Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Something seems wrong...  (Read 674 times)

tommyo

• Throttles on the right!
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2
Something seems wrong...
« on: July 09, 2007, 04:34:48 PM »

Was at the local Dealer today standing at one end of the service area and took a good look. I'm going to say there are at least 20+ bays and all of them were full. And there is no room on the floor for anything else to be put in there. I also know that they have an out building too that is half full for service. What the hell do we ride these things for? Are there that many oil changes going on? I would say half the bike had engines torn down (110). Really just seemed strange. I was a Motocross guy for a long time and was sponsored by a pretty big shop... never seemed as full for service as HD's. I'm just babbling to hear myself talk. :zthread:
When in doubt... GAS it!!!

Starting over!!

bc

• Full CVO Member
Re: Something seems wrong...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 04:41:34 PM »

[quote
Was at the local Dealer today standing at one end of the service area and took a good look. I'm going to say there are at least 20+ bays and all of them were full. And there is no room on the floor for anything else to be put in there. I also know that they have an out building too that is half full for service. What the hell do we ride these things for? Are there that many oil changes going on? I would say half the bike had engines torn down (110). Really just seemed strange. I was a Motocross guy for a long time and was sponsored by a pretty big shop... never seemed as full for service as HD's.
[/quote]

I can't honestly say that my HDs have been as well engineered as my Japanese bikes of the past, but even so, I also haven't had any real problems with the HDs either (knock on wood).  The biggest obvious difference is customization - well, the bolt-on HD and aftermarket parts biz, anyway, if you want to call that customization.  The dealers make a big part of their business doing this stuff, including engine upgrades.

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

4stars

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 07:12:54 PM »

I own a new car dealership and our service business is steady all year EXCEPT for late June through July.  We are absolutely swamped during this time.  Folks are getting cars serviced before vacation, along with it being a hot time of year which adds stress to some components. We are also busier selling new and used vehicles, so more new units are arriving and more trades are coming in, all of which need to be serviced before being placed for resale.

The quality of all of our vehicles is the highest it has ever been, but they are also the most technologically advanced and the average shade tree down the street knows better than to take on too much.  I think our bikes have reached this same point.

BTW, my bike needs to go into the Harley shop right now for service.  I just don't have the time to do it myself.  So, chalk me up with all those other guys who are clogging the service departments during June, July, and August...

bpalmersheim

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 CVO Screamin' Eagle Road King (FLHRSE3) 110" - Razor Red/Gold Leaf Flames
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 09:49:25 PM »

My dealer is the same way.  All the stalls full, floor full, etc...  Can't even get in for routine service without waiting a few weeks.
2007 CVO Screamin' Eagle Road King (FLHRSE3) 110" - Razor Red/Gold Leaf Flames

United States Army Retired (4x Combat Veteran)
CVMA, H.O.G. Member, Patriot Guard Rider

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 22 queries.