Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 1970 IRONHEAD BARN FIND... HELP!!!!  (Read 1016 times)

Deathhead4

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AZ

1970 IRONHEAD BARN FIND... HELP!!!!
« on: February 17, 2017, 04:23:56 PM »

This is a pain in butt. Probably in the wrong place, but here we go...

I bought this bike for $800. I've gotten it all the way down to the pistons. The pistons,  heads, covers, etc. were covered in carbon. I soaked them in mystery oil, wiped them down and used a dremele to remove carbon...nothing is scratched or gouged...before and after of piston below.

If everything is relatively clean, is there really any point to taking anything to a machine shop and forking over 300 dollars to do what I can do?

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

Re: 1970 IRONHEAD BARN FIND... HELP!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 05:33:06 PM »

I don' see pics.

A few questions:

Did you do a compression test?
Is it a big twin or a sporty motor?
Is the motor out?
Is it a rigid?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 07:42:12 PM by coloradotom »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 06:12:51 PM »

This is a pain in butt. Probably in the wrong place, but here we go...

I bought this bike for $800. I've gotten it all the way down to the pistons. The pistons,  heads, covers, etc. were covered in carbon. I soaked them in mystery oil, wiped them down and used a dremele to remove carbon...nothing is scratched or gouged...before and after of piston below.

If everything is relatively clean, is there really any point to taking anything to a machine shop and forking over 300 dollars to do what I can do?

Your question is actually very general (that's a good thing for responses), not all relative to CVO bikes (not something that's really cared about one way or another here) but is really lacking enough info for anyone to give you more than an equally general response.  To break it down a little differently than the way you presented the question I think you're asking:

Have broken down an old engine.  With the exception of carbon it looks ok.  After a thorough cleaning am I ok to hone, re-ring and reassemble?

Unfortunately with the info provided no one will know.  Pictures can't fully inform either.  What's the cylinder wear?  Are the cylinders round?  What do the heads look like when disassembled?  That and other info are all relevant to your answers. 

It's good you don't see anything obviously cracked or overly worn.  Unfortunately it's not all a question of the visually obvious (without some well calibrated glasses).

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 07:01:46 PM »

Considering the unknown history or what kind of life the motor has led it would be a good idea to let a shop give it a going over. Specially if you want to get any amount of enjoyment and miles out of it

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 21 queries.