Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ran out of gas tonight...WTF  (Read 4200 times)

Rescueu2

Ran out of gas tonight...WTF
« on: August 22, 2009, 11:21:03 PM »

was on my way home from Alton today, when I ran out of gas 2 miles from the front door. The gauge was stuck on a half tank and no low fuel light Luckily a guy stopped and just so happened to have a gas can full of gas. This was my first trip with this "new to me" bike, so I am still trying to figure out the MPG. I have ran 3 tanks of gas and have always got a low fuel light, and the gauge has always worked, what happened??

Anyone had the same issue???

2005 FLSTFSE, Colbalt Blue, Arnott Air Ride, V&H Side Shots, HeadLight Nacelle, LED Lights and LED Panacea System

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
Re: Ran out of gas tonight...WTF
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 12:22:41 AM »

better get that one checked out soon..

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 12:47:28 AM »

Don't care what kind of fancy gauges they might have.  Always measure fuel on a Harley by the odometer.  Because while the gauges may be fancy they're rarely all that accurate :P .

Glad you were so close to home and had the good Samaritan show up as he did.  These beasts are too heavy to push very far.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 03:43:34 AM »

Don't care what kind of fancy gauges they might have.  Always measure fuel on a Harley by the odometer.  Because while the gauges may be fancy they're rarely all that accurate :P .

Glad you were so close to home and had the good Samaritan show up as he did.  These beasts are too heavy to push very far.

Couldnt hav written it betta myself.

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 05:56:46 AM »

Yep....

I use my trip meter for every tank, you have a choice a,b you pick one.

Just use it.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 06:20:46 AM »

Yep....

I use my trip meter for every tank, you have a choice a,b you pick one.

Just use it.

Ditto!

I too ONLY use the odometer as my fuel gauge. Actually, I use "A" for fuel and "B" as a guide for service intervals.

Now if Rescueu2 reset his odometer when he filled up prior to running out, he would know exactly how many miles he can go on a tank.  So it's a good thing especially happening close to home where help is nearby.  Now he's ready to hit the open road on a trip with this valuable knowledge burned in his mind.
 :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 06:24:07 AM by Grizzly »
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

Rescueu2

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 09:58:17 AM »

Well had this been my Deuce, I would have know exactly where I was on fuel, but this being a SE 103cu, you all know it burns fuel faster, AND it is the first trip and the second tank of gas that I have put in the bike since I bought it. So I guess I am being defensive when I say this, and I am not a novice rider. What kinda milege do you guys typically get out of a tank of gas on the SEFB??

My main point to posting this was to see if others had had a similar problem with the SEFB gas gauge or if it is an isolated problem!
2005 FLSTFSE, Colbalt Blue, Arnott Air Ride, V&H Side Shots, HeadLight Nacelle, LED Lights and LED Panacea System

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 12:17:58 PM »

Well had this been my Deuce, I would have know exactly where I was on fuel, but this being a SE 103cu, you all know it burns fuel faster, AND it is the first trip and the second tank of gas that I have put in the bike since I bought it. So I guess I am being defensive when I say this, and I am not a novice rider. What kinda milege do you guys typically get out of a tank of gas on the SEFB??

My main point to posting this was to see if others had had a similar problem with the SEFB gas gauge or if it is an isolated problem!

First trip on a new bike.  And run out.  That's harsh.  Again sorry for the hassle of it. 

Not on a Fatboy but on an Electra Glide with a little engine work I get just under 40 depending on winds.  I stop for gas at about 150.  Doing it that way there's at least a gallon left to keep looking if nothing happens to be close by.

Rescueu2

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 04:24:19 PM »

Yeah that's about what the trip was 150, thing was I was riding with 3 other guys and we all gassed up at the same time, they both still had 1/4 tank :o

we were going 70-75 mph! This is the first fuel injected bike I have had, wasn't a biggie with the carbed bikes!

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 04:29:26 PM »

First trip on a new bike.  And run out.  That's harsh.  Again sorry for the hassle of it. 

Not on a Fatboy but on an Electra Glide with a little engine work I get just under 40 depending on winds.  I stop for gas at about 150.  Doing it that way there's at least a gallon left to keep looking if nothing happens to be close by.

Same here - somewhere around 40 mpg unless towing the Bushtec - with the Bustec (with with a BSR) I drop to around 35 mpg...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Wild Bill

• CVO1: 2006 FLSTFSE2
    • CVO2: 2006 VRSCSE2 - Sold
    • CVO3: 2009 Buell Blast - OK not a CVO but fun
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 10:56:06 AM »

Mine does 45mpg - drops to 40ish with the windshield.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 11:03:26 AM »

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 25 queries.