Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Indian Neck Failure  (Read 3434 times)

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
Indian Neck Failure
« on: July 01, 2020, 08:16:56 PM »

Come across this on Facebook.
This is disturbing. Newer "Indian".. the cast neck failed just on a corner, no impact. I have no further details.

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

Re: Indian Neck Failure
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 08:17:56 PM »

scotman623

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 09:38:27 PM »

WOW!!! Never heard of that happening before... Hopefully the rider was okay..

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 09:55:44 PM »

Well at least the indian stamp on the neck survived  :nervous:

ultrarider123

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 07:29:12 AM »

Just read a few posts about this on the Indian forum.  This came from a bookface post and is a hoax.  According to the information, the "rider" stated they were in a slow sweeper and the neck just broke off.  While I didn't investigate (I don't do bookface), apparently there was some investigation and the rider was hoping to fool InPo into replacing it for him because of the potential casting "flaw" in manufacturing the frame.  He didn't have insurance (again, according to the folks that investigated). 

Y'all do know that the internet is the devil, right?   :huepfenjump3: :bananarock:

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 08:34:11 AM »

Just read a few posts about this on the Indian forum.  This came from a bookface post and is a hoax.  According to the information, the "rider" stated they were in a slow sweeper and the neck just broke off.  While I didn't investigate (I don't do bookface), apparently there was some investigation and the rider was hoping to fool InPo into replacing it for him because of the potential casting "flaw" in manufacturing the frame.  He didn't have insurance (again, according to the folks that investigated). 

Y'all do know that the internet is the devil, right?   :huepfenjump3: :bananarock:
I agree that you should always verify what you hear on the internet and I am always skeptical of this kind of thing.
Can you clarify one thing for me?  What is "Bookface?"   :nixweiss:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 08:49:52 AM »

I agree that you should always verify what you hear on the internet and I am always skeptical of this kind of thing.

Yes - also Haird do you have a link to the story?
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

ultrarider123

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 09:56:35 AM »

Sorry, that's what I call Facebook....just a play on words.

Yes - also Haird do you have a link to the story?

I have the info on the Indian Motorcycle forum discussion about the pictures, story and investigation on bookface but since I don't have an account there, I don't go there.
Like I stated, this is all info I derived from reading the various posts concerning this topic.  There's another going around about the side covers not being mounted correctly (design of the rubber grommets and subsequent mounting) but that's another where someone is trying to convey poor design/manufacture (read litigation) when really it was them not replacing the covers securely after service.

I did find this post a very good, average, response to the neck failure.  It's more investigative than accusing.  Again, this is what I derived from the pictures, too. 

Without knowing the story behind that particular photo, here is my assumption.

It doesn't look like it was a neck failure while riding. No dirt anywhere on the break areas to indicate long term. No other damage on the bike, wheel, motors, bars or fender to show it failed while in motion. There are marks on the side of the fender consistent with it going under the front frame of the trailer. And the body is still upright. It would typically have to be dragged onto the trailer on its side if the front wheel is seperated.

I think it was in the trailer already when it broke. Either tied down way to tight over the neck, or not enough and the bike came forward on the trailer during braking or a separate collision. Or a combination of both.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 10:01:42 AM by Haird »

mark

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 11:14:04 AM »

I too suspect the frontend didn’t just fall off in a curve.  I’m speculating an accident and someone just posted the pics with a phony story. 

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 12:29:56 PM »

:)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2020, 01:33:05 PM »

A brief google search reflects that Indian may have issues with their casting.......I don't have an Indian and never will so I have no interest in researching this further but easy enough to do for anybody that's interested.

https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/threads/chief-dark-horse-broken-frame.303050/#lg=thread-303050&slide=0
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2020, 04:54:27 PM »

I have the info on the Indian Motorcycle forum discussion about the pictures, story and investigation on bookface but since I don't have an account there, I don't go there.
Like I stated, this is all info I derived from reading the various posts concerning this topic.  There's another going around about the side covers not being mounted correctly (design of the rubber grommets and subsequent mounting) but that's another where someone is trying to convey poor design/manufacture (read litigation) when really it was them not replacing the covers securely after service.

I did find this post a very good, average, response to the neck failure.  It's more investigative than accusing.  Again, this is what I derived from the pictures, too. 

Without knowing the story behind that particular photo, here is my assumption.

It doesn't look like it was a neck failure while riding. No dirt anywhere on the break areas to indicate long term. No other damage on the bike, wheel, motors, bars or fender to show it failed while in motion. There are marks on the side of the fender consistent with it going under the front frame of the trailer. And the body is still upright. It would typically have to be dragged onto the trailer on its side if the front wheel is seperated.

I think it was in the trailer already when it broke. Either tied down way to tight over the neck, or not enough and the bike came forward on the trailer during braking or a separate collision. Or a combination of both.

Thanks.  If this is not a casting failure, that is a good explanation.  Or the rider hit something - hard - & it cracked.  Back in the days when I worked in a garage I can remember when people would bring in a vehicles that "nothing happened to" & then find part of whatever it was they hit embedded underneath their vehicle.  It's part of human nature - the Sgt. Schutlze kind.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2020, 07:08:03 PM »

So it failed while on the trailer? Or they just decided to stage it perfectly on the trailer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2020, 08:21:32 PM »

So it failed while on the trailer? Or they just decided to stage it perfectly on the trailer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks that way doesn't it!

mark

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2020, 09:46:20 AM »

A brief google search reflects that Indian may have issues with their casting.......I don't have an Indian and never will so I have no interest in researching this further but easy enough to do for anybody that's interested.

https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/threads/chief-dark-horse-broken-frame.303050/#lg=thread-303050&slide=0
I read the entire Indian thread...it appears from the OP’s later comments, the bike was involved in a crash.  That should dispel any notion of a casting flaw. 

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2020, 10:33:57 AM »

Thanks.  If this is not a casting failure, that is a good explanation.  Or the rider hit something - hard - & it cracked.  Back in the days when I worked in a garage I can remember when people would bring in a vehicles that "nothing happened to" & then find part of whatever it was they hit embedded underneath their vehicle.  It's part of human nature - the Sgt. Schutlze kind.
[/quote
Anybody that has worked in a dealership for more than 1 week can tell you the "I was just driving down the road and the engine fell out" stories. My favorites always surrounded when a car came in and the oil pan was ripped off. The owner never had any idea how it happened. First question: "you got any teen-age drivers in the house?" UHHHHHHHHH...

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2020, 11:13:47 AM »

So "Itz FakeNewz", or "The New Indian Hoax".
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2020, 12:57:18 PM »

[/quote
Anybody that has worked in a dealership for more than 1 week can tell you the "I was just driving down the road and the engine fell out" stories. My favorites always surrounded when a car came in and the oil pan was ripped off. The owner never had any idea how it happened. First question: "you got any teen-age drivers in the house?" UHHHHHHHHH...

;D  Never had one ripped off but saw one with hole & the owner said "the motor just stopped running." No oil.  Worst ones were "It made this real funny noise" & then when you popped the hood you saw what used to be a cat.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2020, 01:18:59 PM »

;D  Never had one ripped off but saw one with hole & the owner said "the motor just stopped running." No oil.  Worst ones were "It made this real funny noise" & then when you popped the hood you saw what used to be a cat.

Here's one,....

I was working at an auto repair shop in Arlington VA and a lady driving an Audi 100 pulls in the driveway. There is oil running out of the pan. The first words out of her mouth were, "This car serves Jesus Christ". I look under the engine and there is a one inch gouge in the bottom of the pan. I said "Ma'am, you can't drive this car, it's leaking oil from a hole". She asks, "Can your fix it?" I said "The pan needs to be replaced, or removed and welded properly". Get this, she says "Can you use glue or tape?" I said, "No, it needs to be done properly, you can't jury rig this". She says,..."But this car serves Jesus", so I replied "Then get him to fix it, I'm not touching it" and walked away. She drove off. How far before before the motor locked up, I do not know.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 02:14:34 PM by Ironhorse »
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

J.D.

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2020, 01:40:35 PM »

Oh, it serves Jesus, ok, I will glue it  :nixweiss:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2020, 02:45:15 PM »

Here's one,....

I was working at an auto repair shop in Arlington VA and a lady driving an Audi 100 pulls in the driveway. There is oil running out of the pan. The first words out of her mouth were, "This car serves Jesus Christ". I look under the engine and there is a one inch gouge in the bottom of the pan. I said "Ma'am, you can't drive this car, it's leaking oil from a hole". She asks, "Can your fix it?" I said "The pan needs to be replaced, or removed and welded properly". Get this, she says "Can you use glue or tape?" I said, "No, it needs to be done properly, you can't jury rig this". She says,..."But this car serves Jesus", so I replied "Then get him to fix it, I'm not touching it" and walked away. She drove off. How far before before the motor locked up, I do not know.

The devil musta done it. ;D    Even if Jesus Took the Wheel doubt she got very far.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2020, 10:43:05 AM »

Here's one,....

I would have asked her...but do you?

:oops: :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 10:47:13 AM by charles05663 »
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 24 queries.