control was mounted to the fire started by the rocket motor that consumed the ship.  Then, to top it all off, while waiting for rescue the sailers on board Sheffield sang Monty Python's "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life."  That was a weird nasty little war.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 12:10:30 PM »

That was a weird day for battle history Brian.  A US manufactured Lockheed Neptune made the first sighting of the British ships.  French Etandards were dispatched carrying French missiles.  The French planes docked with an American manufactured KC-130 tanker before completing the attack.  There was even a Lear jet flown as potential decoy.  The only thing Argentinian in the entire attack was the pilots.

The Brits never saw it coming either.  At least not until the last few seconds.  The old almost useless radar on the Sheffield probably never saw the plane and never tracked the missile.  Though sailors on board at the time disagreed the later Defence Ministry report said the missile warhead didn't even detonate.  But the impact broke the water main and crippled her generators.  So no real damage control was mounted to the fire started by the rocket motor that consumed the ship.  Then, to top it all off, while waiting for rescue the sailers on board Sheffield sang Monty Python's "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life."  That was a weird nasty little war.

What a "Charlie Fox" that was, but it lasted as long as I care to see most conflicts that come to live fire last.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 12:21:26 PM »

What a "Charlie Fox" that was, but it lasted as long as I care to see most conflicts that come to live fire last.

Too true.  The British started their counter with an air strike from a joint use base flying long range bombers that were slated to have already been decommissioned but were still flying.  They fought their air battle with airplanes really not appropriate to the job.  Carried troops on luxury liners that laid down plywood to protect the carpets because they didn't have enough troop lift capability.  Were getting regular resupply from us of air to air missiles and other supplies on an urgent basis because they didn't have war stocks in reserve.  And still the Argentines couldn't handle them in Argentina's own backyard.  And it was a nasty little war.  Maggie Thatcher got her victory though.  I don't even suggest that it wasn't necessary after the Argentine troops landed on the Falklands.  But from the diplomacy (and lack of) before the war to everything that happened during it was just a weird nasty screwed up little war.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 03:51:04 PM »

Not sure where your  $$$$ figure comes from.  Regardless, you are right, it's cheap and effective, especially regarding certain versions of the Exocet. Almost impossible to defeat other than shooting down the plane that carries it before launch. The only problem I have is that the French Gov't will sell to anyone and do not discriminate, which they should. The are people out there who should not be allowed to purchase this item just because they have the Euro's to do it.

I am the NAVSTA San Diego Homeport Engineering Rep for Bath Iron Works. Look us up on the I-NET and you'll see how I know what I know.

B B

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 04:09:09 PM »

Did you ever see the Ebay ad, Will sell cheap, French rifle, never fired, only dropped once! funny chit. As someone on this site says! :huepfenlol2:
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 04:24:47 PM »

I am the NAVSTA San Diego Homeport Engineering Rep for Bath Iron Works. Look us up on the I-NET and you'll see how I know what I know.

B B

I love that  :2vrolijk_21:

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 04:33:47 PM »

Thought thats what the MK15 Phalanx defense system was to shoot those down.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

ronshood2000

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 12:54:49 PM »

MK15 AKA CIWS (Christ It Won't Shoot)?

Ron

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 03:23:57 PM »

Thought thats what the MK15 Phalanx defense system was to shoot those down.

That's what the guys on the Stark probably expected too.

ronshood2000

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 01:43:42 PM »

I could really get into this. The Stark had other issues. One, keep in mind that the Exocet RCS (radar cross section) is very small. So that makes it very hard to see with radar, espcially with the SPS-49 radar. So the ability to see skin seperation from the F-1 was more than likely not seen by the operator. Then, also, especially in mid 80's, ships did not run the CIWS in full auto and probably still don't to this day. This is not to mention the SLQ-32 ESM operator would have a very short reaction time once Exocet radar lit off. So with all of our expensive systems to keep ships safe, a $30k missile can pretty much ruin your day.

Also, Iraq was our friend then, and who shoots at their friend?
Ron
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 22 queries.