Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Author Topic: Heads up....Front Tire Cupping!!!!!  (Read 27610 times)

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
Re: Heads up....Front Tire Cupping!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2009, 09:34:10 AM »

63 is the index for the weight and that is the same .
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 SE Fat Boy
    • CVO2: Blown 150HP 09 SE Road Glide
    • CVO3: No need to go further!
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2009, 11:20:52 PM »

Stealer says No replacement for my cupped out front at 3.6K. I was told I had to replace it at my expense if its worn out. I say it is a safety issue and should be recalled. Has any one else gotten a replacement under warranty? If this were a car...... :nixweiss:
HWStar - Pro Charger; 153 hp 136 ft lbs, Jackpot header, 2-1/4 Fullsac's, TTS and PC-V with auto-tune, Dynojet Quick shifter, Xenon HI/low.

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2009, 01:04:16 AM »

Stealer says No replacement for my cupped out front at 3.6K. I was told I had to replace it at my expense if its worn out. I say it is a safety issue and should be recalled. Has any one else gotten a replacement under warranty? If this were a car...... :nixweiss:

As I said 5 posts before this one, my dealer got approval from MoCo to warranty my tire at 5k
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2009, 06:43:55 AM »

Highwaystar,
See quote.

Highwaystar,
The dealer replaced my front wheel and tire at 13k on my 09 SERG under warranty. Front tire was worn so bad that the trailing edge of the tread was worn down to the groove and the bike had one heck of a vibration. They installed the D408 F.  I have 2K on the new tire and the tread wear is perfect.
2019 FLHXSE Charred Steel/Lightning Silver
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLTRXS Wicked Red Denim
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 - FLHTCUSE6 "Big Blue"
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2009, 09:43:19 PM »

The E3 is 130/70 R 18 63 H and the D 408 F is 130/70 B 18 63 H
A "R" instead of a "B" , i think this "B" is fixed in the papers of the bike and you are not allowed to mount a "R" instead of a "B" tire - Damn .

The E3 was the standard tire for the 2007 SERK, if you can get an E3 installed you will be very happy with that tire. Just ask HOIST! about it!

gordy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2009, 10:02:23 PM »

Has anyone put Metzler ME 880's or Avon Cobra's on?  I have them on  my Deuce and am happy but on the SERG? :-*

2009FLTRSE3

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2009, 02:16:47 PM »

As I said 5 posts before this one, my dealer got approval from MoCo to warranty my tire at 5k

Your Dealer must like you! I am at 5K on the tire and feel it is unsafe but I was told by Victorville HD and Customer service that there is a "Running Change" at the factory but it is not a recall and they will not warranty the tire. 

Any Ideas other than just use my Tire and Wheel Coverage?

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2009, 07:10:14 PM »

Your Dealer must like you! I am at 5K on the tire and feel it is unsafe but I was told by Victorville HD and Customer service that there is a "Running Change" at the factory but it is not a recall and they will not warranty the tire. 

Any Ideas other than just use my Tire and Wheel Coverage?

My service manager told me that it was on a case by case basis and that they would have to call HD customer service to get approval. If your servicing dealer won't make the call, you do it. The number is in the front of your owners manual. I would stress the safety factor and that 5K is too little milage to be replacing a tire. Dunlop obviously knew they had a problem, why would they build a tire that only the dealers can get and is not even on their website. They want to try and get through all the 407's so they don't have to destroy a bunch of tires. Hope this helps Joe!.......
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2009, 08:26:56 PM »

I have been looking to get a new front tire for my 2008 SERK before the Hood River GTG. I been to the two Austin TX dealers and the Temple TX dealer. This is what I found out. Dunlop is changing the D407F to a D408F which reverses the tread pattern, two of the three dealers I spoke to don't have any front tires in stock and the new D408F tires are on backorder until June 24th. If you get a tire from a dealer now, it will probably be the old D407F tire that wears out in 8K or less miles.

I'll wait until June 24th, get the latest then and if I have to, I'll just go to the Honda dealer and buy a Dunlop Elite 3 for the front and ride for 16K miles. I have had two of them already for about 32K.

2009FLTRSE3

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2009, 11:23:49 PM »

My service manager told me that it was on a case by case basis and that they would have to call HD customer service to get approval. If your servicing dealer won't make the call, you do it. The number is in the front of your owners manual. I would stress the safety factor and that 5K is too little milage to be replacing a tire. Dunlop obviously knew they had a problem, why would they build a tire that only the dealers can get and is not even on their website. They want to try and get through all the 407's so they don't have to destroy a bunch of tires. Hope this helps Joe!.......

Yea i spoke with the customer service this morning before the post they were no help. I will file a complaint with the NHTSA, mabey with some help it might force a recall.

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2009, 06:42:08 PM »

Stopped by the Central Texas HD in Round Rock today and the subject of the tire came up with the part counter guy. Now this dealer has the old D407F tire in stock so his computer had the new D408F tire's part number superceded back to the old D407F tire and the old D047F tire pending obsolete. The Cowboy HD in south Austin did not have any of the old D407F tires in stock so their compture showed the D407F tire superceded by the new D408F tire.

Isn't that just like HD to let the customers foot the bill on clearing old stock of problem tires instead of getting the manufacturer Dunlop to eat the junk tires.
 :soapbox:

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 SE Fat Boy
    • CVO2: Blown 150HP 09 SE Road Glide
    • CVO3: No need to go further!
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2009, 07:17:05 PM »

What is the number to the NHSTA? We need to send a strong message concerning safety....The treatment I got from APPLETON HARLEY DAVIDSON was not good. I was told NO tire at 3200 miles and get out my wallet if I wanted to order a new tire...MoCo said N...O...      #$@&%^$ and $#&@*%!!!!!! ... :drink:
HWStar - Pro Charger; 153 hp 136 ft lbs, Jackpot header, 2-1/4 Fullsac's, TTS and PC-V with auto-tune, Dynojet Quick shifter, Xenon HI/low.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2009, 07:54:07 PM »

What is the number to the NHSTA? We need to send a strong message concerning safety....The treatment I got from APPLETON HARLEY DAVIDSON was not good. I was told NO tire at 3200 miles and get out my wallet if I wanted to order a new tire...MoCo said N...O...      #$@&%^$ and $#&@*%!!!!!! ... :drink:
Isn't that just like HD to let the customers foot the bill on clearing old stock of problem tires instead of getting the manufacturer Dunlop to eat the junk tires.
 :soapbox:

Yes, that's exactly like H-D and it's the reason I've refused to buy another bike from them.  They peddle crap and then expect the dumb asses who buy their products to foot the bill to fix their lousy engineering and their lousy quality.  Definitely file a complaint with the NHTSA, (888) 327-4236  or you can even do it online by filling out a form on their website.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2009, 08:44:34 PM »

It's not up to the dealer or Harley! My dealer kept saying to many miles I said go read the Dunlop Warranty include with every bike sale, I got 3 tires from Harley on the wife's 07 FLHRSE3. I know I'm the exception. Maybe Harley has change their Warranty but Dunlop has not!!!!

The tires are warrantied by Dunlop as follows.

WHAT IS WARRANTED
Every new Dunlop motorcycle tire that becomes unserviceable within six years or 72 months of the date of manufacture for conditions other than those which are listed under "WHAT IS NOT COVERED" will be replaced on the basis specified under "REPLACEMENT COST" below.

ELIGIBILITY
This warranty is extended to the first retail purchaser.

REPLACEMENT COST UP TO 50% WORN
If, during the first fifty percent (50%) of tread wear, the tire becomes unserviceable for a condition covered by this warranty, it will be replaced with a comparable new Dunlop tire. You pay only for retailer services, such as mounting and balancing.

AFTER 50% TREAD WEAR
If, after the first fifty percent (50%) of tread wear, the tire becomes unserviceable for a condition covered by this warranty, your Dunlop motorcycle tire retailer will replace it with a comparable new Dunlop tire at a cost calculated in the following manner:

Either your original buying price substantiated by invoice, or the retailer's current selling price, times (x)
Fifty percent (50%)
Plus (+) all applicable federal excise taxes, and local taxes and all charges for retailer services such as mounting and balancing
A CASH REFUND WILL NOT BE EXTENDED IN LIEU OF THE ABOVE. 

:bananarock: :bananarock:
    Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2009, 09:26:10 PM »

Thanks for the info on the tire Brad.  I checked my front tire and I have one of the dreaded D407F's.  Good to know before I have to hold some feet to the fire.

I was at the stealer today asking about using Amsoil/Redline/Mobil instead of Syn3.  Was given the line that it would void my warranty. :soapbox:
It seems that most of the stealers/HD/Dunlop/HD Extended Warranty are trying to avoid holding up their end of the bargain.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 09:28:33 PM by charles05663 »
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.