Custom Vehicle Discussions > Screamin’ Eagle® Softail® Springer®

battery recall

<< < (2/3) > >>

Smiler:

--- Quote from: vin-man on May 12, 2007, 08:32:12 PM ---Was wondering if anybody has had this recall work done yet. My dealer said he does not have the kits in yet and put me on a list. I'm worried about riding the bike since the recall states a possble fire which could result in injury or death to the rider!!! Sounds pretty serious.

--- End quote ---
Certainly does sound serious but just think of the spectacle, twighlight and in the distance the roar of a V-Twin with the screeming of it's rider hurtling down the road with flames coming out of his ar*e, triggers off visions of a David Mann masterpiece.....

Seegarsmkr:
I sure would enjoy it more if it were someone else arse on fiber!!!!! :oops:  I pick mine up in a few weeks I sure hope they fix all these nit-noid things before they put it together rather than hand me a few pieces of paper one for the vibe fix and one for the Nad-fire prevention. :o

Seegarz

Tros:
Is this recall specific to CVO springers or all springers?

RPOZ51:

--- Quote from: Tros on May 16, 2007, 10:00:08 PM ---Is this recall specific to CVO springers or all springers?

--- End quote ---

It's all Softails.  This is from my letter:

"Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. has decided that a defect relating to motor vehicle safety exists on certain 2007 Softail models (FXST, FXSTB, FXSTC, FXSTD, FXSTSSE, FLSTC, FLSTF, FLSTN, FLSTSC, FLSTSC Shrine, and FLSTF Shrine) vehicles built from June 8, 2006 through March 14, 2007. These motorcycles were built with a condition that permits the positive battery cable to contact a weld bead on the oil tank. This may cause the weld bead to abrade through the insulation on the cable and cause an electrical short from the battery through the oil tank and oil lines. This could lead to an oil leak and/or possible fire, which could result in injury or death to the rider."

. . .

"Please contact your Harley-Davidson motorcycle dealer immediately and arrange an appointment to have a battery caddy installed that will protect the cable and ensure proper cable routing. Actual dealer labor time to perform this service will be less than one hour; however, due to scheduling, the dealer may require your motorcycle for a longer period of time. The parts and labor will be free of charge to you. Recall kits will be available at your dealership beginning the week of May 7, 2007."

Seegarsmkr:

. . . which could result in injury or death to the rider."
[/quote]

Yep, it don't get much more serious than that. 

Seegarz 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version