Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Crank Shafts For Dummies  (Read 9294 times)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Crank Shafts For Dummies
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 08:54:35 AM »

I actually typed a negative review of this podcast yesterday, but decided not to hit the "post" button because I didn't want to offend anyone who thought it was good.  Well, that resolution about trying to be less offensive and negative lasted for an entire day, and I've decided that's enough change for now.  Besides, dj and 2lane already broke the ice. ;)

It doesn't take over 30 minutes to explain that the new style drive side shaft isn't machined on centers and therefore cannot be checked or trued in an old style truing stand.  There, I just said it in a few seconds without wasting a ton of bandwidth.  It would have been nice if the gentleman in the podcast had actually done the video out in the shop with the truing stand and the fixture they rigged up with V-blocks to illustrate the differences.  As they say, a picture is worth a whole bunch of words.

After roughly 36 minutes, assuming anyone made it entirely through the series, did anyone find that they now understand why the new cranks had/have such poor quality in terms of runout?  The description of building the old cranks in a truing stand environment has not been true since the Twin Cam was introduced, so if the pressed together system worked fairly well from 1999 through 2006 why did it go straight to hell in 2007?  That's the kind of information, along with the best method to permanently fix the problem, that would be informative and helpful.  I kept hoping the next part of the podcast would move on to discuss the real issue and the fix, but by part 3 of 4 I pretty much figured out this was going to be like Donny Petersen's article on the 110 in American Iron.  Lots of words, no real substance.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 09:06:55 AM »

I actually typed a negative review of this podcast yesterday, but decided not to hit the "post" button because I didn't want to offend anyone who thought it was good.  Well, that resolution about trying to be less offensive and negative lasted for an entire day, and I've decided that's enough change for now.  Besides, dj and 2lane already broke the ice. ;)

It doesn't take over 30 minutes to explain that the new style drive side shaft isn't machined on centers and therefore cannot be checked or trued in an old style truing stand.  There, I just said it in a few seconds without wasting a ton of bandwidth.  It would have been nice if the gentleman in the podcast had actually done the video out in the shop with the truing stand and the fixture they rigged up with V-blocks to illustrate the differences.  As they say, a picture is worth a whole bunch of words.

After roughly 36 minutes, assuming anyone made it entirely through the series, did anyone find that they now understand why the new cranks had/have such poor quality in terms of runout?  The description of building the old cranks in a truing stand environment has not been true since the Twin Cam was introduced, so if the pressed together system worked fairly well from 1999 through 2006 why did it go straight to hell in 2007?  That's the kind of information, along with the best method to permanently fix the problem, that would be informative and helpful.  I kept hoping the next part of the podcast would move on to discuss the real issue and the fix, but by part 3 of 4 I pretty much figured out this was going to be like Donny Petersen's article on the 110 in American Iron.  Lots of words, no real substance.

Jerry

I'll go along with that! It was OK if you knew pretty much nothing about flywheels at all. But I was looking for the meat as Jerry was, not the potatoes and vegetables! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 09:12:16 AM »

Well said Jerry - spot on.  Unfortunately no 'actionable' info presented.  Guess that's their little secret and why we should send our cranks to them?

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 10:55:40 AM »

Have to admit thinking a script writer could have made that four parter a one part presentation :huepfenlol2: .

DON read the heading for this thread!!!!!!!! Now you know why it took four parts to plain this to the everyday Harley owner!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2009, 01:01:39 PM »

DON read the heading for this thread!!!!!!!! Now you know why it took four parts to plain this to the everyday Harley owner!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Not really Mike.  Wasn't even that it was supposedly a remedial presentation.  It just wasn't very good. 

Assertions that were left open to significant interpretation.  Lots of redundancy.  Quite a bit that was useless to the topic itself and simply didn't need to be there.  You don't judge the oral presentation itself because the guy isn't professing to be a paid speaker but is a machinist talking to folks.  That being so, however, there were things he suggested as fact that left me scratching my head a little.  And I'm just a layman.  Jerry or DJ probably caught a little irritable bowel syndrome from the effort.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2009, 01:03:03 PM »

Not really Mike.  Wasn't even that it was supposedly a remedial presentation.  It just wasn't very good. 

Assertions that were left open to significant interpretation.  Lots of redundancy.  Quite a bit that was useless to the topic itself and simply didn't need to be there.  You don't judge the oral presentation itself because the guy isn't professing to be a paid speaker but is a machinist talking to folks.  That being so, however, there were things he suggested as fact that left me scratching my head a little.  And I'm just a layman.  Jerry or DJ probably caught a little irritable bowel syndrome from the effort.

And lots, and lots, and lots!!! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2009, 01:07:13 PM »

After roughly 36 minutes, assuming anyone made it entirely through the series, did anyone find that they now understand why the new cranks had/have such poor quality in terms of runout?  The description of building the old cranks in a truing stand environment has not been true since the Twin Cam was introduced, so if the pressed together system worked fairly well from 1999 through 2006 why did it go straight to hell in 2007?   That's the kind of information, along with the best method to permanently fix the problem, that would be informative and helpful.  I kept hoping the next part of the podcast would move on to discuss the real issue and the fix, but by part 3 of 4 I pretty much figured out this was going to be like Donny Petersen's article on the 110 in American Iron.  Lots of words, no real substance.

Jerry

My money is on the changes to the ‘07 powertrain as the root source of the crankshaft issues beginning in ‘07.  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=30766.msg503390#msg503390.

Manufacturing issues with the ’07 crankshaft would be an easier answer, but H-D’s efforts to reduce crankshaft shock load, together with improved reliability are a strong indication of an overload condition rather than a manufacturing issue. JMHO.

Speaking of reduced load, has anyone seen the accessory comp sprocket? This thing is robust! I’m thinking that together with installing one on my machine, I’m going to pick up another one, put a chain through the center and wear it around my neck. Hopefully this will reduce my stress load. :) I thought about Prozac, but I’m not ready for the heavyweight stuff, and they don’t make amateurzac so this seems like a reasonable compromise.

djkak

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »

My money is on the changes to the ‘07 powertrain as the root source of the crankshaft issues beginning in ‘07.  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=30766.msg503390#msg503390.

Manufacturing issues with the ’07 crankshaft would be an easier answer, but H-D’s efforts to reduce crankshaft shock load, together with improved reliability are a strong indication of an overload condition rather than a manufacturing issue. JMHO.

Speaking of reduced load, has anyone seen the accessory comp sprocket? This thing is robust! I’m thinking that together with installing one on my machine, I’m going to pick up another one, put a chain through the center and wear it around my neck. Hopefully this will reduce my stress load. :) I thought about Prozac, but I’m not ready for the heavyweight stuff, and they don’t make amateurzac so this seems like a reasonable compromise.

djkak

I got one for my bike, but never really considered another for jewelry though! Like a Biker Rapper's Big Ole Gold Chain replacement? :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: ;D ;D ;D

Healthy and Happy New Year to ya dj!!! :drink: :drink: :drink: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2009, 01:12:29 PM »

I got one for my bike, but never really considered another for jewelry though! Like a Biker Rapper's Big Ole Gold Chain replacement? :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: ;D ;D ;D

Healthy and Happy New Year to ya dj!!! :drink: :drink: :drink: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
Sounds like a Photoshop opportunity. :sneaky: :evilgrin:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2009, 03:07:40 PM »

Hoist! 8)

Thanks, Hoist; same to you and the rest of the gang here.

It turns out that my new Bling goes together very well with a splash of Oil of Har-lay. You might want to try it next time you go into the city for a night out. :)

djkak

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2009, 03:09:05 PM »

Thanks, Hoist; same to you and the rest of the gang here.

It turns out that my new Bling goes together very well with a splash of Oil of Har-lay. You might want to try it next time you go into the city for a night out. :)

djkak

HeHe!!! I'm allergic to TOILET Water!!! I prefer the REAL thing! ;D ;)

Hoist! 8)

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 03:12:44 PM »

At first I thought it was the jalapeños. :) After finishing part four I was a little stunned to see that they didn’t throw us a bone, much less a few crumbs. The podcast revealed more about their operation than it did about the press together crankshaft; a tactical error IMHO.

djkak

AZSSE

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2009, 03:46:44 PM »

Thanks, I  got a lot out of this. Send more!!

skyhook

• Senior CVO Member
  • ride 'em don't hide 'em

• CVO1: '08 fxdse2
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2009, 05:10:23 PM »

thanks for posting that...rev perfromance is a great outfit, other than their nikasil cylinders...another option is the folks I bought my heads from...r&r cycle in manchester, nh...they have 5-piece twin cam cranks up to 4.75 stroke...can you imagine the torque with that long-arm?
08 fxdse2, r&r heads, 257 cam, hpi 55mm t/body, supermeg

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2009, 05:12:09 PM »

thanks for posting that...rev perfromance is a great outfit, other than their nikasil cylinders...another option is the folks I bought my heads from...r&r cycle in manchester, nh...they have 5-piece twin cam cranks up to 4.75 stroke...can you imagine the torque with that long-arm?

HeHe!!! And imagine how much chit I can break with a leg that big with these bores?!!! :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

Almost as much chit as with a 5" S&S leg in an Evo!!! ;D ;D ;D

Hoist! 8)

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 20 queries.