Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Author Topic: Windshield for Road-Glide  (Read 24262 times)

DEDE

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 se r-g
Windshield for Road-Glide
« on: October 10, 2008, 09:41:07 AM »

I'm looking to buy a windshield I need a picture and your comment, it's very hard with a half helmet to drive long distance, I try a modular helmet it's very good but you can't ear the music.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Windshield for Road-Glide
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 09:45:13 AM »

bsquared62

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 08:38:19 PM »

I've got the 12" Klock Werks, which is mentioned over and over in those threads. It works pretty well (I estimated about 60% improvement), and still maintains the good looks. Others recommend the ClearView.

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 09:26:27 PM »

I'm looking to buy a windshield I need a picture and your comment, it's very hard with a half helmet to drive long distance, I try a modular helmet it's very good but you can't ear the music.

Dede,

Bonjour, Go to the Vendor Support Section and look at Clearview Wind Shields. I had a 12" Flip on my 03 Road Glide worked great, have a Smoke Tint 9" Flip on my 04 SEEG and it works great also. The flip directs the wind over you helmet and yet you can still look over the windshield.

When I was in Montreal last Thursday dropped into Visions and visited with Francois, he told me the Silver 09 SERG sold, c'est la vie.

geezerglide

chewmaize

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 09:37:58 PM »

I'm running the 8" FBI Smoked windshield.  Looks good, gives a little more turbulence then I would like from 60mph up, but it's not bad.
2001 SERG
98" Revolution Performance Upgrade
37G, Gear Driven Cams
Power Commander

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 02:08:52 AM »

I had the 12" Klock Werks on order but read too many negative things about it ,flimsy, too much wind around ears, etc. Also it didn't come with a seal and the stock SERG seal won't work. I cancelled the order and now I'm going with the 12" Cee Bailey. It seems to have better reviews, will work with the stock SERG windshield seal, and looks pretty good. The price is $104 US plus $70 US for shipping to Alberta.

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 01:27:06 AM »

Anyone know if the MoCo offers anything that will look good and do a good job of cutting the wind? I do really like the dark grey 12" Cee Bailey but the dealer only orders from Drag Spec. The only way for me to get the Cee Bailey is to order it direct for the company and I'm not too keen on paying another $70 (over $100 Canadian) just for shipping.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 08:59:27 AM »

Anyone know if the MoCo offers anything that will look good and do a good job of cutting the wind? I do really like the dark grey 12" Cee Bailey but the dealer only orders from Drag Spec. The only way for me to get the Cee Bailey is to order it direct for the company and I'm not too keen on paying another $70 (over $100 Canadian) just for shipping.
[/quote

CAll Jenni...She gets Drag Stuff for  20% off.....Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SE Road Glide
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 09:37:48 AM »

I have tried different MoCo shields, KW shields and Clearview.  In the looks department KW is hands down the best looking shield. 

I'm attaching a pic of my bike with the 8" KW mounted.  I've also tried the 14".  The KW works great in normal city driving.  You feel the wind, but it's more than livable.  The 14" is a bit better, but it is made form the same paper thin plastic as the 8".  The 14" relentlessly vibrates at highway speeds.  Short highway runs are fine with either the 8 or 14" KW.  However, if you are touring the KW shields are worthless!  The wind alternates left and right endlessly beating your ears.  You have to wear a helmet or hearing protection if you want to run long distances with the KW shields. 

Clearview is the best I've found from a form/function/quality perspective.  The recurve on the CV works great.  It deflects the wind over your head as well as far enough to the left/right to keep it from hitting your ears.  The CV plastic is also very thick, which is much safer if a rock or something is kicked up while riding.  Another thing I like about CV is they provide everything you need to install it on the bike.  It comes with the rubber trim, mounting hardware, etc.  KW doesn't ship with anything and they don't sell the stuff either. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 09:39:34 AM by Jim Kerr »

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 09:51:19 AM »

You've probably said it a dozen times here Jim but w/ CV did you get and how tall are you? I've decided that CV is the way to go and now just need to get the right height. Thanks.

Jim

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 10:12:56 AM »

You've probably said it a dozen times here Jim but w/ CV did you get and how tall are you? I've decided that CV is the way to go and now just need to get the right height. Thanks.

Jim

I'm 3' 4" tall with a limp... :)  Kidding.  I'm average height. 

I went with the large CV shield for winter.  I bought one that I look through so I get max wind protection.  The large window will greatly extend my Chicago riding season.  It isn't as sexy, but it works great!  In the summer, however, I'm going to run a CV -1.  I look over the -1 and get some wind that will keep me cool.  The -1 also works much better than the KW and factory shields. 

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 01:59:50 PM »

bribe36,

As Jim Kerr has suggested I would get a hold of John at Clearview and/or go on his website and size up a Clearview for your height etc. I had the 12" Smoked Recurve on the 03 Road Glide and it was as Jim says real good windshield. Also, you do not have to buy it from DS, he will ship direct from Colorado to you and pricing is very reasonable.

Also, have the 9" Smoked Recurve on my 04 SEEG and it was worked great.

geezerglide

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 02:41:42 PM »

I have tried different MoCo shields, KW shields and Clearview.  In the looks department KW is hands down the best looking shield. 

I'm attaching a pic of my bike with the 8" KW mounted.  I've also tried the 14".  The KW works great in normal city driving.  You feel the wind, but it's more than livable.  The 14" is a bit better, but it is made form the same paper thin plastic as the 8".  The 14" relentlessly vibrates at highway speeds.  Short highway runs are fine with either the 8 or 14" KW.  However, if you are touring the KW shields are worthless!  The wind alternates left and right endlessly beating your ears.  You have to wear a helmet or hearing protection if you want to run long distances with the KW shields. 

Clearview is the best I've found from a form/function/quality perspective.  The recurve on the CV works great.  It deflects the wind over your head as well as far enough to the left/right to keep it from hitting your ears.  The CV plastic is also very thick, which is much safer if a rock or something is kicked up while riding.  Another thing I like about CV is they provide everything you need to install it on the bike.  It comes with the rubber trim, mounting hardware, etc.  KW doesn't ship with anything and they don't sell the stuff either. 

Jim
       Thanks a ton for this post. I like the shape of the 8" KW so much, I was going to sell my 14" Clearview and buy a 14" KW. After reading your post, I'll sit pat with the 8" KW for local riding and the 14" Clearview for long distance.
       By the way, since joining the site, you've been a one man tech manual. I am in awe of the depth of information you've posted in such a short time. What's your background ?  Are you a former H-D Tech, engineer, what ? I think others would enjoy hearing a bit about you as you are an incredibly valuable asset to this website 

B B

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 07:20:52 PM »

Jim
       Thanks a ton for this post. I like the shape of the 8" KW so much, I was going to sell my 14" Clearview and buy a 14" KW. After reading your post, I'll sit pat with the 8" KW for local riding and the 14" Clearview for long distance.

I love the shape of the 8" KW as well.  It really is an excellent looking design.  I just hate it on the highway !!  I believe I have hearing damage from the few times I rode with it.  The SERG is a road bike.  We want it to look cool, but it also has to get us cross country safely.  I would be stone deaf if I rode any distance with KW shields.  They also don't provide any rain/bug protection.  In fact, I'll tell you an embarrassing story of a bee that that hit me in my face almost knocking me off of the bike and then fell into my lap.  Guss where it stung me... Yup, if it were a sneak bite my friends would have let me die.  Instead they just laughed until they peed their pants.  No more KW for me!!

By the way, since joining the site, you've been a one man tech manual. I am in awe of the depth of information you've posted in such a short time. What's your background ?  Are you a former H-D Tech, engineer, what ? I think others would enjoy hearing a bit about you as you are an incredibly valuable asset to this website 

I have been riding motorcycles since I was 5 years old.  I love to go fast and if it has an engine I'm on it running  balls to the walls.  My formal education is in computer engineering, electronic engineering, aeronautical engineering and other boring stuff.  In addition to being a pilot, I have been a licensed aircraft mechanic (A&P) for about 20 years.  Airplanes and motorcycles are very similar, but aircraft are federally regulated.  Every I has to be dotted when you do anything to an airplane.  The strict aviation regulations and my engineering background has trained me to dig into how things work fairly quickly.  Especially when it is things I love.  And I love Harley Davidson Motorcycles and hanging with the wonderful people that ride them. 
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 07:22:24 PM by Jim Kerr »

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 08:40:03 PM »

DEDE

luv your bike. :2vrolijk_21:

enjoy

TN
Wut the hell was that maneuver

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 09:17:41 PM »

bribe36,

As Jim Kerr has suggested I would get a hold of John at Clearview and/or go on his website and size up a Clearview for your height etc. I had the 12" Smoked Recurve on the 03 Road Glide and it was as Jim says real good windshield. Also, you do not have to buy it from DS, he will ship direct from Colorado to you and pricing is very reasonable.

Also, have the 9" Smoked Recurve on my 04 SEEG and it was worked great.

geezerglide

Thanks geerzerglide. I have checked the Clearview site but only see they offer clear - lt grey tint. Have you ever seen it with a dark tint like the that offered by Cee Bailey?

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 11:33:14 PM »

bribe36,

I think they also have smoked tint, as my 04 SEEG has it. I think they should also have for the SERG. Someone else may be able to confirm as I have not had a Road Glide for awhile.

geezerglide

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2008, 01:33:09 AM »

bribe36,

I think they also have smoked tint, as my 04 SEEG has it. I think they should also have for the SERG. Someone else may be able to confirm as I have not had a Road Glide for awhile.

geezerglide

I'll call direct and see what offer, thanks for the input

texaswiz

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 10:08:02 AM »

Are you talking about a taller Harley windshield for your CVO or are you wanting something more exotic from another manufacturer?

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 02:12:28 PM »

Are you talking about a taller Harley windshield for your CVO or are you wanting something more exotic from another manufacturer?

Just my opinion (JMO) but H-D puts about as much time into researching the effectiveness of their stock windshields as I do into Ballroom Dancing (nyet)

ANYTHING is better than stock

B B

straightshoooter

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2001 SERG BLUE/BLUE
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2008, 08:21:12 PM »

Beautiful bike brother!  :2vrolijk_21:
"HE WHO LOSES WEALTH LOSES MUCH; HE WHO LOSES A FRIEND LOSES MORE; BUT HE THAT LOSES COURAGE LOSES ALL."

wts

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG crush
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2008, 12:14:03 PM »

12 inch kw
someday- today-will be the good old days

wts

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2008, 12:16:30 PM »

larger pic

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2008, 02:44:15 PM »

looks nice.  How does it do on the freeway? 

wts

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2008, 03:56:07 PM »

it's noisy   ...   wind's not too bad though

heres's the clearview small GT

quieter, maybe a little less wind,         but the looks are not as good in my opinion

wts

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2008, 03:57:27 PM »

another pic

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2008, 04:00:14 PM »

I have a question that I don't know if anybody on the site can answer. If not, I will try to contact Klockwerks and see what they say.

My 8" KW is very thick material. It is solid black and not at all translucent. I'm wondering if the windsheilds that you can see through are made of a thinner lexan than the solid shields. I would think that at Bonneville speeds with nothing but miles and miles of flat open area, Klock's wife and daughters were not concerned with being able to see directly in front of them and used solid shields vice see through ones. My point being, that the thickness of the material would contribute to the level of vibration.

B B

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2008, 04:13:30 PM »

I would think that at Bonneville speeds with nothing but miles and miles of flat open area, Klock's wife and daughters were not concerned with being able to see directly in front of them and used solid shields vice see through ones.

They would likely be wearing helmets.  KW shields work much better with a helmet. 

wts

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2008, 04:52:42 PM »

sorry   
# 25 is actually a kw   ...   not a clearview

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2008, 04:59:03 PM »

sorry   
# 25 is actually a kw   ...   not a clearview

Is this a clearview shield?  Doesn't look like it has the recurve or the lower seal. 

wts

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2008, 05:06:00 PM »

it is a clearview GT small

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2008, 05:15:02 PM »

it is a clearview GT small

Thanks!

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2008, 06:37:54 PM »

They would likely be wearing helmets.  KW shields work much better with a helmet. 

You mean there still folks who don't ?

B B

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2008, 06:45:32 PM »

A couple or so.

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2008, 08:50:27 AM »

I can not help but notice that no one in this tread is useing the chrome windshield trim kit from HD or Kury. Is it that they do not fit well?  I know the HD kit never fit my CV shield very well.  Thanks Doc

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2008, 09:01:35 AM »

I can not help but notice that no one in this tread is useing the chrome windshield trim kit from HD or Kury. Is it that they do not fit well?  I know the HD kit never fit my CV shield very well.  Thanks Doc

CV has come up with better mounting hardware for the chrome shield trim.  They charge $5 extra for it.  I'm sure it will work better now; however, personally I just don't like the look of the chrome trim on a SERG.  It seems out of place to me, which is why I'm not using one. 

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2008, 09:11:52 AM »

Here is the HD chrome windshield trim on my 07, with the -1 clearview. Anyone have a pic of the chrome trim on a SERG?  Thanks Doc

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2008, 09:30:43 AM »

Here's one.

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2008, 10:40:29 AM »

Thanks !!  Anyone have it on a 09 RG?  Doc.

straightshoooter

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2001 SERG BLUE/BLUE
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2008, 10:51:35 AM »

Here's one.

Nice stable dude!! I guess the cars go outside!!   :2vrolijk_21:
"HE WHO LOSES WEALTH LOSES MUCH; HE WHO LOSES A FRIEND LOSES MORE; BUT HE THAT LOSES COURAGE LOSES ALL."

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2008, 04:56:05 PM »

Thanks !!  Anyone have it on a 09 RG?  Doc.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2008, 04:56:36 PM »

Another

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2008, 04:57:17 PM »

Last

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2008, 06:29:36 PM »

Great pics Jim.
I like looking in garages!
Thanks

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2008, 06:45:53 PM »

Thanks Chip. Wish my stuff looked as good as your's. All of your stuff comin and going looks great.

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2008, 08:10:12 AM »

That trim sure fits a lot better than mine did with the C V 11/12" shield, is that that $5.00 extra piece that was mentioned earlier on,  to make it fit the C V so well. Like the looks alot.  Thankls Doc

MikeD

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2008, 06:35:14 AM »

Great pics Jim.
I like looking in garages!
Thanks

Me too!  Trying to figure everything in yours!

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2008, 04:12:55 PM »

i'm the proud owner of a gt small, gt medium, gt large and a stock angle 2.25" shorter than stock w/recurve. clearview products.

the gt small is perfect for the serg with stock seat. the medium works with the 08 fltr and sunray seat.

the custom will get tried out shortly.

TN

MikeD

« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2008, 06:32:52 PM »

i'm the proud owner of a gt small, gt medium, gt large and a stock angle 2.25" shorter than stock w/recurve. clearview products.

the gt small is perfect for the serg with stock seat. the medium works with the 08 fltr and sunray seat.

the custom will get tried out shortly.

TN

I'm curious of the custom, take a pic for us please.

MontyB

• Amazing! You can actually SEE the laws of physics breaking!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Twilight
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2008, 07:40:50 PM »

Dede

Looks like there's a rash of Road Glides looking for windshields today!

I recently switched to a clearview windshield with the reflex top edge and am very pleased.  FYI if you go to their website http://clearviewshields.com/shop/product.php?id=9  and scroll down to the blue button "Current Inventory" you can view what they have in stock. I recommend considering a "Blem" as you can save about 1/3 the price.  I bought a blem and could not find anything wrong with its appearance when it arrived.  I figured the first time I end up behind a truck I'm gonna get hit by a stone anyway so even a perfect shield won't stay that way for long...

Cheers!
"Good news, Marge!  I've learned how to walk naked on stilts!"
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2008, 04:41:36 PM »

I'm curious of the custom, take a pic for us please.

will do.

TN

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2008, 11:49:54 AM »

stock standard angle 2.25" shorter,recurve.

not enough test time to give good review but seems to be ok.

TN

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2008, 11:51:15 AM »

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2008, 12:12:48 PM »

Here's my take on this. Everybody's right. Here's why. For most riding, the 12" KW will do you fine and just looks soooooooooo cool. If you've seen one of these on a Road Glide it is as significant a styling addition as saddlebag spoilers, a nice seat, you name it. They make the RG look finished in a way no other windshield does. However as mentioned, they do create turbulence issues that for me personally have not proven to be an issue on short rides (under 200 miles) but I would agree would be annoying riding all day long. Therefore, if you're going on a long trip, then there's no doubt the Clearview (size dependant on your personal HumEng factors) can't be beat. As with anything else, there is no one size fits all. If you're not running the H-D Chrome trim (which I decided after awhile I don't care for) then you can swap out a winshield in 10 minutes. And H-D sells a nice cotton lined canvas bag to store the one you're not using in. Hang it from a hook out of the way in your garage and your shield will always be scratch free.

B B 

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2008, 12:42:55 PM »

my bad the first pic is a gt msd. :drink:

here is the stock angle with recurve - 2.25"

MikeD

« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2008, 06:00:30 PM »

Looks good, I like that look! I'll wait to see your review before I order though.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2008, 06:55:22 PM »

my bad the first pic is a gt msd. :drink:

here is the stock angle with recurve - 2.25"

I have a stock height, curved  that I'd like to sell, on the bike for about 500 Miles, too short for me 6-3 , had to go to Med.,  no dings, Light Gray tint $150.00 shipped to you door... Thanks Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2008, 06:57:30 PM »

as others have said, what works for one might get it with others.

what i did was mounted a standard stock and rode while deciding what height. called and ordered, + recurve.
just the thicker material they use makes a difference.

and after getting alittle seat time today, i do like it. :2vrolijk_21:

good luck

TN

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2008, 07:33:16 PM »

So now you have me totally confused the first picture is gt (grey tint??) msd =????. It looks like that one has less recurve, it that correct? The stock angle set the wndshield more upright than the Clearview standard angle?

:bananarock: :bananarock:
     Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2008, 10:24:31 PM »

So now you have me totally confused the first picture is gt (grey tint??) msd =????. It looks like that one has less recurve, it that correct? The stock angle set the wndshield more upright than the Clearview standard angle?

:bananarock: :bananarock:
     Brad

sorry i confuse myself at times. :drink:

in post #51 it'a a gt medium, lt grey tint,  - recurve. 

TN

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2008, 06:47:23 AM »

I have a stock height, curved  that I'd like to sell, on the bike for about 500 Miles, too short for me 6-3 , had to go to Med.,  no dings, Light Gray tint $150.00 shipped to you door... Thanks Greg

That is a clearview light gray tint? If so, I'll take it. PM me the details. I can mail you a check or whatever.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2008, 08:27:07 PM »

On the clearview shilds.

I my understanding correct, the GT shields are at a different angle than the stock angle clearvie shields.  Is that correct?

TN which do you like better the GT or the stock angle?

How tall are you?  and which hight GT do you like best?
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2008, 06:51:39 PM »

On the clearview shilds.

I my understanding correct, the GT shields are at a different angle than the stock angle clearvie shields.  Is that correct?

TN which do you like better the GT or the stock angle?

How tall are you?  and which hight GT do you like best?

the gt has more angle to it. i like em all is my problem. :coolblue:

i'm 6' average build and the gt small is good for me with the stock seat on the serg. :2vrolijk_21:

the stock angle is growing on me. need more road time.

TN

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2008, 04:37:10 PM »

the gt has more angle to it. i like em all is my problem. :coolblue:

i'm 6' average build and the gt small is good for me with the stock seat on the serg. :2vrolijk_21:

the stock angle is growing on me. need more road time.

TN

Thanks for the reply.  I will keep following the up dates as you get more time with them
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2008, 04:39:49 PM »

I received my Clearview windshields a few days ago and thought because of the snow and cold temps I wouldn't have an opportunity for a test drive until next summer. Luckily the snow is mostly gone and its warmed up to 3 cel, or 37 F. So today I went out for a 30 minute ride. Not too keen on the 9" re curve. Much better than the stock wind screen but still lots of wind noise around the helmet.

The GT medium is great. No wind noise and I can even hear the radio. The only criticism I have is the foam seal on the back of the windshield was not applied evenly across the bottom and it sticks out above the fairing
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 04:45:54 PM by bribe36 »

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2008, 04:42:34 PM »

Here's the GT Medium

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2008, 04:44:32 PM »

And here is the foam gasket

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2008, 08:47:48 PM »

And here is the foam gasket

a razor blade will solve that problem............ :2vrolijk_21:
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2008, 08:41:27 PM »

a razor blade will solve that problem............ :2vrolijk_21:

It may solve that problem but now the windshield is resting directly on the fairing. That can't be good for the paint, or the windshield

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2008, 08:58:31 PM »

I started out thinking the windshield was responsible for the turbulance, but after adding hard lowers and extending my fork air baffle 1 1/2 in I went from an x large clearview to a stock 12 in with complete comfort.

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2008, 09:52:20 AM »

It may solve that problem but now the windshield is resting directly on the fairing. That can't be good for the paint, or the windshield

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing here..... are we talking about that piece of rubber sticking out from the base of the windshield?
can't you trim it back far enough to protect the paint and NOT have it sticking out so far???
looks like an easy fix to me. :nixweiss:
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

seharleyrider

• CVO1: 2009 SERG (orange/black)
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2008, 08:40:34 PM »

how did you extend your fork baffle ??

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2008, 09:18:43 PM »

I picked up some black belting at tractor supply trimmed it to fit the air baffle contour and pop riveted it in place so it clears from lock to lock by about 1/16 of an in, it is not even noticible unless you know its there and really keeps the wind from coming through the opening.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2008, 09:33:55 PM »

I picked up some black belting at tractor supply trimmed it to fit the air baffle contour and pop riveted it in place so it clears from lock to lock by about 1/16 of an in, it is not even noticible unless you know its there and really keeps the wind from coming through the opening.
:worthless:

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

rasmusmi

« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2008, 11:04:43 PM »

CV has come up with better mounting hardware for the chrome shield trim.  They charge $5 extra for it.  I'm sure it will work better now; however, personally I just don't like the look of the chrome trim on a SERG.  It seems out of place to me, which is why I'm not using one. 

I agree..the chrome trim looks too "Goldwing-ish" for my liking...BUT to each, his own.

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2008, 12:10:35 PM »

The clearview seem to be the best material ( thick ) .
I am 6,07 ft , what`s about the clearview GTX Large , is it necessary or is the GT enough ,
( I do not want the wind blows in the ears on longer tours ).
It would be good to post your height with the comment about the shields , Please .  ::)
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2008, 11:53:03 AM »

you will not be pleased with the 12 in Klock Werk shield, they are flimsey and flop around at Idle, they do not come with a gasket or mounting Hardware, and the Turbulance at 75 mph will rattle you eyeballs. They do look good on a Road Glide.

Do you agree ?

What is the best shield ( no wind in the eyes and no wind at the ears ) for a 6.1 feet rider ?

The clearview XLarge with recurve or the Clearview Large with recurve or what ?

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2008, 12:45:38 PM »

IM 5' 11" and the large is plenty for me I probably could do with a medium my torso is short.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2008, 01:00:08 PM »

you will not be pleased with the 12 in Klock Werk shield, they are flimsey and flop around at Idle, they do not come with a gasket or mounting Hardware, and the Turbulance at 75 mph will rattle you eyeballs. They do look good on a Road Glide.

Do you agree ?

What is the best shield ( no wind in the eyes and no wind at the ears ) for a 6.1 feet rider ?

The clearview XLarge with recurve or the Clearview Large with recurve or what ?

My own experience with it agrees completely.  Looked good; sitting still on the driveway.  Was useless on the bike.  Loud, turbulent and generally annoying to ride behind.  Gave it a couple weeks to try it out.  Then removed it.

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2008, 01:59:34 AM »

I think that here is no pic of a GT Large in grey tinted ,
WHY ?
All are clear , is the grey tinted not making sense ?

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2008, 03:43:44 AM »

Anyone know if it's possible to have a windshield tinted? I have a Clearview with the light tint but it's just not enough.

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2008, 11:47:46 AM »

Anyone know if it's possible to have a windshield tinted? I have a Clearview with the light tint but it's just not enough.

You can tint any windshield, but it will probably scratch over time.  It is best to order a shield that has the color molded in the plastic.  This way even if they scratch it can be buffed out. 

The windshield debate has been going on forever and I have tried a number of different shields on my bike.  The one I like the best is the ClearView GT Small with recurve.  This is -1 in. shorter than the standard RG factory window.  I custom ordered the shield from them in Dark Gray tint.  They use this material on their sport shield, but will also make a larger one if you like.  CV custom makes each shield to order, but they will not refund the $$ on a custom shield if you don't like it. 

I am attaching some pics of three of the shields I've used that seem to look the best on the bike.  I've also used the 12" KW and CV GT Large (+2" above stock).  I don't have a good pic of the 12" KW because I hated it so much it wasn't on the bike long enough for me to take a pic.  My profile pic has a photo of the CV GT Large, which has to be clear because you look through it.  The CV GT Large is an excellent shield, but I like the dark color better. 

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2008, 02:29:03 PM »

Jim I agree the last one on your list of pics looks good, is it the med or -1 CV?   Thanks Doc

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2008, 02:51:44 PM »

Jim I agree the last one on your list of pics looks good, is it the med or -1 CV?   Thanks Doc

It is the -1 CV w/recurve.  It is called GT Small on their website. 

I have tried about every shield you can get.  The bike is cool and needs an aggressive looking shield, but as the rider I also need the function.  I got a touring bike to tour with.  It is a PITA to change the shield to cruise and change it again to hit the road.  My goal was to find a shield that doesn't beat me to death or make me deaf while maintaining the balanced look of the bike.  The Dark Gray CV was the solution for me.  It is a solid color throughout and tall enough to keep the majority of the wind off of me.  I've had it up to 90 mph so far and I get some wind, but it works a million times better than KW.  The CV Large is much better at keeping the wind off of me, but I don't think the light gray tint looks as good as a darker color.  You can't go too dark on a shield you look through. 

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2008, 03:00:45 PM »

I've got the KW 8" Flare on my '07 RG... Beats the hell out of every other shorty I've had on, but still more wind than a tall-boy. I rode 4500 miles in 15 days back in July/Aug with this windshield... Tennessee to Canada around Lake Superior back into Minnesota through Iowa to Sturgis and then home the fast way. Did 775 miles in one day between the Missouri river and Illinois just east of St. Louis -- at highway speeds, in and out of fog and rain... had some challenges, but nothing that was a real problem.

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »

The CV sport , standard angle with recurve looks very good .
( -2.25 ) isn`t on the CV-side ,
 is this -2.25 a custom ?

shredsurf

• '09 FLTR - Red Hot Sunglo
« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2009, 10:44:28 AM »

Anyone running or have tried the Cee Bailey's - 14" Super Step Contour (dome) Shield?

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2009, 01:07:44 PM »

I have and you know as you have read the tread.  Doc   PS. I will not be looking for another shield till this one wears out.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 21 queries.