Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Downshift Issue  (Read 1085 times)

jwalker793

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
Downshift Issue
« on: May 23, 2017, 09:10:43 PM »

Having an issue downshifting. Won't "catch" unless I am slightly on the throttle. Any thoughts on what's the issue and any solution. Thanks.
124 137HP/147TQ

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: Downshift Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 03:12:44 PM »

Not sure what you mean by "catch."  Do you mean the shift lever won't let you downshift another gear?
If you want peace, prepare for war.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 04:15:30 PM »

:nixweiss:
I have had similar issues with more than one of my Harleys.  Slowing up for a stop light and cannot downshift into low.  Hung up in second or third gear.  You could beat on the lever with a hammer and get no where.  The only way out of the problem for me at the time,  was to rev up and slip the clutch from a dead stop and chug across the intersection and then the damn thing would operate OK.  Happened to me 5 or 6 times over the years. :confused5:

Now it has also happened to me on "up" shifts............but that was my fault.  I bang down on the heel shift lever to upshift and occassionally did not raise my heel up far enough for the lever to "ratchet".......thus no shift on the next try.

Not at all sure that the down shift problem is created in the same manner. :-\

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 05:19:12 PM »

Not sure what you mean by catch but sometimes I would have a problem that showed up if I didn't down shift while slowing down. When I did this and got to where I was about ready to stop I could hit the shifter but it would not shift down. I found all I had to do was release the clutch a little to let it catch and she would go ahead and down shift after that. I found that if I simply downshifted as I was slowing (I don't have to engage the clutch but simply downshift) I never have that problem. 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 05:59:25 PM »

The first thing to check is the hydraulic clutch.  Air in the system can cause drag which will affect shifting.  If you haven't changed the fluid and completely bled the system yet, that would be my first suggestion.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 22 queries.