Custom Vehicle Discussions > Screamin’ Eagle® Softail® Springer®

battery recall

(1/3) > >>

vin-man:
Was wondering if anybody has had this recall work done yet. My dealer said he does not have the kits in yet and put me on a list. I'm worried about riding the bike since the recall states a possble fire which could result in injury or death to the rider!!! Sounds pretty serious.

Puzzled:
Riding a Harley without a recall could result in injury or death just the same ;).

Keep riding and keep an eye on the problem to be fixed. :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider:
What is the source of the recall?

lance711:
Got my Recall notice today  - it says the positive cable may come in contact with a weld bead on the oil tank and wear through causing a fire.  They are going to install a battery caddy to protect the cable.  Oh well - not gonna stop riding over that.  Too nice out.

djkak:

--- Quote from: vin-man on May 12, 2007, 08:32:12 PM ---Was wondering if anybody has had this recall work done yet. My dealer said he does not have the kits in yet and put me on a list. I'm worried about riding the bike since the recall states a possble fire which could result in injury or death to the rider!!! Sounds pretty serious.

--- End quote ---

It is my vague understanding that this issue has something to do with the insulation on the battery positive battery cable chafing through, allowing battery voltage to pass through the oil tank. I believe that the oil tank is rubber mounted, so there is a real chance that a great deal of current could find some obscure path to ground through anything metallic attached to the tank, like an oil line.

A lot of the recalls that we hear about sound kind of “chicken chit” to me and I sometimes wonder how these seemingly minor issues qualify for “safety recall” status. This one sounds like something that could really ruin your day. It I were running this machine and chose to continue running it, I would make absolutely sure that the entire length of the battery positive cable was undamaged and well protected from any possible damage.

An oil fire in the crotch could ruin your weekend and I'm not talking about the crotch where Lawrence Welk parks his car. :)

djkak

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version