Custom Vehicle Discussions > Screamin’ Eagle® Softail® Springer®

Greasing the Springer front end - Steering head and rocker

<< < (2/2)

Jack:
 :beatdeadhorse: Usually when I have cleaned my bike, I will lightly oil the shafts inside the
Springers above the bushings. You will be able to tell if this needs attention if you hold the front brake fast,
and undulate the suspension.  You should be able to hear the noise thats screaming for attention.

I use a Q-tip flattened out, sparingly dipped in a light oil (3in1?) that will not attract dirt. Usually done when
the bike is on a lift with the suspension extended. There are light oils (clock oils ?) in containers with long
needle type applications that might make it easier/messier.......J

Screamin Eagle Carl:
Hi Jack,

without changing this thread, Jack, good sound advice. Appreciate it. Liked the Youtube comments as well. I have some exposure based on number of views and if I can capture more attention with sound HD advice and tips/tricks. it is a world of difference in a positive front!

The tip on the 3 in 1 oil is great too!  :orange: :orange: :orange:

I will get my trusty video camera out for the next oil change too Wild Card!  :orange: :orange:

Now off to Ride the Wind!

Where's the Harley emoticon? This site needs a little cartoon character riding a motorcycle.

Screamin Eagle Carl:
or maybe this one....

pogo622:
Regarding greasing the neck bearings on the head of Springer. I own a 2007 FXSTSSE and when I recently had it in for 2500 mile maintenance of the front end at my local HD shop, the mechanic said to use  WURTH  SIG 3000 super grease.  Better for water resistance, won't pound out, won't melt like standard grease in hot weather, special rust and corrosion inhibitors, higher Timken load than regular grease.  Mechanic says you can buy a 3000 grease like this or another brand online.
Thoughts or comments appreciated.

Jack:
 :beatdeadhorse:

Wurth is a German co. You probably can't do better than this but some similar to the 65 bearing load this offers.

Coming up on 67k on the clock, had neck bearings replaced couple of seasons past.  Had a knock that wouldn't go away.  Been looking for this kind of tolerance, thanks for the info.

With a shop manual some simple tools and a digital gauge you can set the pre load on the Springer set up at the headlamp area.

30k on Amsoil then 30k on Mobil 1.  Now Quicksilver: http://www.quicksilver-products.com/powersports/motorcycle/engine-oils/

I highly recommend Mercury Marine "Quicksilver' Heavy air cooled v twin 20w50 full synthetic in motor (rated SM) highest rating.

Cooler running, quieter.

Recreational watercraft are constantly under load, not so for land vehicles.

Found on Walmart shelf gal jug $30.50 out the door....... J

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version