Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: What MPG do you get ?  (Read 6985 times)

Sioux City Bob

Re: What MPG do you get ?
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2010, 11:18:36 AM »

I might be wrong, and if I am I hope someone will let me know, but I believe that overheating is, to a large part, a result of 14.7 and higher air/gas ratios which gives great mileage, but runs your engine lean and hot.  I had my 2008 SE ultra tuned to 13.5 (or so) before I took possession of it.  I have never had it run hot (normally around 180 on the oil temp measured in the pan, not the oil cooler)  The hotest has been 210 for a little while going cross country, two up pulling a trailer going through the hills around the Tail of the Dragon area.

I usually get 200 miles on a tank (6.2 Gal.).  MPG in the 40 to 42 range.  I have 18,000 miles on it now.

I some times think about retuning it to get better milage, but have not because I do not want to have over heat problems. 

The bike is great.  Very dependable and I do not want to risk that by changing the fuel air mix to get a couple of more miles per gal.  Maybe I am making a mountain out of a molehill by worrying about overheating?  Is it a real problem or am I thinking it is a worse deal than it really is?

Bob Harris

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2010, 12:37:59 PM »

On the 09 SEUC,
Riding with the HOG Club, just me 46mpg, 2 up 44mpg. (yes they ride that slow  :'( )
Riding @10/15 over, just me 42mpg, 2 up 40mpg, 2 up w/trailer 38/39mpg.
Riding with w/90% over 80mph, just me 37/38mpg, 2 up 36/37mpg, w/trailer 35/36mpg.
The other 3 bikes do better under any condition on gas mileage than the 09.
Riding into a headwind changes everything.

SBB

Yeah, 'er 'uh, SBB,

All I know is, from Tilley's in Stateville, to the Harley Shop in Wytheville, (in 60 minutes I might add), Ol' Maudie sucked 5 gal. of fuel thru that BigA$$ed Motor.  What is that, 90 miles?  Think you could have kept up?  :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2010, 01:07:12 PM »

I ride till it reads almost empty....then fill her up and ride some more....MPG, what's that when your screaming!!!!

napalm
napalm

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2010, 01:10:20 PM »

2200 - 2800 rpm  good mph mpg

3300 - 4300 rpm  poor mph mpg

4500 - 5500 rpm  bad mph mpg

« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 04:14:05 PM by 110 Mofo »
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2010, 02:39:21 PM »

2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2010, 03:02:43 PM »

That was for Marty out in Calif. Hub!
Jim hd-dude!

SBB

My bad, I thought you had a Jim's Motor.  Didn't think you were that weak.  :huepfenlol2: Later--HUBBARD

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2010, 04:13:48 PM »

If you have the bike tuned and running good who cares about MPG. It's still better than my F350. Lean it out it gets Hot and you get better MPG. You Fatten it up and tune it you get better performance and less MPG.  8)
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

roadking71865

• "The Dark Knight"
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: The Dark Knight
    • CVO2: '03 FLHRSEI2 (sold)
    • CVO3: '08 F-250 Diesel
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2010, 11:55:12 PM »

I'd like to know how many have their speedo adjusted properly.
I'm told from the factory they are 6% fast which will result in better gas mileage.
I just had mine tuned and speedo adjusted to the proper setting and got 41MPG going 60-70MPH.
I guess that would be 43-44 if I had the factory setting.
Fullsac B X-pipe
1.75 pwr. cores
Big Sucker A/C
TTS MasterTuner
BAL Tail Light, Motolights
Custom Dynamics LED Turning Lamps
HD LED Headlamp & Passing Lamps
J & M FlexPower AM/FM/WB Antenna
J & M FlexPower CB Antenna
Mini Beast Air Horn, Wheeldock EZ-UP Center Stnd
Kennedy Technology CellSet
External XM SRS Satellite Antenna
HarleyGoodies Floor board extenders
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 440's
Clearview 9.5" windshield
Corbin Dual Tour Heated Seat

swat1

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2010, 12:15:19 AM »

07 Springer with Vance and Hines big radius 2into1 SERT, I get between 35-38. Seems a little low to me
That just happened

shortdog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2010, 01:16:22 PM »

Hey Swat,
Take it out of second gear.
08 Springer, hardly ever get into sixth, average around 45 mpg. Of course that is fuel mpg, get around 2,000 mpg for oil, but that's another whole thread.
Shortdog

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2010, 08:11:55 AM »

Well Saturday I got 37.5mpgs.

I guess that's not too far off my usual 34mpgs, but the interesting thing is that I rode Two-Up, something I NEVER do. We did a variety of conditions, from cool along the coast, to heavy traffic through Malibu, curvy canyons to The Rock Store, and valley heat down the 101/134/5 freeways to Griffith Park where we saw a live performance of Shakespeare's Othello in the park (One of my top three favorite Shakespeare plays).

Carrying twice the normal load, I expected the mpgs to drop, but they actually rose. Because I had a passenger, I rode very conservatively. No quick starts, high revs, fast passing, hard braking, or sustained fast speeds. Still, a rise in mpgs is the last thing I expected.

Any idea why my mpgs went UP with a passanger?

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

shortdog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2010, 08:14:30 AM »

It seems you answered your own question. "Conservative"

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2010, 09:20:10 AM »

When I had my '08 SERK Annie with V&H Dresser Duals, V&H Oval Mufflers, PCIII Dyno'd and SE-AC, I got between 33 to 39 mpg.

On my current '09 SERG O/B, orange and blacks run better, I have Fullsac 2" baffles, TTS Master Tune with Fullsac canned map and the stock free flowing SE-AC.  Doing the same roads as I did with the SERK, I get 43 to 49 mpg.

I still have all the same annoying noises in the motor from about 2500 to 3500 rpms, but nothing has broken yet.

I do agree with most here that mpg is a nice thing to get a lot of, but if the bike is running great, I really don't care.  The '08 SERK ran great and I did get about 6 mpg better after the dyno session and the throttle response was better, so even with below 40 mpg I was a very happy camper.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

91FXR

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2010, 05:03:31 PM »

95 lowrider with a 96" S & S stroker in it. 25 MPG on its best day

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2013, 12:42:21 PM »

When I had my '08 SERK Annie with V&H Dresser Duals, V&H Oval Mufflers, PCIII Dyno'd and SE-AC, I got between 33 to 39 mpg.

On my current '09 SERG O/B, orange and blacks run better, I have Fullsac 2" baffles, TTS Master Tune with Fullsac canned map and the stock free flowing SE-AC.  Doing the same roads as I did with the SERK, I get 43 to 49 mpg.

I still have all the same annoying noises in the motor from about 2500 to 3500 rpms, but nothing has broken yet.

I do agree with most here that mpg is a nice thing to get a lot of, but if the bike is running great, I really don't care.  The '08 SERK ran great and I did get about 6 mpg better after the dyno session and the throttle response was better, so even with below 40 mpg I was a very happy camper.

I haven't ridden since the Sunday evening ride from hell a few weeks ago.  The bike is still filthy and I'm ashamed to ride it.  But yesterday I rode to work.  Lots of speeding up and slowing down on the freeway for traffic.  When I do get a chance to ride faster, it's usually around 70 and for rush hour traffic, that doesn't happen often.

Anyway... I filled up with gas last night.  That take netted me 218 miles of riding with the wife for 75% of it.  I capped it off at 4.32 gallons as high as I could.  That tank got me 50.46 mpg.  When riding that tank out with the wife, I had mostly freeway at 65 to 75 and then some river road up north of Alton IL on into Harden IL.

I've checked my speedo and when using the mile markers for 5 miles, I'm less than a tenth off.  I've checked it with GPS and the mph is dead on.  So I have to figure that my mileage is accurate for gas mileage.

I know, I know, gas mileage is not that big of deal, but this '09 SERG has always been a great ride performing very well.  I did the Fullsac 2" and TTS Mastertune with Steve's canned map and the rest as they say is history.  This bike just runs great, no decel pop or throttle lag.

I just thought I'd mention my 50+ mpg.  It did impress me to get 50+.

Thanks for reading my ramblings...  ;D
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 21 queries.