Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 08 Brembo Calipers  (Read 1441 times)

SPIDERMAN

08 Brembo Calipers
« on: August 26, 2007, 07:57:11 PM »

So, like a few others on the site I'm sure, I was excited to see the Brembo caliper offered to fit touring models in the 08 parts catalogue, only to be let down when I noticed it did not backfit. I spoke to Jimmy the wrench at SD H-D yesterday and he's not sure why. The 08's have gone to a 25mm front axle but that shouldn't affect the brakes. I'd like to know what the P/N of a lower leg for any 08 FL model is. If it doesn't end in 08 then I see no reason why these calipers shouldn't work on earlier years. I could be wrong and I'm opening this thread up or debate on the issue

B B

Rhino

Re: 08 Brembo Calipers
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 08:00:32 PM »

Not to hijack the thread but similarly, the brake pedal is longer on 08, no backfit either.
Rhino
So, like a few others on the site I'm sure, I was excited to see the Brembo caliper offered to fit touring models in the 08 parts catalogue, only to be let down when I noticed it did not backfit. I spoke to Jimmy the wrench at SD H-D yesterday and he's not sure why. The 08's have gone to a 25mm front axle but that shouldn't affect the brakes. I'd like to know what the P/N of a lower leg for any 08 FL model is. If it doesn't end in 08 then I see no reason why these calipers shouldn't work on earlier years. I could be wrong and I'm opening this thread up or debate on the issue

B B

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 08:03:33 PM »

Not to hijack the thread but similarly, the brake pedal is longer on 08, no backfit either.
Rhino

No highjack Rhino, as a matter of fact, maybe it'd be a good place to compare all of the differences on the 08's for anyone that wants to try to backfit stuff. There's been some chatter on another thread about the vibration isolater rear sprocket thingamabob   

B B

PS
    Did you know there's an emoticon for hijacking a thread  LOL

Rhino

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 08:36:32 PM »

Yeh that thingamabob, I have not looked into it at all, what it is what it does, etc. Not sure I want to know either. I think the 07's, more so the 08's are going to more difficult to mess with anyway, but I do like those BRAKES!  Somebody will make it fit, or Brembo will offer, if not already, an upgrade for us old bike owners ....ya knw  07's and earlier.
Rhino

No highjack Rhino, as a matter of fact, maybe it'd be a good place to compare all of the differences on the 08's for anyone that wants to try to backfit stuff. There's been some chatter on another thread about the vibration isolater rear sprocket thingamabob   

B B

PS
    Did you know there's an emoticon for hijacking a thread  LOL

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 10:23:18 PM »

B B....don't take this to the bank or anything, but if I'm not mistaken, the hub on the 08's is much the same as those on the Vrods when they started putting the Brembo's on them.  The rotor is a different size, and the rotor bolts up differently, so they are able to use the same fork to bolt the calipers to, but the rotor is slightly larger, so everything lines up.  You can't bolt a new style rotor to an old wheel/hub configuration.  I've not looked into it further than a preliminary look though.  But, I do have an 06 SEVrod to compare to, and the hub is totally different.  If I'm not mistaken, the extra brackets required to bolt Brembo's to models without the new hub are to move the caliper closer to the centerline of the old style hub/axle so they could bite the old style rotor.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 10:26:37 PM »

B B....don't take this to the bank or anything, but if I'm not mistaken, the hub on the 08's is much the same as those on the Vrods when they started putting the Brembo's on them.  The rotor is a different size, and the rotor bolts up differently, so they are able to use the same fork to bolt the calipers to, but the rotor is slightly larger, so everything lines up.  You can't bolt a new style rotor to an old wheel/hub configuration.  I've not looked into it further than a preliminary look though.  But, I do have an 06 SEVrod to compare to, and the hub is totally different.  If I'm not mistaken, the extra brackets required to bolt Brembo's to models without the new hub are to move the caliper closer to the centerline of the old style hub/axle so they could bite the old style rotor.

Yeah TC, I'm thinking it's more in the hub/rotor than the legs. All you've got to be is a couple mm's off and the whole deal goes south
To me this is where H-D is dumb. You'd think they'd see the potential in designing upgrades, so they can be backfit.

B B
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 10:30:21 PM by SPIDERMAN »

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 10:28:40 PM »

but then you could upgrade for 1/3 the price...... never gonna be part of the H-D mission statement
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 10:31:57 PM »

but then you could upgrade for 1/3 the price...... never gonna be part of the H-D mission statement

Yoda
          You are so right. Way more money in selling new motorcycles than a few paltry parts.

Padon the ignorance of this jedi wannabe   ;D

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 10:33:51 PM »

I'm very happy with my PM calipers thus far on the Ultra...others are equal to them, I'm sure...but the PM's bolt right up and look pretty good too.

On the other hand, the SEV Brembos are awesome brakes, particularly on the front.

But both bikes are literally two finger front brakes now...

TTS Mastertune

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 10:34:22 PM »

i'm gald some of this stuff doesnt retro-fit, saves me $$$$$$$$ bad enought i have a bunch of 05-up patrs on the bike and i have more on the way
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 10:35:38 PM »

I'm very happy with my PM calipers thus far on the Ultra...others are equal to them, I'm sure...but the PM's bolt right up and look pretty good too.

On the other hand, the SEV Brembos are awesome brakes, particularly on the front.

But both bikes are literally two finger front brakes now...

I'm waiting for a price quote from HD_Dude on a set of PM front calipers for LD

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2007, 10:37:43 PM »

I haven't had a reason to look into this either, but I would assume that '08 style wheels/axles would bolt up to earlier models, but you'd be stuck with the HD style wheels...some of them are nice wheels...I have no desire to ever change the V's wheels, as they fit/look nice on the bike.  The Ultra wheels, on the other hand, never blew my skirt up 'till I changed them to PM's.

TTS Mastertune

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.