Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: "Polaris will be selling more motorcycles than Harley in just 3 1/2 years"  (Read 2867 times)

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE

Article from "The Motley Fool"

"8 Reasons Indian Motorcycle Beating Harley Davidson"
https://www.fool.com/investing/general/2016/05/07/8-reasons-indian-motorcycle-is-beating-harley-davi.aspx

"Harley-Davidson is expecting to ship just 1% to 3% more bikes this year than it did in 2015, but shipments aren't sales, and as we've seen before, that doesn't mean more sales. It will be hard pressed to keep them flat instead of falling. Polaris Industries, on the other hand, is forecasting sales will continue growing at double-digit rates, pegging them to expand by percentage rates in the high teens -- suggesting the market-share gap between the two U.S.-based motorcycle makers will get much tighter over the next few years."

This will get interesting now that Polaris is more focused and getting a taste of success.

While HD is pruning it product offering (Just like Polaris did with Victory ) by combining the Dyna and Softails, which means they have more resources to focus on less.

But don't through the baby out with the bath water, Polaris revenue is $4.7 billion while Harley is $1.3 billion.  I guarantee that the Bean Counters at Polaris will dump the Indian line just like they did Victory if it is good for the company. Which is not likely anytime soon. 

On the other hand, Harley is going to bleed a lot but will not go down with out a fight.  That is obvious with what they have done in the past few years.

For me, I am going to hang on to my CVO TC for a while....cause its a Harley and I like you guys!  :bananarock:

:drink:

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald

call me pessimistic, but I don't see that happening.  Polaris is 'forecasting' sales to grow exponentially, while right now, motorcycle sales are down across the board.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America

they are including water craft, 4 wheel off road vehicles (which are oil fire right now) etc.
Alan

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8

And they sell more snowmobiles than Harley does!  :huepfenlol2:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America

And they sell more snowmobiles than Harley does!  :huepfenlol2:
Yea, forgot about those.. Think they might make quads as well?
Alan

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust

All "ifs" at this point.....If Indian develops a comprehensive dealer network coast-to-coast, if their MC sales approach strong #2 status as compared to HD, if millennials and the following generations begin to buy more MC's than they do now, if Indian develops a brand loyalty that generates repeat purchasers, and if the brand stays in business, it will change the way HD does business.  HD will have to downsize & close plant(s) to remain in business unless they extend their product line beyond the present offerings since they will no longer enjoy the market share they do now.  Doubtful but possible.

Long term could be healthy for the MC business.  Currently HD is the 800# gorilla in the cruiser zoo of weaker selling also rans/wanna bes. That can change, and if it does, bike buyers will have more choices and more competition than they do now. For the first 50 or so years of their history, HD & Indian were industry leaders.  Not a bad thing if that occurs again, but a lot of HD workers will very likely no longer be employed as an end result.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

rigidthumper

• Full CVO Member

You have to look at the real numbers- Polaris motorcycle units had a horrible Q4 2016, down 35% from 2015, so any growth in 2017 will look bigger than it actually is.  I wonder what those motley fools are trying to sell?  something...
From Polaris Industries P&L sheet:

"Motorcycle segment sales, including its PG&A related sales, decreased 35 percent in the 2016 fourth quarter to $105.7 million. Both Indian and Victory reported lower sales in the fourth quarter due to difficult comparables as product availability for all brands improved significantly in the 2015 fourth quarter, and as the Company reduced motorcycle production in the 2016 fourth quarter to complete the final paint system upgrade in Spirit Lake, IA. Slingshot® sales were down due to low product availability related to recall activity. Gross profit for the fourth quarter 2016 decreased 94 percent to $1.6 million compared to $24.0 million in the fourth quarter of 2015 due to lower production rates and higher warranty expense."

If Indian sold 500 units in Q4 2015, a 17% increase would mean only 585 units were sold in Q4 2016- not a staggering number, and it's easy to look like sales are way up when you're small.

J.D.

There's been blood in the water for some time and the industry didn't miss a golden opportunity to take advantage of Harley's reliability issues and mediocre customer service.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust

You have to look at the real numbers- Polaris motorcycle units had a horrible Q4 2016, down 35% from 2015, so any growth in 2017 will look bigger than it actually is.  I wonder what those motley fools are trying to sell?  something...

If Indian sold 500 units in Q4 2015, a 17% increase would mean only 585 units were sold in Q4 2016- not a staggering number, and it's easy to look like sales are way up when you're small.

Have read Motley Fool for many years and many times have viewed their financial advice in a similar way to Paul Krugman's economic advice.  Dead wrong, or unlikely to happen, sort of like a pair of Bizarro Supermans.  Others will disagree, but it has worked ok for me.  Plus I find them both at times to be unintentionally funny.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

rigidthumper

• Full CVO Member

They hooked me with  Molycorp.

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited

Just traded my Limited for an Indian FWIW.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Untitled by oneboltzfan, on Flickr
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue/Wicked Sapphire

ultrarider123

Just traded my Limited for an Indian FWIW.

Pictures a'comin I'm hoping.... :2vrolijk_21:

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

Pictures a'comin I'm hoping.... :2vrolijk_21:
It's a 2017 Springfield.

ultrarider123

Re: "Polaris will be selling more motorcycles than Harley in just 3 1/2 years"
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 09:34:02 AM »

Very nice ride.  Love their black....good quality paint and deeper than a hollow!

You realize that with this bike change, your site moniker will have to change... ;D

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

Very nice ride.  Love their black....good quality paint and deeper than a hollow!

You realize that with this bike change, your site moniker will have to change... ;D

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 21 queries.