Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Author Topic: Rocky Mountain High, June 2015  (Read 24113 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Rocky Mountain High, June 2015
« on: June 15, 2015, 07:47:03 PM »

For me it all begin about 2:00 a.m. on Fri morning, June 12.  Packed the bike and the Bushtec, left Coronado, Ca. headed for Ouray, Colorado.

Just as the sun started to rise...and just a few miles before the Ariz. state line and Yuma I took my first shot at about 80 mph....

[/url]

and I arrived in Yuma......already hot!

At a roadside rest and my first sight of a seguro cactus on this trip......

My next stop was Buddy Stubbs Harley Davidson in Phoenix, Ariz.  Already 103F at 9:30 a.m. and I was both tired and damn hot.  Speakin of damn hot.....Buddy Stubbs is where I met this beautiful little creature working behind the clothing counter, Chandra.  Chandra shared with me that she's in to fast cars and hot men.....(that leaves me out).  Or was it hot cars and fast men (I'm all in!  :P )

I spent the night in Heber-Overgaard, Ariz.

Up and on the road by 6:00 a.m. the next morning.....I will be in Ouray, Co before the night fall.

Thank God for that radar detecto.....of course I slowed and let the po po go on by....

I finally hit the New Mexico state line......gonna stop in Gallup, NM for breakfast

Rut-rohhhh......this is where the nightmare begin.  I've headed north out of Gallup after eating and filling up.  A long, lonely stretch headed towards Shiprock, NM.  A two lane road for a long way but eventually it turns in to two lanes in each direction with room to pull over and stop without getting run over. 

I'm going to take off my Gerbing heated jacket and put my Screamin Eagle jacket on.  As you can see in the pic, I took everything out of the Gerbing jacket.....wallet with credit card, drivers license and social security card (I know, I know), my bike keys, reading glasses and gloves.  Once I got the jacket off I grabbed my golves and the jacket and walked to the back of the trailer and them in the trailer and grabbed my SE jacket and put it on.  For some reason I walked up the street side of the bike, reached over and grabbed my camera to take these two pics, put my helmet on, got on the bike and rode off........my wallet, bike keys and glasses still laying on the ice chest of my Bushtec.  68 miles later I stopped in Shiprock at a gas station and that's when I realized I'd lost my wallet (still didn't know about my keys).

I got my fat wallet out of my tour pack that the rest of my credit cards were in, filled the tank and headed 68 miles back!  No success......didn't find any sign of anything.....not even a broken pair of glasses.  I sure hope a big truck came along and blew everything into the bushes and it'll all be there ten years from now.

My next stop another 25 miles down the road I took off my Gerbing heated pants......stilll not realizing that I'd lost my wallet, keys and glasses.  Just so thankful I had a full set of keys (including trailer and hitch lock) in my saddle bag!

I stopped on the side of the road three times to empty the trailer, my tour pack and my saddle bags to find the second set of keys but no luck.  Right now all I cared about is that the bike would still start.

As I rode out of Farmington, NM towards Durango it started rainging in buckets.....soon it turned to hail.  Withing seconds it was marble size hail.  OK, this was another "first" for me.....I'd never even seen hail that big before......marbles bouncing all over the damn highway. 

Back down to two lanes, I slowed to about 20 mph and turned on my flashers and kept moving.  It quit and cleared up about as quick as it came and just before my arrival at Durango HD.  Went in and introduced myself to the GM, Jeff.  I'd been corresponding with him for a couple months about a CVO Ride In Bike Show and welcome (finger foods, refreshments, etc.).  He took me back to show me the winner and runner up trophies that he had one of his guys make for us........

Out of there.  More black clouds headed this way.....I'm hell bent for Ouray.  Sure didn't want to get caught on the Million Dollar Hwy. in the kind of storm I'd just rode through.....especially pulling a trailer.  All those steep grades, switch back after switch back, after switch back on steep grade.  I wasn't so lucky! :o

Had to put the camera away....it came down in buckets, again.....and that damn hail!  :o

« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 07:09:08 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Re: Rocky Mountain High, June 2015
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 07:48:11 PM »

I arrived a day earlier than I'd planned....arrived on Sat.

Here is our home base for the week...the Switzerland of America, Ouray, Colorado.

and headed south on the Million Dollar Hwy. to Durango....

There are lots of these signs along this route....

« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 08:19:42 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 07:55:07 PM »

Wow! Simply outstanding JC!  :2vrolijk_21:

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 12:27:02 AM »

Great Pics JC (especially Shandra..), looking forward to more!
Alan

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 06:06:25 AM »

Very Nice !!!
DND

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 06:35:37 AM »

Great Pics JC (especially Shandra..), looking forward to more!

:2vrolijk_21:

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 08:43:41 AM »

Great pics JCZ!!! I really wish I would have made the trip!!!! It just didn't work out. Have fun Be Safe and keep the pics coming!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

ultrarider123

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 08:59:13 AM »

Beautiful country you are showing us, JC (and Jock in another thread).  Man that sucks on losing your wallet/keys/gloves.  You weren't distracted by the after glow of meeting Shandra, were ya... ::)
Keep those pictures a'coming sir.  For those of us that couldn't make it, it's nice to see the countryside and the friends that did get to the GTG.
Hey, did you EVER find your second set of keys? 

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 09:00:18 AM »

Jock had to give me a jump start again yesterday on my flickr account but we're rollin now.  Thanks a bunch Jock!

Continuing on down the Million Dollar Hwy.........a deer off in the meadow.  You have to remember, I'm trying to shoot these pics on the fly while navigating this narrow highway with drop offs straight down and mountains straight up.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 09:01:08 AM »

Rocky mountain high.....11,018 feet elevation!

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 09:01:56 AM »

motorcycle paradise!

We spent the day in Silverton, yesterday.  Many more pics of this little town to follow......

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 09:02:39 AM »

It was awfully nice of them to paint Durango Harley Davidson to match my bike.....

Back at the lodge.....other members are starting to roll in.....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 09:03:26 AM »

Look it there.....at Judy's bike shine!  I believe she just may well be the competition for everybody at the ride in bike show.  I heard she holds the braggin rights at Maggie Valley  :P   I see Jock eyeballing her bike...

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2015, 09:03:53 AM »

dinner's only a couple of blocks, let's just hoof it......

The main street of Ouray......

dinner, upstairs on the balcony?  Hell yeaaaaaaaaa!

CVO headquarters for dinner this night.....

My Babe......

Duck hunters?

High altitude.  Many CVO owners were lookin for this ride..... :P

Another great day in the San Juan mountains.  A very relaxing event in an awsome location.  Different ride options for each day, small packs that move in these mountains much easier, eat where you want instead of trying to pile 50 people into one place......just a very relaxing GTG.  Cudos to Mark and James for an outstanding job.  :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2015, 10:44:39 AM »

Yesterday Steve & Cammy (Fullsac), Andy, Danny, Babe and I rode down the Million Dollar Hwy. to the little mining town of Silverton for an easy day, easy but yet beautiful ride....

Started with our morning group pre-ride meeting at the end of the parking lot....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 10:45:31 AM »

Here's the stiff competition for the ride in bike show.....Judy.  :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 10:46:12 AM »

Babe, Cammy, Steve and Andy

The water flows from the top, down this creek....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2015, 10:46:36 AM »

The right side of this pic shows where the creek drops off the cliff....the left side shows where it lands far, far below  (tryin to bring it to you as though you were there!)

looking down over the side from the top of the bridge.....the waterfall is under the bridge

rollin on down the highway.....

West Coast GTG   

ultrarider123

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 11:03:30 AM »

Great pics....except Greg without his shirt.... :huepfenlol2:  Did the boy just forget to bring clothes?   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 12:34:11 PM »

OK, it's raining out there so time to post some more.

We arrive in Silverton.....

For a small town it sure is colorful.....in more ways than one

They even named their little park after Ironhorse Mark.....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2015, 12:34:58 PM »

There are a couple in this group that qualify.....

Where you can have lunch and live piano music with Lacey...

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2015, 12:35:55 PM »

Did I say a colorful community.....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2015, 12:36:33 PM »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2015, 12:36:55 PM »

Cammy, the office end of Fullsac Performance....

Time to roll back north to the lodge........

a water shed.....where the melted snow runs down over the roof of the shed rather than across the highway....

NOTE:  This highway is straight down, no shoulders and no guard rails!  :o

and another great day on the Million Dollar Hwy.

West Coast GTG   

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2015, 01:04:12 PM »

I hear Judy wakes up in the middle of the Night and Cleans Her Bike.

:bananarock: :bananarock:

Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

dooinit2u

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2015 SESG UltraViolet Blue / Hot Lava ***SOLD***
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2015, 05:18:43 PM »

Brad

Now that I wouldn't doubt.

Great Job JCZ. Good pics... :2vrolijk_21:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2015, 11:57:11 PM »

Took a few pics this morning early....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2015, 11:58:13 PM »

JC, Babe and Fullsac Steve....

The only person in the whole group that actually spent time in the gym working out......Renee

It started raining just after our morning pre-ride meeting.  Rained for about half an hour or so then cleared up for the rest of the day.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2015, 11:59:10 PM »

Panhead Jimmy, Babe and I decided to ride on over to Telluride....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2015, 12:00:25 AM »

A large heard of elk grazin in the grass just outside of Telluride....

Our next stop is a gondola ride to the top of the mountain.  Come on along and join us....

We've arrived at the top of the mountain.....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2015, 12:03:57 AM »

A view of Telluride from the top.....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2015, 12:10:28 AM »

A view down the backside, the bike park and the mountain top village....

Telluride even has a yellow daisy of a different kind growing on the wall

Just one more great day in the San Juan Mountains.  But it didn't end when we returned to the lodge.  I picked up my rented jeep (tomorrow we're all going four wheeling up on the Alpine Loop) and my brother and I up to Yankee Boy Basin to play a bit.

West Coast GTG   

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2015, 12:41:42 AM »

Here's the stiff competition for the ride in bike show.....Judy.  :2vrolijk_21:

No problem JC.  I've got this one in the bag!   :P
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2015, 12:53:39 AM »

Brad

Wrong Brad!  I spend all night making sure everyone else's is dirty!   :2vrolijk_21:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Cyclegirl

• Loven Life on the Road
  • Full CVO Member
    • NM

• CVO1: 2015 Road Glide Special
    • Cycle adventures
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2015, 01:08:34 AM »

Great pictures JC
- Renay

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2015, 03:19:41 AM »

So we're off to go 4x4 in rented jeeps. 

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2015, 03:21:23 AM »

a marmot peeking out at us......

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2015, 03:22:51 AM »

Famous last words......"don't worry, I'm not going to fall in"

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2015, 03:23:58 AM »

The view from inside the jeep on the trail......

It's straight down baby!

West Coast GTG   

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2015, 07:03:06 AM »

Famous last words......"don't worry, I'm not going to fall in"

Don't forget it's the first step that can get ya!   ;)   :D

Keep on rockin'!

ultrarider123

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2015, 08:02:21 AM »

My goodness, that is some glorious countryside!  It's been a blast "being" there with y'all even if it's through electrons not in person.  Between the pics you post, JC, and those by Jock....all I can say is wow.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2015, 08:10:04 AM »

Thanks a bunch Haird!  :2vrolijk_21:

We're headed up over the top today......the Alpine Loop.     https://www.google.com/search?q=alpine+loop&biw=1280&bih=717&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0CDUQsARqFQoTCP-mldHYlsYCFYM9rAodbFUA0A#tbm=isch&q=alpine+loop+jeep

We'll probably be coming back with a few pics of our own.  :P

West Coast GTG   

PinkE

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2015, 09:15:29 AM »

JCZ  just Breathtaking photo's...WOW
MY Broom is an `04 FLHTCUI Lehman Trike and I Love flyin on it!!!

ultra98

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2015, 12:55:59 PM »

Fantastic all the scenery awsome and shandra  :-* thanks for sharing i hope i will drive on those rodes some day

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2015, 02:38:48 AM »

Off to the Alpine Loop early this morning......

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2015, 02:39:39 AM »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2015, 02:40:33 AM »

Hard to say who is in most of them due to multiple jeeps being the same colors.  However, we know the white one is Fullsac Steve & Cammy...

and the trail we'd just came up.....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2015, 02:40:57 AM »

Oh man, I'd recognize my jeep anywhere!  :P

We forded more than a few creeks....

West Coast GTG   

PinkE

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2015, 07:46:26 AM »

Another awesome day in the mountains, great shots, Thanks for sharing...
MY Broom is an `04 FLHTCUI Lehman Trike and I Love flyin on it!!!

woodman

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2015, 08:39:02 AM »

Great pics.Looks like fun!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2015, 09:05:55 AM »

I apologize for the dirty front windshield but there was just no keeping it clean fording through all the creeks and snow run off.

We seen quite a number of critters.....a deer dead center on this pic

Our gracious host and his wife, leader and a wealth of information and knowledge on the history of the area, San Juan Ron leading in the RzR.....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2015, 09:06:29 AM »

Many, many old mines dot the landscape back in here....

Still a lot of snow up at 12,000-14,000 feet.

Here comes Steve & Cammy.....in stealth mode.  :P

And Greg.....his first time ever for 4x4ing.  He and those in his jeep provided a lot of laughs for those of us in my jeep.  He just has to work on that angle of ascent a bit.  :huepfenlol2:   Truth be known he and the others that were their first time or haven't went off road very often did a remarkable job considering the terrain....impressive.  :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2015, 12:21:27 PM »

The road from which we came.....

12,950 feet elevation here......

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2015, 12:22:12 PM »

Here we all gathered up on top of Oh Point....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2015, 12:22:55 PM »

CVO 4x4 Club playin in the snow...

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2015, 12:23:18 PM »

The infamous Panhead Jimmy....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2015, 12:54:59 AM »

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2015, 12:56:08 AM »

A few big horned sheep passed by....

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2015, 12:56:56 AM »

We've finally arrived at San Juan Ron's & Kathy's cabin.  As I'm backing in around back to park (a hell of a lot of jeeps to fit in here) I see a small heard of deer behind us and they don't seem to be in to big a hurry to leave.  I believe we're intruding in their nesting area.....

a moose......a moose!

And this is the gentleman that made the signs that I gave to all those that drove the jeeps...

West Coast GTG   

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2015, 01:04:07 AM »

Looks absolutely incredible, I am so jealous! Looks like you guys are having an amazing time! Keep the pics rolling for us poor slobs that are living vicariously thru you guys..
Alan

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2015, 01:09:49 AM »

Here's the reward......

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2015, 07:51:54 AM »

Myself, my brother, Judy and Renee left Ron & Kathy's to go on into Lake City to pick up the license plate tags above, so we were far behind everybody else and raced to catch up.

We came up on a three way intersection in Animous Forks (a deserted ghost town high up in the mountains) and we found the most confusing thing......people from our group coming to the intersection from three different directions.  What the hell happened while we were gone?   :huepfenlol2:

West Coast GTG   

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2015, 06:14:38 PM »

JC thanks for the pics, I'm really sorry I couldn't make it work. I was just out there 2 years ago on a ride and ended up in the emergency room in Silverton. I have 2 pictures I took out there that are exactly the same as 2 you took. It really is beautiful country out there.

BigLew

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2015, 08:41:49 PM »

Emergency room in Silverton?  You really found a clinic in that town? :huepfenlol2:  Playing to hard huh Mike?  That's the only time I get hurt......when I'm playin.  It's the little hell raising kid in me.  :P

OK, so bringing it all back to you.....one photo at a time. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2015, 08:51:08 PM »

So, who won the Ride In Bike show?

Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2015, 09:21:37 PM »

We left Ouray about 7:30 a.m. this morning and rode straight to the Durango/LaPlate County Airport where I dropped Babe.  And I then rode straight to Mesa, Ariz. stopping only for gas and restroom.....drinking Gatoraide or green tea on the fly.

I rode 548 miles and it was 113F when I arrived so I went straight to the pool (it felt like it was heated) then the hot tub and then back to the pool.  Forcasted to be 114F tomorrow so I'll be out early. 

Just want to say thank God for the Fullsac ceramic coated head pipe!  First time it ever got hot under my right leg since I went with Fullsac but still nothing compared to how hot it used to get.  And I was pulling a loaded trailer at 85 mph in triple digit temps for hours......and it was still bearable!

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2015, 10:19:13 PM »

MikeyTee wants to know about the bike show.

We left Ouray yesterday and headed for Durango.  Stopped briefly by Silverton again......just in time to see the Durango Silverton Railroad train pull in.  It looked like there were a couple hundred people on that train.....and they just kept piling off that train. 

[img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/294/18925668306_8586dc3613_c.jpg[/img

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2015, 10:20:02 PM »

Babe and I rode on in to Durango.  Along the way there's a hot mineral spring on the side of the road....we stopped for the kodak moment.  The little mound behind my bike/trailer is made from the minerals in the water piling up from years and years and years of this spring.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2015, 10:24:16 PM »

And now for the bike show......

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2015, 10:25:03 PM »

and the CVO krew.  Durango Harley Davidson and Jeff, the GM was kind enough to step up and provided not only two very unique trophies but also cheese & cracker platters, ice water and iced lemonade.  It was right on time since it was hot in Durango by the time we all got there.  A nice venue for the bike show and our gratitude to Jeff and Durango HD for all they did for the CVO owners.  :2vrolijk_21:

Our very own CVOHarley photographer extrodanaire.......Jock!

Jock and Blair discussing which way they think the votes are going for the bike show...

How many CVO owners does it take to put a set of highway pegs on?

Drum roll please..................

1st place is West Coast Russ on his Tequila SEEG

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2015, 10:26:00 PM »

2nd place was yours truely.  However, since I was the one that negotiated with the GM at Durango HD to sponsor this bike show, I passed it to the person with the 3rd highest count.  Coincidentally, it is my road dog, Andy on his Metal Dragon bike!

In short.....the bike show was a Nor Cal clean sweep!  :2vrolijk_21:

body enjoyed the bike show.  It was fun and congratulations to Russ and Andy.....glad you guys won!  :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2015, 10:28:09 PM »

Hey, there's that CVO photographer guy, Jock......

I hope everybody enjoyed the bike show.  Congratulations to Russ and Andy!  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 10:29:49 PM by JCZ »

West Coast GTG   

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2015, 10:29:36 PM »

JC,

Sorry I missed the GTG this year, I won't miss the next one for sure. 114 now that's hot, here in Alabama when KT gets around 105 the humidity is a killer.

What king of mileage you getting at those speeds? 

Ride safe and stay hydrated.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2015, 10:31:00 PM »

Mileage?  ???

West Coast GTG   

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2015, 10:44:16 PM »

Mileage?  ???

That's what I thought mine really sucks with the trailer at those speeds but I can cover a lot of ground in a short time.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2015, 11:08:02 PM »

So, who won the Ride In Bike show?

Mike

Now I understand. The bike show was for those that rode their bike in.
It all makes sense now.
You have to ride your bike in!

:nervous: :nervous: :nervous: :nervous:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2015, 11:15:35 PM »

Looks like another successful GTG. I sure wish life hadn't gotten in the way of living and I could have been there with y'all. Who knows, maybe next year! Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable trip home.
Mike
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2015, 11:18:59 PM »

Your funny Chip.  I don't believe there was but one, maybe two bikes that were trailered to the GTG.  Most are ridden.

But your point was funny.....and I know what you mean. 

Chains, I've never checked the milage vs. the gallons pulling the trailer.  To many variables for me to even mess with that....for instance.  Does the trailer have 75 lbs. in it or does it have 300 lbs. in the trailer and another 50 lbs. in the ice chest.....then, what was the average speed for that test? etc. etc. etc.

But I can tell you that today I'm guessing maybe a 150-200 lbs. of stuff (loaded) and a full ice chest of gatorade, Pepsi, water and ice and I was doing 170-185 miles between fill ups on each tank.  A couple of times it got down to where the light was blinking at me (I think that's under 10 miles left).  But then there was another time when I got down to 0 miles left and still went for another 5 miles or so before I got to a station.....that was just the bike and me solo. :nixweiss:

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2015, 12:13:34 AM »

Be sure to vote in this poll for next year...  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=102668.0

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2015, 07:16:34 PM »

Finally made it home.  Two days in triple digit temps and I got heat sick again.  Yesterday was about half the day of riding in triple digits and I was just feeling kind of sluggish by the time I reached the hotel.  But today, all day long in the triple digits and I just do not feel good.

A person can only do so much water, gatorade, green tea, etc.  And a person my age can only tolerate triple digit temps so long before there's a price to pay and it becomes dangerous.

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2015, 10:24:37 AM »

From 113F yesterday across that desert to 71F and 82% humidity here in Coronado today.  It's great to be home!  :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #81 on: June 22, 2015, 09:13:14 AM »

JC thannks for the story and the Pics.

BigLew

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #82 on: June 22, 2015, 10:24:13 PM »

Again, great pics. You really capture the moment. 

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2015, 12:02:06 AM »

Awesome Job JC!

SG
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2015, 12:50:38 PM »

Great job, JC!  Thanks for taking the time to share.    :2vrolijk_21:   :2vrolijk_21:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2015, 07:36:23 PM »

Thanks JC!
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2015, 10:19:47 PM »

And yet another excellent ride report JC! 

Thank for taking the time and effort!

:2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Page created in 0.38 seconds with 25 queries.