Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: wheel alignment  (Read 2228 times)

mainjet

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
wheel alignment
« on: March 16, 2005, 01:02:54 AM »

Replaced the drive belt, aligned wheel with measurements from swing arm pivot center to rear axle center.  The belt runs toward the tranny when rotated forward.  It runs to the tranny when rotated backward also.  I checked the alignment with a string between the rear wheel to front on both sides.  I am considering trying to shift the engines location in the frame with the strut located in the center of the frame near the rubber mount.  The motorcycle has 37k on the odometer.  You can see a wear pattern on the front pulley where the belt ran previously and it indicates the belt was running where it was supposed to be.  Any Ideas??????    Thanks, Mainjet
PS:  Model FLTRSEI [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

mainjet

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: wheel alignment
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 10:58:56 AM »

Thanks for your reply.  When I took it apart, it seemed the rear axle was way too tight.  I am new to rubber mount frames.  In the ten years I had my softail, I changed several tires, front and rear pulleys, etc and never had any issues like this.  It is cold here right now and I haven't messed with it any further.  I might try tightening the axle tighter but I fear crushing the inner spacer [ if its not already crushed] and loading the wheel bearings too much.  It has Screaming Eagle 5 spokes [not stock].  They were not on there long before I bought the bike.  The old belt had about a 3/8" tear on the left side.
I would not worry about it but the belt drags on the tire.  It is hard enough to push around anyhow. Kind regards, Mainjet [smiley=confused5.gif] [smiley=confused5.gif]

mainjet

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 10:12:50 PM »

Thanks again MFG, your helpful comment caused me to think about it and check the rear wheel spacers, apparalently the caveman that last worked on this bike wasn't careful.  The spacers were too short, had 3/16" slack, fixed with some washers.  Belt is running truer now, not perfect but acceptable I hope.  Will check further using the string to check front and rear alignment.  New to these bikes and learning.  Kind regards, Mainjet [smiley=biggthumpup.gif] [smiley=laugh.gif]

mainjet

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 10:21:13 PM »

Thanks for the replies, by not perfect, I mean the belt is staying approximately in the center of the front pulley.  I have not aligned the wheels with the string method.  Had to work at my job this w/e and worked on my old car; may have more info tomorrow as I'm getting a little caught up.  I don't know  the spacer length for  the SE wheels.  My resources are limited in this city of 45,000 as we have one Indy and Japanese brands.
                                                                Kind regards,  Mainjet

mainjet

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 09:26:57 PM »

MFG:  The sprocket side spacer is 11/2 ", the brake side spacer is 1/2 " plus the caliper bracket amd the washers I added for a total of 1 and 13/16" .  Those are the measurements from the bearings to the swing arm, on each side.  Weather is cold and rainy again.  Tried to find another HD to measure , no luck. [smiley=furious.gif] [smiley=furious.gif]

mainjet

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 02:58:50 PM »

Dear MFG;
      Correct, a pic is worth a thou.
                                                                   kind regards, mainjet [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 21 queries.