Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recently got a Fxdwg2 and want to keep the exhaust original  (Read 3355 times)

rtbasey

I'm in LA California and recently got a low mileage Fxdwg2.  Mileage is really low and bought it on Ebay but it did not get the care it should have and some parts need to be replaced as this guy didn't "baby" this bike as he claimed.  As a matter of fact, he had not washed it for ages and never serviced it.  He must have posted some old cell phone photos.  Anyway, I'm trying to bring it back closer to the condition it should be and I am looking for very nice original heat shields for the original mufflers.  The front heatpipe shield is not nearly perfect either.  I know a lot of guys change out the exhaust systems so I was thinking some of these parts make be taking up space in someones garage.  Some of the other parts I may change out will probably have to be bought new through Harley.  Thanks....Terry

CH

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Recently got a Fxdwg2 and want to keep the exhaust original
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 01:19:01 PM »

Do you want to just keep the "original appearance" with a little more performance - or go to full OEM?

ch

Buffy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Big Ugly Fat Friggin' Yankee

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 - Scarlett Red Wide Glide
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR - Orange & Black
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 01:29:21 PM »

Dang, Terry!  After putting on Reinharts a while back, I finally decided that my stock pipes were never going back on my Switchblade, and I JUST sold them on E-Bay for 100 bucks!

Just like the fish story, you should have been here last month!
John & his 2001 Screamin' Eagle FXDWG2               and              2007 FLTR "Ultra" Road Glide
------------------------------------------------------
It\'s Never Too Late To Have A Happy Childhood

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 01:46:59 PM »

You've probably thought of these but:

E Bay
Craigslist
Dealers

Good luck!

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

rtbasey

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 02:30:32 PM »

I do check Ebay occasionally, but don't expect to find exhaust shields anytime soon but will keep looking.  Was able to get mirrors as there was quite a selection of the correct ones.  Will try a couple dealers and could check Craigslist.  

I am really about the looks and like that heat shield, double layer look.  If it had more performance and exactly the same look, obviously that would be nice but I still need the heat shields.

I have little running boards instead of the pegs that are nice but don't quite match.  I and am considering going back to the original pegs with the heel rest also.

Can these things be converted to a turn signal self cancelation?  I always forget...

Thanks....  

timberland

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 08:26:17 PM »

I'm in LA California and recently got a low mileage Fxdwg2.  Mileage is really low and bought it on Ebay but it did not get the care it should have and some parts need to be replaced as this guy didn't "baby" this bike as he claimed.  As a matter of fact, he had not washed it for ages and never serviced it.  He must have posted some old cell phone photos.  Anyway, I'm trying to bring it back closer to the condition it should be and I am looking for very nice original heat shields for the original mufflers.  The front heatpipe shield is not nearly perfect either.  I know a lot of guys change out the exhaust systems so I was thinking some of these parts make be taking up space in someones garage.  Some of the other parts I may change out will probably have to be bought new through Harley.  Thanks....Terry

I have the complete exhaust with all of the shields...including the muffler shields from my 02 FXDWG3, email is best way to reach me....richard@timberland-usa.com

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 25 queries.