Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Miles between oil change Q.  (Read 10785 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Miles between oil change Q.
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2016, 09:40:15 AM »

Same as I did back in the Shovel-Head days.  Every 12-1500 miles.  Run straight 60W in the Summer.  Later--HUBBARD

We put a man on the moon.....put men in space for many months at a time.....you'd think they could develop a filtration system that would allow us to never need an oil change.   :P
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2016, 10:00:48 AM »

We put a man on the moon.....put men in space for many months at a time.....you'd think they could develop a filtration system that would allow us to never need an oil change.   :P

It wouldn't matter JC, because way too many people have preconceived notions based on what we did thirty or forty years ago plus a ton of advertising, and even if a product was introduced that never required changing most folks would still change it.  We already have lubricants that will perform well for two, three, and even four times as long as the recommended change intervals, but very few will allow them to stay in an engine that long, other than big commercial operators who do real oil analysis and set up their own maintenance schedules.  Meanwhile, people still go to the quick lube joints that still "recommend" 3000 mile oil changes.  Sure they do, but that recommendation isn't based on what the vehicle and it's owner need, it's strictly based on the profit motive.

In the automotive world we are seeing automated systems that tell the driver when to change the motor oil based not just on miles, but instead based on how the engine has been run and under what conditions.  Two people with the exact same car might have wildly different oil change intervals based on how they use the car.  For instance, Person A might do nothing but long runs on the highway every day, while Person B may do nothing but short hops around town.  Person B would need to change the oil at a lower number of miles than Person A, since those short hops are much harder on the engine and the oil.  The automated systems take that and many many other factors into consideration.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2016, 12:16:13 PM »

OK, I know now how I'm going to precede I will use the trans gear lube and the motor lube in the other two holes. It's been 30 yrs plus since I have worked on bikes and what I do remember is some what out of date, A bit like me ;D,
Thanks for all your time and input TOP GUYS :2vrolijk_21:

btw,  Jerry I was reading the manual on the primary level and it did say not to over fill and what can happen if you do but didn't say to what level to fill it to. SO thanks for that info as well :2vrolijk_21: 

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2016, 01:30:04 PM »

It wouldn't matter JC, because way too many people have preconceived notions based on what we did thirty or forty years ago plus a ton of advertising, and even if a product was introduced that never required changing most folks would still change it.  We already have lubricants that will perform well for two, three, and even four times as long as the recommended change intervals, but very few will allow them to stay in an engine that long, other than big commercial operators who do real oil analysis and set up their own maintenance schedules.  Meanwhile, people still go to the quick lube joints that still "recommend" 3000 mile oil changes.  Sure they do, but that recommendation isn't based on what the vehicle and it's owner need, it's strictly based on the profit motive.

In the automotive world we are seeing automated systems that tell the driver when to change the motor oil based not just on miles, but instead based on how the engine has been run and under what conditions.  Two people with the exact same car might have wildly different oil change intervals based on how they use the car.  For instance, Person A might do nothing but long runs on the highway every day, while Person B may do nothing but short hops around town.  Person B would need to change the oil at a lower number of miles than Person A, since those short hops are much harder on the engine and the oil.  The automated systems take that and many many other factors into consideration.

Jerry
It goes even further then that with bmw, car reads driving conditions as you said but then notifies the servicing dealer via OEM emergency communication  system (will automatically send for help if air bags are deployed and send gps location to emergency services). Dealer will then call you to tell you to set up appointment for whatever service car needs.
Alan

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2016, 01:32:35 PM »

Same vehicle(Jeep GC CRD) in Europe and Canada......Europe 30,000 km before oil change....Canada 7500 km.....and this is after the introduction of ULSD .
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2016, 02:25:07 PM »

BMW not the originator of the dealer notification deal, I have been getting monthly emails from GM (On-Star) since at least 04 when I bought an Escalade. It gives u the % of oil life, tire press, abs, stabiltrac, airbag status etc. We also get a email from the dealer when the oil remaining % says to change. U get this info on even the cheapest Sonic now for free for 5 years, We use it on the oil, had a change last year last 9600 miles before reaching 5% as we were on the road constantly due to family deal out of state, but most come due around 5000 or so when we drive only locally. I do not change oil in my cars anymore, dealer will change, use Mobil 1 and rotate the tires for $60.00 and feed me a doughnut and couple cups of Kreuig Coffee.
I change bike engine @ 5K and use Mobil 1, Primary @ 5K using Redline Primary Fluid and trans @ 10K using Redline Trans. I still do the bike myself but I wouldn't if the dealer was not so messy. They did free change @ 1000 when I bought it and it came back with dripping oil from frame rails, bottom of bike. I exploded and wife said no more, you do it yourself. Dealer was probably glad after scene in service check-out area.

Tractor Bubba

• Full CVO Member
  • Life's Short - Eat your dessert first!
    • GA

• CVO1: '19 FLHTK Ultra Limited - Silver Flux/Black Fuse
    • CVO2: '14 FLHRSE Road King - Tribal Orange/Galactic Black
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2016, 11:55:29 PM »

Actually, back in the late 90's, when I was a Product Manager working a new series of off-road machine, we introduced a centrifugal filtration system in the hydraulic & transmission circuit. It was a canister containing a spinner that circulated the oil at a very high rate (rpm) and did an amazing job oil cleaning the oil. It was not revolutionary, but was innovative & unique in the industry & application. It completely replaced the industry-standard cartridge and/or replaceable element filter used by all the other (and us, to). Thousands of hours of dirty, high-temp use - and the oil would still be pristine.

Scuttled in the next generation of product a few years later. The Company and dealers couldn't stomach the loss of filter & lubricant sales!

Also...there was some risk/concern the centrifugal system worked SO good it would/could separate the vital oil additives (such as anti-chatter additives for the wet clutches & brakes).

But, technology DOES exist to get FAR more life from our lubricants.
2019 FLFRTK
2014 FLHRSE6

ferris bueller

• Buy The Ticket Take The Ride
    • IL

• CVO1: 2014 CVO ROAD KING
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2016, 03:56:46 AM »

sorry im bad, i meant 5000 miles.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2016, 12:25:17 PM »

Actually, back in the late 90's, when I was a Product Manager working a new series of off-road machine, we introduced a centrifugal filtration system in the hydraulic & transmission circuit. It was a canister containing a spinner that circulated the oil at a very high rate (rpm) and did an amazing job oil cleaning the oil. It was not revolutionary, but was innovative & unique in the industry & application. It completely replaced the industry-standard cartridge and/or replaceable element filter used by all the other (and us, to). Thousands of hours of dirty, high-temp use - and the oil would still be pristine.

Scuttled in the next generation of product a few years later. The Company and dealers couldn't stomach the loss of filter & lubricant sales!

Also...there was some risk/concern the centrifugal system worked SO good it would/could separate the vital oil additives (such as anti-chatter additives for the wet clutches & brakes).

But, technology DOES exist to get FAR more life from our lubricants.

That is what is known as a "lop"(lube oil purifier) in the marine field. It runs around 1700 rpm has various cone type cylinders that fit inside each other of different grading, "depending on specks" that remove any impurities from the oil and the waste would go into a holding tank . There is also the "Flop" (Fuel oil purifier) dose the same thing. The motors I worked with had a 250 gal sump so there was no oil change schedule

WKC2019

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2016, 06:25:09 PM »

Are you guys changing the fluids based solely on miles, or do you take into account the time? I'm not going to lie, my bikes have always been a pure luxury item, and have never seen 5,000 miles in one year. I have always changed all three fluids in early spring, every year. Is this overkill? Should I just enjoy it and when I hit 5k, do a fluid change?

I have always run Mobil 1, redline MTL, and redline shockproof heavy. I will probably be switching to Belray in the primary and trans based upon some input from this forum.

Thanks

crobson

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MN

• CVO1: 2013 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2o17 cvo streetglide
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2016, 08:38:20 PM »

well us guys in the northland need to change every spring to be safe. you can get a lot of condensation unless you have heated storage thru the winter. have been amazed at how much water has come out of the tranny when changed in the spring. doubt if the warm weather guys need to worry

262 CVO 16

• Full CVO Member
  • MOLON LABE
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 Carbon Crystal
    • CVO2: 2015 Jeep Willys JK on 35s
    • CVO3: 2014 Black Denim SG (Sold)
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2016, 09:39:34 PM »

Okay, I read this forum every day, I have seen the extensive amount of knowledge here - but I just so happened to be talking with the owner of a pretty reputable shop in southern wisconsin today and this topic came up. Here's what he said: "Change the oil every 2500 miles and the filter on every-other." This was followed by my "Of course you want guys to bring their bikes in 2x as often,..."

Thoughts anyone?
2016 CVO Street Glide
Carbon Crystal w/ Phantom Flames
Matching Tourpack
Day Maker Spots
CD LED Blinkers
16" Apes
Yaffe Plate

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2016, 09:50:10 PM »

Okay, I read this forum every day, I have seen the extensive amount of knowledge here - but I just so happened to be talking with the owner of a pretty reputable shop in southern wisconsin today and this topic came up. Here's what he said: "Change the oil every 2500 miles and the filter on every-other." This was followed by my "Of course you want guys to bring their bikes in 2x as often,..."

Thoughts anyone?

To be pentagonally cautious might as well just use 30w nondetergent and have it in the shop every 500 miles.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2016, 02:21:03 PM »

Thoughts anyone?

What I take away from that is that some people's definition of "reputable" must vary quite a bit from mine.  That shop owner must either be in a time warp and still thinks it's 1955, or he is just ignorant.  And btw, I drive by a Duke of Oil quick lube place nearly every day that also says on it's big sign out next to the highway that you should change oil every 3000 miles.  There is absolutely no doubt whatsoever as to the reason for that business owner to have that on his sign.  If you want honest and unbiased information on how often to replace something, it is probably best to not ask the folks who make a living selling that item.  In other words, ask the engineers and scientists, not the retailers.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

262 CVO 16

• Full CVO Member
  • MOLON LABE
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 Carbon Crystal
    • CVO2: 2015 Jeep Willys JK on 35s
    • CVO3: 2014 Black Denim SG (Sold)
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2016, 02:45:29 PM »

I say Reputable in the fact that I've known him for years and have had several business transactions with him as well. It just so happens I am an Engineer who was riding dirt bikes before pedal bikes, and my Father when alive was schooled at BMW, including owning a couple motorcycle  dealerships. This gentleman knows I'm very intelligent in regards to this, it was merely a conversation on his "opinion". I wasn't questioning his skill, as I know he is intelligent as well, but yes, he also has to make a $.
2016 CVO Street Glide
Carbon Crystal w/ Phantom Flames
Matching Tourpack
Day Maker Spots
CD LED Blinkers
16" Apes
Yaffe Plate
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 22 queries.