Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yelvington Rear Tie-Downs  (Read 1903 times)

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Yelvington Rear Tie-Downs
« on: February 03, 2017, 11:50:11 AM »

Installed the rear tie-downs, very hard to photo, but this will give you an idea. Had they been available in chrome I probably would have gotten them that way. After installing them I am glad they are black, they just kind of blend in. For $40.00 and they include bolts they are worth it if you haul your bike, even occasionally.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: Yelvington Rear Tie-Downs
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 12:47:39 PM »

Got mine the other day but have not installed them yet.

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 01:09:35 PM »

Just ordered myself a set.

Designflaw

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 02:05:22 PM »

I typically use a soft tie around the passenger foot mount and the frame. Will have to look into these.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2017 FLHXSE CVO Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black
Performance: HP 99 TQ 121
Stage II = HD Torque Cam SE8-447
Rinehart Slimline, 4" Cans
HD Tuner w/ Wideband module
Screaming Eagle Front Fork internals, Tuned Rear

Appearance:
Blacking out all chrome and bolts. (Work in progress)
Custom color matched carbon fiber parts
HD Passing Lamps and LED lamps

bfd7165

• Air Wolf
    • IL

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited Siver/Palladium Blue
    • S
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 10:11:25 PM »

I installed mine and used them to trailer to NC.  Worked great! Recommend them. The only thing is they push the passenger peg out 1/2 inch and now I can really feel them now.
2016 CVO Limited
117 Kit
Reinharts

FLH91

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2014 FLSTNSE
    • CVO3: 2013 FLTRXSE2
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 08:31:18 AM »

I still love my "Biker Bars"  no wheel chocks or straps required........

us1fountain

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO SG
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 09:45:18 PM »

Too much leverage on a biker bar for me to be comfortable to use it. 900 lbs being supported just a few inches above the ground.  Mount that bar up on top the gas tank, I'll be a buyer. lol
I use straps up front and high, straps in back. Leverage point is reduced 10 fold, as is the bike wanting to twist with straps and chocks. With straps, you are working a 4' spread to keep the bike straight. A biker bar, a few inches, the width of the bar clamp.  I'm just not ready to risk it using the biker bar just yet.  Bikes that come loose, regardless of  method, was done incorrectly. That's my thinking. I'm not worried about taking 5 min longer to strap my bike down. That short amount of time savings shouldnt be the selling point. Just different strokes.

Edited to correct spelling errors and rewording. duh
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 07:45:54 PM by us1fountain »

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 01:34:59 PM »

Biker Bar to me is a scary piece of not well thought out equipment. First almost all motorcycle trailers are equipped with plywood floors that are screwed (not bolted) but sheetmetal screwed to crossmembers. Unless you are lucky enough to catch a crossmember when you bolt the base of the biker bar down you are otherwise just going to the plywood. A piece of plywood will just not support the weight of a bike when forces are increased due to impact from a wreck. It will just tear loose from the floor and the bike will bounce around in the trailer.
Another posting on this site yesterday points out he hit a hole in a parking lot and the actual biker bar itself failed. Someway the guy who had this happen justified it. But not me. The bike itself is so tall and heavy that the sway multi time increases the leverage and the bike will twist the small bikerbar loose from the floor. I bet alot of these already have damage to the floor from normal bumps etc but no one will notice until they need it to hold, when it won't
I will stick to a Condor with 6 tie downs that are all connected to e-track in floor which is welded to each crossmember the full length of the trailer. Part of this overprotection is due to running a tow company in the past and all the crazy crap I saw people do and the damage that resulted. In my opinion the Bikerbar falls in that category.

us1fountain

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO SG
    • IN

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 07:51:02 PM »

Biker Bar to me is a scary piece of not well thought out equipment. First almost all motorcycle trailers are equipped with plywood floors that are screwed (not bolted) but sheetmetal screwed to crossmembers.

Ive seen more than my share of floor rings just screwed to plywood floors with nothing more than regular washers underneath.  Same can be said about some wheel chocks.  A head shaker sometimes. I'm a firm believer of everything should be solid. If I'm in a wreck and my trailer is upside down or on its side, the bike will still be strapped solid in place.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 07:59:43 PM »

Biker Bar to me is a scary piece of not well thought out equipment. First almost all motorcycle trailers are equipped with plywood floors that are screwed (not bolted) but sheetmetal screwed to crossmembers. Unless you are lucky enough to catch a crossmember when you bolt the base of the biker bar down you are otherwise just going to the plywood. A piece of plywood will just not support the weight of a bike when forces are increased due to impact from a wreck. It will just tear loose from the floor and the bike will bounce around in the trailer.
Another posting on this site yesterday points out he hit a hole in a parking lot and the actual biker bar itself failed. Someway the guy who had this happen justified it. But not me. The bike itself is so tall and heavy that the sway multi time increases the leverage and the bike will twist the small bikerbar loose from the floor. I bet alot of these already have damage to the floor from normal bumps etc but no one will notice until they need it to hold, when it won't
I will stick to a Condor with 6 tie downs that are all connected to e-track in floor which is welded to each crossmember the full length of the trailer. Part of this overprotection is due to running a tow company in the past and all the crazy crap I saw people do and the damage that resulted. In my opinion the Bikerbar falls in that category.

X2.  6 tie downs, 2 each - front, middle, rear. Adjustable wheel chock, self locking.  Good point on trailers, best to make sure you hit a crossbeam to secure.

Will look into these tie downs.  Have been considering something for front and back, more secure.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 21 queries.