Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: What MPG do you get ?  (Read 6986 times)

panz

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED ...GOLDEN GIRL
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO ULTRA Traded
    • CVO3: 2009 Ultra Classic Traded
Re: What MPG do you get ?
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2013, 09:35:43 AM »

Have 2013 SE Ultra...when I first got it it averaged around 40/43 ... Put a cat-less pipe on and get around 44/47. Thought I was going to get rid of heat from exhaust which I did, but the engine runs hotter now, meaning the ECM corrected the air/fuel ratio because of the cat-less pipe and makes it run leaner. Have a set of vieds-10 coming to hopefully correct this...will let you know next week how it works out. Sorry to get off the original post.
"LIFE IS SHORT...ENJOY IT!"

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2013, 03:31:09 PM »

Curious, how many miles do you get out of a rear tire?
just replaced both @ 21k
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2013, 04:02:55 PM »

Wow.. I guess that explains some of my horrible gas mileage..
Alan

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2013, 04:47:30 PM »

IMO, if anyone is getting less than 30 mpg on a 110, there's something amiss.  As in your "tune" is not a tune at all, it's just running in open loop all the time, and too rich at that.  Unless you're running at wide open throttle positions ALL the time, a properly tuned CVO should get between 35-50 mpg, depending on riding conditions.  I'm not one to "putt around", and I've never gotten less than 35mpg, usually about 38-42, and as high as 48.

There are a lot of "old school" tuners out there who will defeat the entire purpose of the ECM by forcing the bike into open loop ALL the time.  Might as well put a PCIII on the bike if it's done that way.

JMHO...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Hog95023

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2013, 05:57:22 PM »

IMO, if anyone is getting less than 30 mpg on a 110, there's something amiss.  As in your "tune" is not a tune at all, it's just running in open loop all the time, and too rich at that.  Unless you're running at wide open throttle positions ALL the time, a properly tuned CVO should get between 35-50 mpg, depending on riding conditions.  I'm not one to "putt around", and I've never gotten less than 35mpg, usually about 38-42, and as high as 48.

There are a lot of "old school" tuners out there who will defeat the entire purpose of the ECM by forcing the bike into open loop ALL the time.  Might as well put a PCIII on the bike if it's done that way.

JMHO...
what rpms are you running down the highway at? I unfortunately do not own a cvo, almost got that maroon road glide my wife suggested but decided to keep my 09 SG. I don't think it is possible for me to get 40 mpg. I would fall asleep  ;D. I couldn't get 210 out of a tank with the stock 96 and certainly won't with the 124.

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2013, 06:28:34 PM »

not sure about your 09 SG but the later ones have 6 gallons
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

Hog95023

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2013, 06:41:28 PM »

not sure about your 09 SG but the later ones have 6 gallons
lol I got a 6 gallon tank  :pineapple: the 66 throttle hog  :drink: a lot when I twist it  :nixweiss:

60FLH

« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2013, 07:13:43 PM »

There are a lot of "old school" tuners out there who will defeat the entire purpose of the ECM by forcing the bike into open loop ALL the time.  Might as well put a PCIII on the bike if it's done that way.

JMHO...

All that's being defeated is closed loop control. The ECM is still running the engine, and there are a whole bunch of pre-07s doing fine like that (yes they had ECMs too). The first thing many owners (and dealers) do is install exhaust that prevents the sensors from collecting accurate data. Open loop is a fine alternative to an engine that runs poorly due to garbage in garbage out. My 2010 cvo ultra runs cool, powerful and very smooth with a full open loop calibration. It consistently gets 42 mpg 2-up on 89 corn in the rolling hills of NW MO.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2013, 11:15:23 AM »

All that's being defeated is closed loop control. The ECM is still running the engine, and there are a whole bunch of pre-07s doing fine like that (yes they had ECMs too). The first thing many owners (and dealers) do is install exhaust that prevents the sensors from collecting accurate data. Open loop is a fine alternative to an engine that runs poorly due to garbage in garbage out. My 2010 cvo ultra runs cool, powerful and very smooth with a full open loop calibration. It consistently gets 42 mpg 2-up on 89 corn in the rolling hills of NW MO.

Sorry, but that is simply NOT true.  Who told you that BS?  There are several accomplished tuners on this board who would vehemently disagree with whoever said that.  Of course the ECM is controlling the engine in any fuel injected HD, and that has been true since day 1 of introduction.  There is absolutely no valid reason not to allow the bike to run in closed loop, IF it is properly tuned by someone who actually understands how the entire system operates.

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2013, 11:25:45 AM »

what rpms are you running down the highway at? I unfortunately do not own a cvo, almost got that maroon road glide my wife suggested but decided to keep my 09 SG. I don't think it is possible for me to get 40 mpg. I would fall asleep  ;D. I couldn't get 210 out of a tank with the stock 96 and certainly won't with the 124.

My normal Interstate speed is typically about 80 mph, depending on traffic flow.  Frequent runs up to 90 mph to get around trucks, etc.  Generally speaking, about 10 mph over the posted speed limit is my "normal" traveling speed.  My mpg has never been below 35, even on an '06 SEUC with a PCIII and tune, riding two up and loaded down.  So, depending on whether it's a 5 speed (the '06) or a 6 speed (the '11), the RPM would be somewhere between 2800-3500.  Mileage definitely suffers at more than 3K, but figures in the 20's is just not something I've heard about from anyone who has a properly tuned engine.

TTS Mastertune

60FLH

« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2013, 12:21:59 PM »

Midnight Rider:

Steve Cole has posted plenty of info about pipe and O2 bung issues, easy to find elsewhere but probably not much here on the cvo forum. Not interested in discussing it further.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.