Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: eBay scam?  (Read 1629 times)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
eBay scam?
« on: May 29, 2006, 10:51:35 AM »

Do you guys think this is some scam?  I got the following e-mail from eBay Inc. with the subject line "Security Management."

Dear eBay Customer,

During our regularly scheduled account maintenance and verification procedures, we have detected a slight error in your billing information.

This might be due to either of the following reasons:

1. A recent change in your personal information ( i.e. change of address )
2. Submiting invalid information during the initial sign up process.
3. An inability to accurately verify your selected option of payment due to an internal error within our processors.

Please update and verify your information by clicking the link below:

https://scgi.ebay.com/saw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll/_mem_bin/

If your information is not updated within 48 hours, your ability to sell or bid on eBay will be restricted.

Regards,
Accounting Department
eBay Inc.

I was immediately skeptical since this came to an older e-mail account that I no longer use and have removed from my eBay profile.  Clicking the link brought me to the screen below.  Note the "Account protection tips" message versus the url that's displayed.  Also, the VeriSign Secured logo is missing from this page.  I didn't go any farther because I thought things smelled fishy at this point.

Anyone else get a similar e-mail?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: eBay scam?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 11:10:36 AM »

Do you guys think this is some scam?  I got the following e-mail from eBay Inc. with the subject line "Security Management."

Dear eBay Customer,

During our regularly scheduled account maintenance and verification procedures, we have detected a slight error in your billing information.

This might be due to either of the following reasons:

1. A recent change in your personal information ( i.e. change of address )
2. Submiting invalid information during the initial sign up process.
3. An inability to accurately verify your selected option of payment due to an internal error within our processors.

Please update and verify your information by clicking the link below:

https://scgi.ebay.com/saw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll/_mem_bin/

If your information is not updated within 48 hours, your ability to sell or bid on eBay will be restricted.

Regards,
Accounting Department
eBay Inc.

I was immediately skeptical since this came to an older e-mail account that I no longer use and have removed from my eBay profile.  Clicking the link brought me to the screen below.  Note the "Account protection tips" message versus the url that's displayed.  Also, the VeriSign Secured logo is missing from this page.  I didn't go any farther because I thought things smelled fishy at this point.

Anyone else get a similar e-mail?

yep, I get this one, among others, all the time.......it's a jungle out there.  :o har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 11:10:42 AM »

B...I would be wary of this...I got something like this from my Credit Union (NOT!) wanting me to verify account information...called them and they told me they would NEVER ask for that information via e-mail.

Don't know about this one, but I'd be cautious...is there a way to call e-bay?  I'm not all that familiar with how they operate, but this sounds fishy to me. [smiley=nervous.gif]
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 11:11:28 AM »

i get 2 or 3 of those a month, claiming to be ebay or paypal or a credit card company
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Michael

• Michael's Stable
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2012 FLTRXSE BLACK & BLUE
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 11:25:36 AM »

I have been the victim of an ebay hack. When speaking to ebay directly, they ingormed me that any email or message sent to a member via email, will also be in their message box on "My Ebay". So, never login from an email message. Just go to your "My Ebay" and login. If the message was valid it will also be located there.

2012 FLTRXSE B&B
2010 Haulmark VHauler
2007 Shelby Mustang GT

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 12:21:32 PM »

SCAM!
I get a couple of those a month, forward the email to spoof@ebay.com

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 12:50:36 PM »

SCAM!
I get a couple of those a month, forward the email to spoof@ebay.com

eBay asks that your forward those bougus emails so they can try to track them.  Never know which one they will be able to track but it can't hurt to forward them to the spoof address that Dude listed.

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 06:45:15 AM »

Never use an email link to go to ebay or paypal, always sign in direct to the website like you normally would.  If there is a problem with your account they will tell you there.

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 08:46:16 AM »

[highlight]Dear eBay Customer,[/highlight]

There's another tip....legitimate email from eBay will always include your Userid...and not use a generic greeting such as this.

"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 12:57:19 PM »

Looks like a scam to me........Be careful with these things.....there are a lot of A$$HOLES out there.....
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 01:01:34 PM »

Scam without a doubt. I get a half dozen Ebay and Paypal emails a week. Check out either ones home page and they will tell you that they will never send you an email with a link in it. That is a link that will redirect you to the scammers site. >:(
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 08:22:42 PM »

Thanks for the help and responses, everyone.  I got this e-mail from eBay today in response to forwarding the scam e-mail to spoof@ebay.com:

Hello,

Thank you for writing to eBay regarding the email you received.

Emails such as this, commonly referred to as "spoof" or "phished"
messages, are sent in an attempt to collect sensitive personal or financial information from the recipients.

The email you reported was not sent by eBay. We have reported this email to the appropriate authorities.

In the future, be very cautious of any email that asks you to submit information such as your credit card numbers or passwords. If you are ever concerned about an email you receive from eBay, simply follow these
steps:

1. Open a new Web browser and type www.ebay.com into your browser address field to go directly to the eBay site.

2. On eBay, click on the "My eBay" link at the top of the page and sign into your account.

3. Check the "My Messages" link located on the left side of the My eBay page. If an email affects your eBay account, it's now in "My Messages."
Any email sent to your registered eBay email address from eBay or from another eBay member via eBay's member-to-member communication system will also appear in "My Messages."

Just remember, if you get an email regarding a problem with your account or that is requesting personal information, and the email looks like it is from eBay, please check My Messages first. If it's not there, it's a fake email.

If you still have any doubt about whether an email message is from eBay, please forward it to spoof@ebay.com immediately. Do not respond to it or click any of the links. Do not remove the original subject line or change the email in any way when you forward it to eBay.

If you have already entered sensitive personal information, financial information, or your password into a Web site based on a request from a spoofed email, you should take immediate action to protect your identity and all of your online accounts. We have developed an eBay Help page with valuable information regarding the steps you should take to protect yourself.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/isgw-account-theft-reporting.html

To review eBay's new tutorial about Spoof Emails, please see the following Web page:

http://pages.ebay.com/education/spooftutorial/

To help you better protect yourself from fake eBay and PayPal Web sites, we have developed a feature for the eBay Toolbar called "Account Guard."
Account Guard includes an indicator of when you are on an eBay or PayPal Web site or a known spoof (or "phishing") site, buttons to report fake eBay Web sites, and a password notification feature that warns you when you may be entering your eBay password on an unverified site.

To learn more about the eBay Toolbar with Account Guard, please go to www.ebay.com, click on "Downloads" at the bottom of the page, and then click on the "eBay Toolbar" link.

We also recommend that you keep your browser, operating system, and virus protection software up to date. Check for updates at the "Windows Update" link on www.microsoft.com and scan your computer for viruses often.

Once again, thank you for alerting us to the spoof email you received.
Your efforts help keep eBay a safe and fair place to trade.

Regards,

Ande
eBay SafeHarbor
Investigations Team

Important: eBay will not ask you for sensitive personal information (such as your password, credit card and bank account numbers, Social Security numbers, etc.) in an email. Learn more account protection tips
at:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/isgw-account-theft-protection.html

For our latest announcements, please check:

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/announce.shtml

In order to better serve you, we'd like to occasionally request feedback on our service. If you would rather not participate, please click on the link below and send us an email with the word "REMOVE" in the subject line.
If that does not work, please send an email to the email address below. Your request will be processed within 5 days.

mailto:cssremove@ebay.com

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2006, 12:11:11 PM »

103 i have gotten a few of those in the past but I have a program that helps to defend against "phishing" and if yiu try to open the link or respond a warning comes up alerting you its a scam.
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 01:16:42 AM »

I agree with everybody, never answer an Email with any of your information I just like all the others get one from Ebay or Paypal acouple times a month. If I wonder about it I always ( CALL THEM FIRST )

Don

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 21 queries.