Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: On Dealer Down  (Read 5365 times)

mark

Re: On Dealer Down
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2020, 06:11:38 PM »

When I walk into a bike shop, forgive me for being old school, but I really want to talk to people who know more about their products than I do.  I don't want to talk to a sales person.
What I’ve found is that motorcycle junkies (like most of us) read forums, articles, etc., and stay up to date on motorcycle news and issues.  Rarely do you encounter a salesperson with the same knowledge, and as a result, you get a lot of BS. 

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2020, 07:36:48 PM »

You mean like this?

This the new store they just moved from a few miles down the road? If so a buddy of mine helped ride the bikes to the new store from the old one.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

J.D.

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2020, 08:05:44 PM »

Example... typical uneducated sales guy pressing me to look at a new bike while I'm walking through the showroom to the parts counter, talking up the paint or whatever.  I ask him if they've changed the oil pump design yet to resolve the sumping issue.  "The what?"

Smoketown

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2020, 09:14:35 PM »

Example... typical uneducated sales guy pressing me to look at a new bike while I'm walking through the showroom to the parts counter, talking up the paint or whatever.  I ask him if they've changed the oil pump design yet to resolve the sumping issue.  "The what?"

Back in the day, the son, son-in-law, nephew, or whatever he was, would get one of the mechanics from the shop to answer your question ...

It has always been that way and I do not see it changing.

Those that actually know something about the bikes usually work on them ... The money is typically a lot better 'in the back' than it is 'in sales'.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2020, 06:31:11 AM »

Most of my trips are day trips, and if I was to break down I'd have it towed back to home and fix it myself rather than a dealership  So the dealer network is no longer important to me personally.
Makes sense when that is how you ride.  I ride long trips, usually 2 at around 5000 miles each a year.  Dealer network is very important to me.  Out in the rockies you can be 500 plus miles to a BMW Dealer or Indian dealer.

Heck, on my local rides they can be 250 to 300 miles, so you would be 150 or more back to the nearest BMW or Indian dealer, but 50 or 60 to HD.

My wife also rides her bikes cross country, last year TN to CA by her self, two years dealer TN to OR by her self.  Nice to know dealers all along the way if she has an issue with her Road Glide Special

What I’ve found is that motorcycle junkies (like most of us) read forums, articles, etc., and stay up to date on motorcycle news and issues.  Rarely do you encounter a salesperson with the same knowledge, and as a result, you get a lot of BS. 

As for Sale People at SMHD there are a few that are very up on the products and new parts.  On occasion they have beat me to the knowledge of it.  That said our sales people ride, and love riding.  Our parr's staff is also good, most are very up on newest stuff and most will go out of their way to help you find what your looking for. 

Its one of the so called Boutique stores.  That said the majority of employees ride, and its Family owned.  Set up to be a place you want to hang out, have lunch and a beer or watch a live concert. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2020, 07:34:01 PM »

Our local store "Mid-Ohio Harley Davidson" shut down for good 2 months ago....

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2020, 09:19:09 PM »

Our local store "Mid-Ohio Harley Davidson" shut down for good 2 months ago....
Where was that one located?

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2020, 10:29:57 PM »

Where was that one located?
It's Springfield Ohio.  New owner is the Loomis's same ones own cagers in Plain City and the one in Piqua Ohio.  Hope this helps you Mike  :2vrolijk_21:

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2020, 06:07:56 AM »

It's Springfield Ohio.  New owner is the Loomis's same ones own cagers in Plain City and the one in Piqua Ohio.  Hope this helps you Mike  :2vrolijk_21:
Thanks Greg  :2vrolijk_21:

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2020, 10:53:32 AM »

I think I bought 10 brand new Harleys so far. For a while it was a new one every 2 years. I always filled out that stupid survey they send in the mail after you buy a bike. In the later years (after the 100 year anniversary) I always wrote that the biggest negative to buying a Harley was I had to go to a dealer to get one. For the most part I HATE DEALERSHIPS. I suggested they allow customers to order a bike direct from the factory. Then I never would have to set foot in a dealership. I want nothing to do with Chinese trinkets and junk and I have NO desire to join the HOG club. I see the new way to buy a car is order it online and get it delivered to your house. I'm all in! Let me order online so I don't have to interact with NOBODY at the stealership. I'll go to Goodwill and get a H-D t-shirt (in like-new condition) for $4. Thank you.

bigC

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE gone
    • CVO3: 2015 FLHXSE sold
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2020, 03:16:17 PM »

That didn't last long. They just bought that dealership less than 2 years ago.
Maggie Valley 2016     MITM ES 2017   WV GTG 2018 
Maggie valley 2017     MITM ES 2018   WV GTG 2021
Maggie Valley 2018     MITM ES 2019   OH GTG 2022
Maggie Valley 2019
Maggie Valley 2022
Maggie Valley 2023

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2020, 03:27:03 PM »

Yes BigC I guess sales went down. If you don't want to deal with the public your not going to survive...

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 Fat Boy Blue/Brushed Steel
    • CVO2: 2015 Street Black/Ghost Flames
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2020, 07:44:22 PM »

Well here you go 2smoke:

HARLEY-DAVIDSON - HOME DELIVERYEnd Date: 4/30/2020
Choose your model, your color, and get your bike delivered to your home — all from home.

Explore the range of Harley-Davidson models.
Connect with a participating dealer expert, discuss the bike, accessories, and payment opportunities before committing.
Delivered to you on your schedule, and at your convenience.
Delivery available for a limited time through participating dealers. Availability is subject to applicable laws, regulations, and government orders. Contact your local dealer for additional information.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2020, 12:28:49 AM »

Well here you go 2smoke:

Choose your model, your color, and get your bike delivered to your home — all from home.

Connect with a participating dealer expert, discuss the bike, accessories, and payment opportunities before committing.
Delivery available for a limited time through participating dealers. Availability is subject to applicable laws, regulations, and government orders. Contact your local dealer for additional information.

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :-\
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2020, 11:04:00 AM »

Well here you go 2smoke:

Nice! They are getting closer but once again you are going through a dealer. I don't want to deal with them in person or over the phone. By buying factory direct any dealer mark-up can be passed along to me in the form of a discount.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 25 queries.