Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Regular or super gasoline?  (Read 3215 times)

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
Re: Regular or super gasoline?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2020, 01:17:42 PM »

easy on the ethanol game ... some people make a living brewing that  stuff   :nixweiss:,  but will say its made me lots of money  over the  years repairing cars and with this maintenance thing i have going now.
Ask any small engine shop and they will tell you... ethanol has been a boon to our business.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2020, 03:35:25 PM »

My family grows corn.  Ethanol has been a bonanza.  When looking at a bigger picture it was not the best way to go as a nation to produce ethanol.  Brazil used sugarcane & my understanding is that was a better method.

Just read that Brazil is switching back to sugar from sugarcane & away from ethanol because gas is so cheap it is not as economically viable.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2020, 09:36:23 AM »

Jerry, yep there it is, page 27, one-liner: "Fuel requirement - Premium unleaded".
Thank you. I looked and looked but couldn't find it. Much appreciated.
Page 27 of the 2012 FLHXSE3 manual: "Pump Octane (R+M)/2.             91 (95 RON)

I've been running 93 no ethanol from Chevron....might try a tank or two of 91 no ethanol ( I think Chevron up here in BC has it)
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

scotman623

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2020, 11:18:52 AM »

We have 5-6 local stations that have 91 non ethanol.. I use it in my bikes and all small motor equipment.. Mowers, chainsaws.. ETC... when out of town riding I get the highest premium grade available for the bike..

Pan1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2020, 09:32:33 PM »

As far as performance vs octane- VP racing gas has some great information on their web site. The bottom line one shoe does not fit all. You want the fuel to give up its energy at the most advantage point in the piston stroke. Often time high octane can burn longer and actually cause an engine to run hotter as the fuel energy is not optimized. Years ago, I believe it was HOT ROD magazine performed dyno pulls on basically stock, low compression v-8 and the lower octane 87 made more hp than 93 octane or even racing gas. It is important to note that there must be a high enough octane rating to prevent pre- detonation or pre-ignition ( both can be referred to as spark nock). I agree modern electronic systems can somewhat adjust for various fuels but the best scenario is when the physics are optimized.

Stewie_FL

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2020, 07:19:12 AM »

I have run both 91 and 93 in my 2017 SGS with the 107. On 91 the bike seemed to be a little peppier but seemed to run a bit hotter. WAWA down here is the only one I have found that has both 91 and 93. They also sell 89 non ethanol. I was involved in the WAWA data breech and had to change all my credit cards so I stopped going there. I don't think WAWA is top tier either.
2020 CVO Ultra Limited
2011 Heritage Softail Classic

Past

1975 Suzuki TS125
1978 Honda CB750K
1991 Kawasaki ZX6
1992 Suzuki GSXR1100
1995 Honda Goldwing Anniversary Edition
1999 Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa
2000 Yamaha Road Star 1600
2017 Street Glide Special

J.D.

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2020, 08:59:34 AM »

If you run really high octane "racing gas" you need to tune to it to take advantage of the added octane.  When we were kids we could buy 100 octane at a local station.  We'd advance the timing on the old mechanical distributors (just before detonation) to take advantage and make extra power.  I don't think you'd see any benefit otherwise.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2020, 09:45:54 AM »

If you run really high octane "racing gas" you need to tune to it to take advantage of the added octane.  When we were kids we could buy 100 octane at a local station.  We'd advance the timing on the old mechanical distributors (just before detonation) to take advantage and make extra power.  I don't think you'd see any benefit otherwise.

When I was a kid 100 octane was the equivalent of today's 89-91 octane.  That was before they changed the ratings from RON (Research Octane Number) to the current rating method of (R + M / 2).  M stands for Motor Octane Number btw, and it was determined by running the fuel in a variable compression engine and measuring the knock compared to the knock from the same engine running pure iso-octane (2,2,4-trimethylpentane), which is 100 RON by definition.  I remember doing such tests back in ancient times at school in fuels and lubricants lab.  The small single cylinder engine had an adjustable cylinder that was cranked up or down to alter compression ratio. 

There are countries that still use RON ratings on the pumps.  I believe Britain still does, among others.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

J.D.

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2020, 10:33:11 AM »

Interesting.

I'm talking about a 100 octane "race fuel" gasoline pump among the 87/89/92 octane pumps.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2020, 12:09:42 PM »

If Spinal Tap sold gas, their gas would go to "11".

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

scotman623

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2020, 01:08:34 PM »

I have run both 91 and 93 in my 2017 SGS with the 107. On 91 the bike seemed to be a little peppier but seemed to run a bit hotter. WAWA down here is the only one I have found that has both 91 and 93. They also sell 89 non ethanol. I was involved in the WAWA data breech and had to change all my credit cards so I stopped going there. I don't think WAWA is top tier either.
I was caught in the WAWA data breach in NJ... Bank had to cancel my CC and everything...
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 25 queries.