Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Recommended" shops in the Charleston, SC area  (Read 1223 times)

Ultrafun

• Junior CVO Member
"Recommended" shops in the Charleston, SC area
« on: March 16, 2013, 10:57:38 AM »

Just relocated (retired) me and my Ultra CVO to Charleston, SC and was looking to find a great mechanic at the only local HD shop in town (bike is under warranty) from Yorktown, VA.  Locals say to avoid the shop. Bad news for me.  Any suggestions for a good and detailed oriented HD mechanic in this area?  I'd rather ride to VA before I let someone mess up my toys.

Thanks

Layin the Pipe

• Drill baby drill!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE Hard Candy Gold Dust/Liquid Sun
Re: "Recommended" shops in the Charleston, SC area
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 11:44:55 AM »

I've vacationed there. Stayed on Edistow Island. You should have some beautiful rides there. Looks like your options are in Beaufort and Columbia, SC and then Augusta, GA. Unfortunately all are a few hours away. Probably one in Savannah, GA too.
You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas! - Davy Crockett

hogasm

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 05:22:12 PM »

PM Mikeytee
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 05:32:03 PM by hogasm »

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 07:46:22 PM »

Welcome.  I've been here for 3+ years and will tell you the same about the Charleston HD dealer.  A friend has been reamed more than once by them - and still goes back for more.  I do all my own work so I can't really direct you to someone good.  HD dealers in Savannah (90 minutes), Columbia (90 minutes), Florence (2 hours) and Myrtle Beach (90 minutes).  The Myrtle Beach dealer is owned by the same as Charleston.  Routine maintenance is easy to do yourself so unless you need something significant, you may be OK.

Chris
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

Ultrafun

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 10:33:35 PM »

Much appreciated.  Sad we have a bum dealer in a high HD traffic area.

Simpleman1025

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHRSE5
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 03:15:33 PM »

Ultrafun,

Welcome to the area! I sent you a PM. I'm not sure what part of town you settled in, I'm in the north area. If you're not familiar with the area or don't have any local riding buddies, let me know. I will introduce you to the group I've been riding with. We're all around our 50's, some married some not, all are welcome.

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 03:54:24 PM »

Dougs in Florence is a good dealership..... long way but what do u do.....

Ultrafun

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 09:36:09 PM »

Thanks brothers.  I've been to Doug HD.  Small,  but looked like a good shop to do business with.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 10:00:19 PM »

I grew up in Charleston, and remember when LCHD was started in a couple of mini-wharehouses (late 70's) we used to say that Phil, the owner, always looked and acted like he just bit into a turd. They were all hungry back then, they had 1 really good tech, I used to buy some parts from them, but did all my own wrenching. How times have changed... Charlie from Charleston Harley Re-builders on Johns Island was good on the older stuff evos, I don't know how he is on the efi motors, he was always meticulous, I'm sure he can't do new warranty work, maybe ESP he would be one to do service work and you just hold LCHD's toes to the fire on warranty work. You might want to go speak with him and pick his brain, he is out on Maybank Hwy on Johns Island
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2013, 10:41:08 PM »

Charlie from Charleston Harley Re-builders on Johns Island was good on the older stuff evos, I don't know how he is on the efi motors, he was always meticulous, I'm sure he can't do new warranty work, maybe ESP he would be one to do service work and you just hold LCHD's toes to the fire on warranty work. You might want to go speak with him and pick his brain, he is out on Maybank Hwy on Johns Island
I spent 8 months down in Charleston a couple years ago, I am from the Hampton Roads area and I used Harley Re-builders. Great guy I had him do my Compensator, Cams etc. and install my Thundermax. I would have no problem going back to him, as stated he is very meticulous.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

Ultrafun

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 11:44:07 AM »

Thanks.  Seems us military folks seem to be pretty good about finding good mechanics.  Ill give him a look.

Much appreciated

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 07:50:59 PM »

Thanks.  Seems us military folks seem to be pretty good about finding good mechanics.  Ill give him a look.

Much appreciated

Didn't get a PM but, don't use LCHD. I have bought 4 bikes from them but do not have service done there. I have used Bubba's in Summerville with good results. My major work was done in Elizabeth City NC. at the HD shop there. Doug's in Florence is good so I have heard. I have been In the Charleston area for 40 years.
Welcome to The Lowcountry.
Mike
 :drink:

Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 24 queries.