Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heavy breather issue  (Read 1472 times)

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
Heavy breather issue
« on: April 05, 2009, 09:51:10 AM »

Hi all,  I had installed a Roland Sands heavy breather on my 09 SERG.  Went for a ride the other day and opened her up quite a bit.  When I got home I noticed that there was a lot of oil spray below the breather at the base of the engine with some oil drips too.  I also saw that there was oil on the front of the saddle bag on the same side.  There was no oil on the floor the next day.  Called the dealer who said that this is normal.  Is that true?  Thanks. 

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
Re: Heavy breather issue
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 11:44:42 AM »

The 09 SERG had a breather bolt design a bit diff than earlier models. I don't know about the breather you installed. However; that crankcase has to breathe thru those bolts that mount the backplate onto TB.

I had similar issues. This might not have anything to do with yours, but when I got the correct breather bolts installed the world was good again.

In my case the crankcase pressured up and raised the pushrod covers enough to spray oil out of the base of the pushrod covers, made one hell of a mess.

With the bike running, CAREFULLY unscrew the oil dipstick.... if there is a significant pressure release something is wrong.... I would check the breather bolts and their install...

I am not a mechanic, but this is the path that I followed. Hope it helps....
The impossible just takes a little longer

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 01:26:38 PM »

Hi all,  I had installed a Roland Sands heavy breather on my 09 SERG.  Went for a ride the other day and opened her up quite a bit.  When I got home I noticed that there was a lot of oil spray below the breather at the base of the engine with some oil drips too.  I also saw that there was oil on the front of the saddle bag on the same side.  There was no oil on the floor the next day.  Called the dealer who said that this is normal.  Is that true?  Thanks. 

It would be news if a dealership ever said anything wasn't normal.  To answer your question, no it is not true.  The oil should remain on the inside of a modern engine, even a Harley.

The post above this one is very likely to be the answer to your problem.  I know Iglide posted details about the difference in the breather bolts some time ago, you need to look at that thread and see if perhaps you have the same problem.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 01:29:21 PM »

:zroflmao: :zroflmao: :zroflmao: :zroflmao: :zroflmao: :zroflmao: :zroflmao: :zroflmao: :zroflmao: :zroflmao:

(It's not normal...If you did not have this oil prior to installing the Roland Sands heavy breather - then something about this addition to your ride has caused excessive crankcase pressure.  Your motor is not venting properly.)
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you're happy and you know it, Punch the Clown!!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 12:06:36 AM »

I second Iglide response.  Here's a link with the bolts partt #
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=28915.0
Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 08:38:43 PM »

Thanks guys.  I called RSD today and they are aware of the issue.  It is in fact the breather bolts that come with their breather.  They said to call back in a month. 

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you're happy and you know it, Punch the Clown!!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 01:56:27 AM »

Thanks guys.  I called RSD today and they are aware of the issue.  It is in fact the breather bolts that come with their breather.  They said to call back in a month. 

A MONTH! for what  go to the dealer and order 2 of the bolts 29465-08 and put the in.  Done deal.  Or have the one that installed it to put them in.  Unless they are going to clean your bike after every ride.  Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 07:16:46 AM »

so, I assumed that the Roland Sands came with their own breather bolts.  Is that not so?  I didint realize that I could use the HD bolts with the RSD.  I thought only with the HD heavy breather.  I will give this a try.  RSD had said that they were modifying the backer plate to redirect the oil back into the throttle body.  Did I mention that I have no clue as to what I am saying , just repeating what I heard so I appreciate all the input here.

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 08:19:41 AM »

Not sure if they will work.... the engine has to breather thru those backer plate mounting bolts. Look at them carefully and the way they fit into the backer plate. The bolts will have an air passage drilled though them in some manner. The air will have to pass from the engine (plate mounting holes) through those bolts and continue via a passage in the backer plate and relieve at the throttle body front opening.

I had to get longer "breather bolts" for my heavy breather. Be careful if you try the original bolts, they are likely hardened steel and if they are too short and don't engage enough thread you could strip the female softer metal.

Look at it carefully and you will see how it works. You will just have to figure out what you need.

It may indeed require a new backer plate design. I believe ol Roland owes you a refund, just my 2 cents.....
The impossible just takes a little longer

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 08:22:45 AM »

tir,

I don't know personally if the Roland Sands part comes with it's own breather bolts or if the H-D parts would solve your problem.  For all I know maybe in their haste to throw a product on the market they forgot to drill passages in the plate to vent the engine properly.  What I do know is that you don't want to be riding around with an unvented engine.  If they cannot get you a fix immediately, have them remove the POS and put the stock air cleaner back on.  Telling you to wait a month for them to get their act together is totally unacceptable (they must have some ex-Harley folks in their management ranks, since that sounds like a Harley type of answer).

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 08:31:31 AM »

yep, its a valid point.  I am going to call them today and give them some serious feedback

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 22 queries.