Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Miles between oil change Q.  (Read 10790 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Miles between oil change Q.
« on: April 23, 2016, 10:57:26 AM »

I had a oil change at 6k on my Ultra. I've got 11.5k on it now this will be it's second change
Q. is it dew for a change or is it soon? and dose the primary as a rule get changed at the same time as the motor oil?
At the shop I plan on going to the fella asked how many miles I've got on it, I told him and he said the primary should be changed every 2,500 miles.  :nixweiss:
Thanks.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Miles between oil change Q.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 11:00:33 AM »

Change all three holes at 5000 mIle intervals.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 11:38:28 AM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Cheers!  :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 12:34:33 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I don't even do that.  Engine and primary at 5k.  Any good transmission gear oil will live a lot longer.  For me the tranny gets changed with the spring services in even numbered years or at about 25k miles.  Even that is an abundance of caution.  Just think how long that same oil just keeps going and going and going in the third members of our automobiles?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 01:35:08 PM »

What Twolane said.  I would further comment that it depends on what kind of lubricant you run in the transmission.  If running a real gear lubricant, which I do, you only need to change it around 25k miles at the earliest.  If you're running motor oil in the trans like Harley does on the CVO's, then I'd change it along with the other fluids.

The motor oil should be changed at the Harley recommended 5000 miles, and it makes sense to change the primary at the same time considering how much trash from the clutch builds up in that oil.  Harley only calls for changing the primary at 10k miles btw.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 04:47:17 PM »

What Twolane said.  I would further comment that it depends on what kind of lubricant you run in the transmission.  If running a real gear lubricant, which I do, you only need to change it around 25k miles at the earliest.  If you're running motor oil in the trans like Harley does on the CVO's, then I'd change it along with the other fluids.

The motor oil should be changed at the Harley recommended 5000 miles, and it makes sense to change the primary at the same time considering how much trash from the clutch builds up in that oil.  Harley only calls for changing the primary at 10k miles btw.

Jerry

What gear lube do you use? I have left it up to the HD shop 20/50w Davidson oil I believe is in all three. I'm going to start changing it my self. It makes more cense to use a gear lube in a trans.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 07:40:53 AM by longlast »

ferris bueller

• Buy The Ticket Take The Ride
    • IL

• CVO1: 2014 CVO ROAD KING
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 05:16:44 PM »

Change all oil every 500 miles, who knows better than the engineers who built it!

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 05:24:11 PM »

Change all oil every 500 miles, who knows better than the engineers who built it!
Did you forget a "0" or are you being facetious? You can't be serous. :nervous:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 05:36:48 PM »

Hahaha! that's a good one ;D As Firedood pointed out I take it was a type O

« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 05:40:20 PM by longlast »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 07:36:32 PM »

There are many good gear lubes.  I use Redline Shockproof Heavy, but there is also Spectro, BelRay, Mobil 1, Amsoil, and even Harley's Formula +.  What you want is 75W90.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 09:49:56 PM »

If I've towed the trailer a fair amount, I may change oil within 4k to 4.5k, primary as the book says to.  Tranny might be sooner than the recommended, again, based on how much I've pulled the Bushtec and for how many of those miles.
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2016, 10:22:59 PM »

Same as I did back in the Shovel-Head days.  Every 12-1500 miles.  Run straight 60W in the Summer.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2016, 01:32:32 AM »

There are many good gear lubes.  I use Redline Shockproof Heavy, but there is also Spectro, BelRay, Mobil 1, Amsoil, and even Harley's Formula +.  What you want is 75W90.

Jerry

Thanks for that Jerry, I got another one whilst I got ya here. I've been reading up in the manual  for my 07  and it says to use SYN3 Synthetic lube in the primary.  it also says to check the level and add if required  but doesn't say were the level should be or how to check it other then the bike be upright and at operating temp. Am I correct in saying that 20w50 motor oil is commonly used in the primary.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 01:43:17 AM by longlast »

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2016, 06:21:26 AM »

typo notwithstanding, the engineers who designed it didn't spec for oil changes in all 3 holes every 5k.  the book calls for engine every 5k, primary every 10k and transmission every 20k.  i like to do engine and primary every 5k.  with the cable clutch, i would do a clutch adjustment at the same time.  hydraulic clutch, no worries. 
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2016, 09:22:33 AM »

Thanks for that Jerry, I got another one whilst I got ya here. I've been reading up in the manual  for my 07  and it says to use SYN3 Synthetic lube in the primary.  it also says to check the level and add if required  but doesn't say were the level should be or how to check it other then the bike be upright and at operating temp. Am I correct in saying that 20w50 motor oil is commonly used in the primary.

There is no simple method to check the primary fluid level like with the motor oil and transmission, which have dipsticks.  And checking the primary level is normally only done when you change the fluids.  But the best way to check it is with the bike sitting upright and level, remove the clutch inspection cover (derby cover), and the fluid should just touch the bottom of the clutch.  Never overfill, as that can cause clutch drag.

As for the fluid, you can use one of the motor oils that claim to be OK for all three holes, like SYN-3 / Mobil 1 V-Twin / Amsoil V-Twin, or something like Formula + and similar basic gear oils.  Just make sure whatever you use is fully compatible with a wet clutch.  Some of us even run automatic transmission fluid, but that's a subject for another day.  If you prefer to limit the number of different products you have to buy and store, I'd use the motor oil for the engine and the primary, and then a real gear lube for the trans.

JMHO -Jerry

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.