Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 07 Ca owners / non-street legal / What to do?  (Read 1151 times)

Goin Mobile

• FLHRSEI.ORG
07 Ca owners / non-street legal / What to do?
« on: January 06, 2007, 02:36:56 PM »

I'm looking for some practical opinions from CVO owners in Califormia on changing out to non-street legal exhausts / air / tune. Last July our MoCo dealer stopped doing any non-street legal work. The crack down in California has most shops scared of a $25,000 fine. >:( A California 2007 owner has to place a pretty high value on better performance and sound because the cost and risk has been kicked up a whole bunch in recent years. I haven't personally heard yet of a $25,000 fixit ticket, but it is not out of the realm of possibility. Then there is the cost of the exhausts, tuner, air cleaner and dyno tune, which might have to be removed at further cost. Finally there is the battle with HD about warrenty issues especially if a non-MoCo shop does the work. From my perspective of just wanting to ride the bike, the EPA and state have made the hassles, cost and risk of non-street legal engine modifications something to seriously question.  [smiley=nervous.gif]

I'm not trying to rabble-rouse regarding the government interferring in our rights to ride as we want (unfortunately Ca leading the way), since we all are probably in agreement on that topic. I'm just trying to understand how other California CVO owners are dealing with these issues.
With only highway ahead
When I'm mobile
Keep me movin'  - Who

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
Re: 07 Ca owners / non-street legal / What to do?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 02:47:53 PM »

Since you live in CA, I would suggest you ride over to Reno, NV and Freedom Cycles hook you up with what your looking for  http://www.freedomcyclereno.com/

I used to live in CA and I know of some of the stringent rules/laws that are on the books and yeah some areas will enforce
It's your call on if and what you do but my choice was to get what I wanted and if/when the rules/laws are enforced maybe I will have to do something else at that time.

I guess that's why I saved all my OE Junk

jeffj

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 12:30:02 PM »

There are a couple articles posted someplace on this web site.  The EPA has started fining the dealerships in Calif. ........it actually started with a bay area dealership and it was into the 100s of thousands of dollers.  The article said that they're going to start in Calif. first then spread east and that they're starting with the dealerships but that smog testing for motorcycles may be in the near future.  So I'd suggest keeping your stock take offs.

You can go to Jim (hd-dude on this site) right there in San Leandro to get the Freedom package for your bike.  Or you can go directly to Freedom Cycles in Reno.  There are still a number of independant shops in the bay area that are doing mods, too but these are the two sources that many members of this site have used.  Good luck with it.

By the way many of us from Nor Cal have gotten together for the past four years, at the Easyriders Bike Show in Sacramento.  It's next weekend and we hope to see you there  (click on this link)......  http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1165962805/0#0
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 12:33:23 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 01:08:14 PM »

here are a few links to what JC mentioned above - lots of interesting reading

http://www.mrf.org/epa.php   has several informative links about 1/2 way down the 1st page

http://www.mrf.org/pdf/EPA-AI-1.pdf  part 1 of an article from American Iron magazine

http://www.mrf.org/pdf/EPA-AI-2.pdf  part 2 of article

jeffj

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.