Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: D & D exhaust / FLH Boss  (Read 6873 times)

vtyanqui

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SERK Anniversary Model
    • CVO2: 09 SERG "Silver"
D & D exhaust / FLH Boss
« on: February 27, 2009, 03:04:18 PM »

Hey Al,

In anticipation of the arrival of my 09 SERG in June I've been searching our site to come up with a suitable exhaust system. So far I'm not sold on any of the systems described.  Today I rode over to my local H-D dealer and asked the head mechanic what he recommended.  Without any hesitation he said D&D Boss.  He said they look great but more important they're easy to work with (read easy to tune).  As luck would have it there was a Road King in for it's 10K mile service and it had the two into one D&D Boss installed.  He cranked it up and I was pleased.  I've been running Thunderheaders on my 08 Screamin' Eagle Road King and love the sound; these pipes were comperable in sound quality plus they came with either a 4" straight cut or bologna cut muffler outlet.  I was sold -- almost.  I'd like to know if anyone else has considered the D&D Boss and if so what was your final assessment?  The web sit is: www.danddexhaust.com/catalog/2009/02/54931g.htm#specs  I had trouble accessing it on line with this site so just googled danddexhaust catalog and when it came up clicked on Harley Davidson and it took me right to the site.  Don't ask me why but I couldn't access it directly.
Comments please.

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
Re: D & D exhaust / FLH Boss
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 03:34:23 PM »

vtyanqui,

The D&D Boss appears to be similar to D&D's FatCat 2-into-1 which is highly preferred for performance. However, they are louder than a lot of pipes out there, even with the quiet baffle.

For the '09 SERG, a straight 2-1 pipe leaves you with an appearance issue. As you may know the stock exhaust is a 2-1-2. With the bag and fender extensions on the FLTRSE3, there is a semicircular cutout around the pipes on both sides at the rear. If you go with a 2-1 such as the D&D Boss, you will have an empty cutout on the left side of the bike. Fortunately, D&D offers a "falsie" muffler for the left side, but it comes at addtional cost. Be sure you take this into consideration if you a serious about the D&D Boss or any 2-1 exhaust system.

Cheers!

vtyanqui

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 03:46:28 PM »

Exactly. I would buy the left ghost exhaust to compliment the right side.  Just my opinion, but I think a single exhaust on a bagger especially the SERG would look terrible.  Do you know of or have you heard of anyone putting these pipes on an 09 SERG?  I'm just wondering how they fit and if they improve hp and torque as much as my mechanic says.

Thanks much.

Rob

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 04:27:01 PM »

As a rule, Rob, 2-1 exhaust systems such as the D&D FatCat, D&D Boss, V&H ProPipe, Reinhart 2-1, etc. will produce more pounds and ponies than a hybrid (2-1-2 as on the '09 touring models or the older touring models where the rear header split to the right and left sides) exhaust system. The difference will be even more pronounced when comparing a 2-1 exhaust system to a true dual system (take your pick of brand here).

This is pretty well-known among those who are looking to squeeze the most performance out of their bikes.

Keep in mind, though, there are other factors to consider. A 2-1 system will provide the best performance out of any particular build. However, without other mods on the CVO 110, you are never going to wring all the potential performance out of that powerplant. For that, you'll have to do head work, valves, cams, higher compression, etc., etc.

vtyanqui

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 04:41:40 PM »

Hey Rick - have no fear, I have no intention of cracking the head at least for the first two years - after that who knows.  Right now I just want to improve the intake and exhaust to make my new bike run better / cooler than it would stock.  I'll have my dealer put on the new exhaust, intake, and SERT before I take it home and put it on the dyno at the 1K mile service.  Say, speaking of 1K mile service, did you wait until 1K to have your first oil change or did you do it after the first 100 miles?

Thanks again,

Rob

RickC

• 1K CVO Member

• Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 05:12:16 PM »

I'll have my dealer put on the new exhaust, intake, and SERT before I take it home and put it on the dyno at the 1K mile service.  Say, speaking of 1K mile service, did you wait until 1K to have your first oil change or did you do it after the first 100 miles?

Just picked up my 09 SERG two weeks ago yesterday. Because of intermittent weather (last week) and my back being out (this week), I've only got about 350 miles on the odometer at this point.

Shortly after break-in (500 miles), I'm going to replace the header with a non-CVO (cat-free) head pipe, install the Fullsac baffles and use the TTS Mastertune to save off the stock map and dowload Fullsac's dyno-tuned map for the SERG.

I'll wait to change the oil at 1K miles. I'm switching the crankcase oil from Syn3 to AMSOIL. Every study I've seen says it's the best oil out there. They've got a big rig tractor running around with 450,000 miles without an oil change! Granted they are using an advanced filtration system of their own design and they are sampling and testing the oil at the mfg-recommended intervals, but they've not changed the engine oil is almost half a million miles. Pretty astonishing.

I'll probably also do something other than Syn3 in the other two holes. AMSOIL has a gear oil that I've used in the tranny on my previous scooter, but all the good thing I'm hearing about Redline Shock Heavy (or whatever it's called now) have me thinking about switching. That leaves the primary and I'm not sure yet what I'll do there.

vtyanqui

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 05:38:28 PM »

Rick - congratulations on receiving your new SERG.  I know how excited / frustrated you must be with her sitting in your garage while you wait for the weather to clear nursing an aching back.  Hope you are on the mend and on the road soon.

Sounds like you've got a plan - good luck with the Fullsac baffles.

I've only used Mobil 1 V-twin synthetic in my 08 Screamin' Eagle Road King and I like it; it runs well and cool.  I've read about Amsoil and Redline but don't know anyone in my area who uses it.  I think I'll stick with the Mobil 1.

In a former thread you and I shared - I called Cee Baileys after we chatted last night and ordered the 13" dark shield.  I spoke with Joe and confirmed the height and asked him if the 20% discount were still on.  He passed me to Tony (one of the sales reps) who told me if I ordered it right then he would sell it to me for a flat $200.00.  I didn't think twice.

Keep the rubber side down.

Rob

RickC

• 1K CVO Member

• Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 06:31:43 PM »

Rick - congratulations on receiving your new SERG.  I know how excited / frustrated you must be with her sitting in your garage while you wait for the weather to clear nursing an aching back.  Hope you are on the mend and on the road soon.

Thanks. Me, too!

Sounds like you've got a plan - good luck with the Fullsac baffles.

I do. Now, I just need a little time -- and a good back -- to execute the plan.

I've only used Mobil 1 V-twin synthetic in my 08 Screamin' Eagle Road King and I like it; it runs well and cool.  I've read about Amsoil and Redline but don't know anyone in my area who uses it.  I think I'll stick with the Mobil 1.

I have a riding buddy who has used Mobil 1 for years. Mobil 1 finishes a very close second behind AMSOIL in all the studies I've seen. Nothing else is even close. Mfg's oils appear to be way down the list.

Mobil 1 is certainly more readily available and, I think, a little less expensive. I think it's another excellent choice for your V-Twin.

In a former thread you and I shared - I called Cee Baileys after we chatted last night and ordered the 13" dark shield.  I spoke with Joe and confirmed the height and asked him if the 20% discount were still on.  He passed me to Tony (one of the sales reps) who told me if I ordered it right then he would sell it to me for a flat $200.00.  I didn't think twice.

Good on ya, mate. Glad they honored the discount -- maybe a little more, from the sounds of it. I think you were smart not to think twice.

Keep the rubber side down.

Right back atcha!

vtyanqui

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »

Rick - as far as I can tell the Mfg's product is not nearly as good as the three we've mentioned.  However, I have another reason for not using or recommending it; it's a product of CITCO and that's a subsidiary of the state owned Venezuelan Oil Company that's giving our government such a hard time.  I can't believe Harley-Davidson is working with CITCO.

Gotta run, our HOG chapter is sponsoring the Louisiana state rally next month and I have to pre-ride a ride we're offering to the Bonnie and Clyde Museum and site where they were gunned down.

Enjoy the weekend and I hope your back is better.

Rob

Resbiker

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 09:17:47 AM »

Sure a lot of info you guys are sharing regarding exhaust mods....so, is there any word on someone actually coming out with 4" diameter slip ons?  Will probably need to wait until someone puts it together.  :-\
2009 Sil/Tit SERG
2004 Bl/Blue SEEG
1989 Cop E-glide
Jap Bikes
#1 = 1960 Cushman Super Eagle

RickC

• 1K CVO Member

• Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 11:16:19 PM »

... the Mfg's product .... I have another reason for not using or recommending it; it's a product of CITCO and that's a subsidiary of the state owned Venezuelan Oil Company that's giving our government such a hard time.... 

I didn't know that, Rob. If true, that is disturbing. Where can I find out more about Harley-Davidson and CITGO???

09 S/T FLTRSE3

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 Silver/ Titanium FLTRSE3
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 11:35:51 PM »

I didn't know that, Rob. If true, that is disturbing. Where can I find out more about Harley-Davidson and CITGO???

Hey Rick,

Cobre makes a descent looking slip on that is 4". Not sure what they sound like.

Fulsac Performance makes replacement baffles for the 4" CVO mufflers in 1.75", 2.0", and 2.25" with obviously varying degrees of loudness. They are fairly easy to install. It requires a bit of grinding on the spot welds that hold the stock CVO baffles in, and drilling 1 small hole to mount the Fulsacs. If you are not mechanically inclined, you can send them in to Steve at Fulsac and he will replace them for you. You can retain the excellent looks of the stock CVO mufflers and get the sound / performance that you like. Hope this helps.

Cheers, Ken  8)

RickC

• 1K CVO Member

• Rick Rocks On!
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 11:59:53 PM »

Thanks, Ken!

Actually, I already have my exhaust mods in hand. I have a set of 2" Fullsacs that I'll be installing after I finish the break-in on my Silver Bullet.

I was interested in the information on Harley buying their lubricants from CITGO.

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 07:53:24 AM »

Below is a listing of Lubricants and Cleaners and Polishes.

Lubricants
Product H-D Part#...Manufacturer
H-D WINTER FUEL CONDITIONER 99889-91A HJS of Wisconsin
H-D FUEL ADDITIVE 99893-91A Polar Molecular
H-D FORK OIL TYPE B 99880-73 HJS of Wisconsin
H-D FORK OIL TYPE E 99884-80 CITGO Petroleum
H-D SCREAMIN' EAGLE FORK OIL (HEAVY) 99881-87 CITGO Petroleum
H-D SCREAMIN' EAGLE RACING FORK OIL (EXTRA HEAVY) 99909-93R CITGO Petroleum
H-D PRIMARY LUBRICANT 99887-84 CITGO Petroleum
H-D MOTOR OIL, SAE 10W-40 99816-1040 CITGO Petroleum
H-D MOTOR OIL, SAE 20W-50 99816-2050 CITGO Petroleum
H-D MOTOR OIL, SAE 50 99816-50 CITGO Petroleum
H-D MOTOR OIL, SAE 60 99816-60 CITGO Petroleum
H-D SCREAMIN' EAGLE SYNTHETIC MOTORCYCLE LUBRICANT 99824-03 CITGO Petroleum
H-D SEMI-SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION LUBRICANT 99892-84 CITGO Petroleum
H-D SPORT-TRANS FLUID 99896-88 HJS of Wisconsin
DOT 5 BRAKE FLUID 99902-77 Dow-Corning
H-D WHEEL BEARING GREASE 99856-92 HJS of Wisconsin
SPECIAL PURPOSE GREASE 99857-97 HJS of Wisconsin
H-D POLY OIL 99860-81 General Polymeric

HARLEY GLAZE 99701-84 Chemrite Industries
HARLEY GLOSS 94627-98 Chemrite Industries
HARLEY SUN WASH 94659-98 Chemrite Industries
HARLEY SWIRL & SCRATCH REMOVER 94655-98 Chemrite Industries
HARLEY WHEEL & TIRE CLEANER 94658-98 Chemrite Industries
H-D WINDSHIELD WATER REPELLENT 99841-01 Chemrite Industries
H-D SPRAY POLISH 99817-99 Petro-Chemical Products
HARLEY BRIGHT METAL POLISH 99725-89 Rolite Chemical
H-D BLACK CRÈME POLISH 99271-96V Apple Polishes
H-D LEATHER CARE 98263-95V Apple Polishes
H-D LEATHER CLEANER 99274-98V Apple Polishes
H-D SUEDE & FABRIC CLEANER 99272-96V Apple Polishes
H-D LEATHER DRESSING 98261-91V Pecard Chemical Publisher Detail

Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

vtyanqui

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 08:09:40 AM »

Below is a listing of Lubricants and Cleaners and Polishes.

Lubricants
H-D WINTER FUEL CONDITIONER 99889-91A HJS of Wisconsin
H-D FUEL ADDITIVE 99893-91A Polar Molecular
H-D FORK OIL TYPE B 99880-73 HJS of Wisconsin
H-D FORK OIL TYPE E 99884-80 CITGO Petroleum
H-D SCREAMIN' EAGLE FORK OIL (HEAVY) 99881-87 CITGO Petroleum
H-D SCREAMIN' EAGLE RACING FORK OIL (EXTRA HEAVY) 99909-93R CITGO Petroleum
H-D PRIMARY LUBRICANT 99887-84 CITGO Petroleum
H-D MOTOR OIL, SAE 10W-40 99816-1040 CITGO Petroleum
H-D MOTOR OIL, SAE 20W-50 99816-2050 CITGO Petroleum
H-D MOTOR OIL, SAE 50 99816-50 CITGO Petroleum
H-D MOTOR OIL, SAE 60 99816-60 CITGO Petroleum
H-D SCREAMIN' EAGLE SYNTHETIC MOTORCYCLE LUBRICANT 99824-03 CITGO Petroleum
H-D SEMI-SYNTHETIC TRANSMISSION LUBRICANT 99892-84 CITGO Petroleum
H-D SPORT-TRANS FLUID 99896-88 HJS of Wisconsin
DOT 5 BRAKE FLUID 99902-77 Dow-Corning
H-D WHEEL BEARING GREASE 99856-92 HJS of Wisconsin
SPECIAL PURPOSE GREASE 99857-97 HJS of Wisconsin
H-D POLY OIL 99860-81 General Polymeric

HARLEY GLAZE 99701-84 Chemrite Industries
HARLEY GLOSS 94627-98 Chemrite Industries
HARLEY SUN WASH 94659-98 Chemrite Industries
HARLEY SWIRL & SCRATCH REMOVER 94655-98 Chemrite Industries
HARLEY WHEEL & TIRE CLEANER 94658-98 Chemrite Industries
H-D WINDSHIELD WATER REPELLENT 99841-01 Chemrite Industries
H-D SPRAY POLISH 99817-99 Petro-Chemical Products
HARLEY BRIGHT METAL POLISH 99725-89 Rolite Chemical
H-D BLACK CRÈME POLISH 99271-96V Apple Polishes
H-D LEATHER CARE 98263-95V Apple Polishes
H-D LEATHER CLEANER 99274-98V Apple Polishes
H-D SUEDE & FABRIC CLEANER 99272-96V Apple Polishes
H-D LEATHER DRESSING 98261-91V Pecard Chemical Publisher Detail

OldLefty - thanks for the breakdown regarding CITGO lubricants and Harley Davidson.  When I first heard about it I was shocked.

vtyanqui

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 21 queries.