Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: speakers  (Read 4343 times)

dakota

• Junior CVO Member
  • Finally!!
speakers
« on: January 14, 2005, 08:31:14 AM »

Has anyone changed out their junk stock speakers? What are people using for replacements? The magnets on the stock one's are ridiculous, no wonder they can't handle higher volumes.

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

Re: speakers
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 11:22:28 PM »

Myself and a lot people on this site and HTT, Electra Glide Garage have been buying Hog Tune S[eakers, the magnets are almost twice thwe size of the HD's great sound.

Look in the Electra Gide Discussion Site apprx. three to four places above the Road Glide discussion site and go back through replacement speakers. Hog Tunes has a link there and from what I understand, he gives a 10% discount.

geezerglide

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 09:58:02 PM »

yeah I changed them out.The stock stereo is 2 ohm system.You can not find 2 ohm speakers that are an upgrade from the old crap.I put in 4ohm infinity speakers.The up side is it is louder and clearer.The down side is as you are  increasing speed the radio gets to loud and you are constantly changing volume.You can get the power amp from harley that converts it to 4ohm but it hard mounts to the tour pac.So you wont be able to remove pac without quick disconnect for the amp(then radio wont work anyway).Or just channge out  the stereo unit with one that is set up for secondary controls(cars that have controls on the steering wheel work the same wayas the controls on your handlebar controls  so they are a special type of head unit)..
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 10:01:11 PM »

also the taller windshield helps considerbly.
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

dakota

• Junior CVO Member
  • Finally!!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 05:16:16 PM »

i am confused about the 2 ohm spkrs as the owne's manual says it is putting out 40 watts to 8 ohm spkrs. i am not very good with stereo's, so maybe i am not understanding the book.

another subject is my portable cd plug port does not work. the owner's manual says (not used), so maybe this intentionally not hooked up because of the 12 cd unit in the tour pack?

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 06:29:49 PM »

Im sorry, I meant to say 8 ohms.Most all systems today are 4 ohms and that is what the harley upgrade does.Converts it to 4 from 8.    I just put the speakers in and I think in the long run it will be changed out completely.And the plug on the head unit is not working because of the changer in the trunk.Our models are like that...goood luck.
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide

BIg_Un

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 01:14:51 AM »

Dakota:

I recently installed a pair of Phoenix Gold Octane R5.0 component speaker system in my '00 Screamin' Eagle Roadglide dash. The installation included a pair of 5.25" speakers and a pair of 2 1/8" tweeters.  The larger speakers are a direct replacement fit for the stock speakers.  The installer had to drill a hole on each side of the dashboard for the tweeters.  The tweeters were installed bertween the larger speakers and the fuel guage on the left, and the battery guage on the right.

After the installation, I drove about 30 miles back to my house.  WOW, what a difference.  I could hear every word of the music in my TourPack mounted CD player.  The sound was crisp and clear, and I still had some room left on the volume switch.

The speakers were about $120.00, plus about 2 hours for the installation.

If you need some additional detail about the speakers, you may want to check the Phoenix Gold website on Google.

Hope that help.

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 11:39:21 AM »

Dakota:

I recently installed a pair of Phoenix Gold Octane R5.0 component speaker system in my '00 Screamin' Eagle Roadglide dash. The installation included a pair of 5.25" speakers and a pair of 2 1/8" tweeters.
JR

BIg_Un

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2005, 02:29:27 AM »

I have tried to attach the photos of the tweeter that were installed in my dash onto the website. However, I was unsuccessful.  Therefore, I have sent them to the webmaster to see if he can help.

Big Un

pezsez

• Junior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2005, 10:32:22 PM »

Hey all

Ive had many happy Road Glide customers, as Hogtunes are a direct replacement for stock. I do offer forum members a 10% discount by using the hidden link www.hogtunes.com/membersdealpage.htm

I want to be fair to members by letting yyou know I have recently secured North American distribution through Drag Specialties for US and possibly Europe, as well as Powertwins for Canada (woohoo!) Bad thing is, once they are up and running, if people use the normal paypal button off the site, I can no longer refund the difference for the 10% discount forum members get.

I just want to make sure fellow forum members dont lose out!

Cheers-PEZ www.hogtunes.com
If the whole world was smart, us guys with half a brain would be in real trouble!

dakota

• Junior CVO Member
  • Finally!!
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2005, 11:55:39 PM »

Just put in Polk's db5250 kit tonight and what a difference. Maybe Harley should raise the price of their bikes even more to get a decent sound system. I know...... no one forced me to buy the bike.

tony1968

• Full CVO Member
  • SEI2
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2005, 01:20:55 AM »

http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=6

Best Speakers you will every buy. Had a pair on my EG, havent purchased a pair for the SERG2 yet but swear by them.

bubbarosa

• If it don't work the 1st time, get a bigger hammer
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2005, 12:28:52 PM »

I bought a set of speakers from Kuryakyn.  Sound good and are about 50% louder. They have large magnets on them also.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=All&ci=3096

Replacement was very easy and they fit perfect.  Fairing on the glide comes off with about 7 screws, I think, and the headlight plug.  Took about 45 minutes to change, stopping for a beer half way through.  They are JM brand and cost $100

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.