Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: no mess filter change  (Read 837 times)

bearingman

• CVO1: Silver FLTRSE3
no mess filter change
« on: August 01, 2009, 12:27:22 AM »

After reading how messy it gets changing the oil filter, I wanted to find a way to keep it clean on my first oil change.
I cut a two liter bottle just about in half, leaving the opening intact.  More than half of the bottom had to be removed to
clear the filter housing.  I punched a hole in the bottom of the filter and let it drain down the bottle and out into a bucket
under the floorboard.  It worked perfectly, with not a drop spilled.  Figured I share this since it was so easy.
The picture shows the bottle after the filter was removed, so you can see the whole thing.  I was able to get a strap wrench
on the filter with the bottle in place, to catch the excess drippage after the oil drained from the punched hole.
Some days you're the windshield; some days you're the bug.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Re: no mess filter change
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 07:36:09 AM »

I made a tray out of a piece of metal. It works great . No mess.
Bill

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 06:38:18 PM »

After reading how messy it gets changing the oil filter, I wanted to find a way to keep it clean on my first oil change.
I cut a two liter bottle just about in half, leaving the opening intact.  More than half of the bottom had to be removed to
clear the filter housing.  I punched a hole in the bottom of the filter and let it drain down the bottle and out into a bucket
under the floorboard.  It worked perfectly, with not a drop spilled.  Figured I share this since it was so easy.
The picture shows the bottle after the filter was removed, so you can see the whole thing.  I was able to get a strap wrench
on the filter with the bottle in place, to catch the excess drippage after the oil drained from the punched hole.

Great, and cheap, idea. I Like It!

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 07:16:32 PM »

Great, and cheap, idea. I Like It!
:2vrolijk_21:   Aluminum foil here.

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.