Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 1st Secondary Belt Tension Inspection  (Read 2499 times)

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
1st Secondary Belt Tension Inspection
« on: March 09, 2005, 05:08:01 PM »

I have the HD manual and the guage to check the tension. The manual states to find the tightest spot on the belt before taking the measurement. So I put the bike up on the center lift and slowly rotated the rear wheel. It seemed to me that there was no tighter spot felt when I did that?

Should I just take random tension measurements to find the tighest spot? Or possibly rotate the wheel in reverse?

Next question which I figure is self explanitory but want to be on the safe side. It says to check the belt at the midpoint between the 2 pullys. Would that be where the inspection hole is with the gradiants  on it in the belt cover??

Last but not least on the tension gauge it has the "O" ring on the plunger shaft coming out of it. The "O" ring should be pushed all the way down against the tools body to zero it correct?  Then when I push the tool against the belt the "O" ring will be pushed up the shaft. Then I take and measure the space between the base of the tool and the bottom of the "O" ring  to get the measured amount of deflection? Correct??

TIA,

John
JR

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: 1st Secondary Belt Tension Inspection
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 05:48:03 PM »

John;
You should be able to see a slight movement up/down in the belt as you rotate the tire. This will indicate the tight area. If not you can do some random checking with the gauge.

I have always used the inspection hole as the gauge.

I set the oring at the desired tension then push the guage until it contacts the ring.

Good luck!!

JjR

• Senior CVO Member
  • WTF
Re: 1st Secondary Belt Tension Inspection
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 06:04:54 PM »

John;
You should be able to see a slight movement up/down in the belt as you rotate the tire. This will indicate the tight area. If not you can do some random checking with the gauge.

I have always used the inspection hole as the gauge.

I set the oring at the desired tension then push the guage until it contacts the ring.

Good luck!!

Sounds good to me.

Thanks!
JR

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.