Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What happens when making an intake/exhaust change without a PC or SERT?  (Read 3102 times)

Jacktrician69

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE

Hi guys.... after all my reading here, I see how much I need let my bike breathe, and what I need to do it !  But I have to do these changes one step at a time $$  So, with that being said....what kind of " damage" or harm will I be doing to the bike, if I install an exhaust, and intake, to help it " Breathe" better first, before helping the fuel delivery along with a PC, or SERT....etc.... ?    :nixweiss: 

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
Re: What happens when making an intake/exhaust change without a PC or SERT?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 10:48:21 AM »

Jack,

I am not as technically savy as most of the guys on this board, but from what I have read here the changes you are asking about should not do any damage to the bike.

I believe some of the guys here have reported that by just taking off the stock mufflers, and going with their favorite slip-ons, has improved performance or at least reduced the "heat" issues.  Also, the mods you are discussing are not major surgeries, if you make the change and the bike isn't running better, you can always put the OEM parts back on.  Its not like d00d's chrome hip parts, he's stuck with those, way too much trouble to put the orginals back.   ;D

Experimentation with different mods and upgrades is one of the best parts of owning a bike.  Also the most expensive!

Later,
Ghost

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 10:51:30 AM »

Hi Jacktrician69,

I don't know how much adjustment the O2 sensor system on a 2007 bike can handle but most folks say that you may be able to change mufflers without too much problem but once you alter the intake with free flowing a/c you will make the engine run lean and that could lead to overheating and all the related issues.
With my 2006 I was able to change the mufflers and a/c setup and only need the Stage 1 race download at the dealer to keep things running properly. I have not had a chance to have it dyno tested but it seems fine so far and to me it seems cooler running with more power.This setup was reccomended by S&S too.
I don't know if a 2007 stage 1 race download is available or ever will be?
Personally I would do it all at once not one thing then another if I needed a SERT or PC.

Jacktrician69

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 10:58:31 AM »

Hi Jacktrician69,

I don't know how much adjustment the O2 sensor system on a 2007 bike can handle but most folks say that you may be able to change mufflers without too much problem but once you alter the intake with free flowing a/c you will make the engine run lean and that could lead to overheating and all the related issues.
With my 2006 I was able to change the mufflers and a/c setup and only need the Stage 1 race download at the dealer to keep things running properly. I have not had a chance to have it dyno tested but it seems fine so far and to me it seems cooler running with more power.This setup was reccomended by S&S too.
I don't know if a 2007 stage 1 race download is available or ever will be?
Personally I would do it all at once not one thing then another if I needed a SERT or PC.
Thanks guys...so there is a downloadable program for the "stock" ECM ?  I know you're not sure about the '07 models yet...but you were able to just upgrade your current running system, and not buy a PC or SERT ?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 11:05:19 AM »

Hi guys.... after all my reading here, I see how much I need let my bike breathe, and what I need to do it !  But I have to do these changes one step at a time $$  So, with that being said....what kind of " damage" or harm will I be doing to the bike, if I install an exhaust, and intake, to help it " Breathe" better first, before helping the fuel delivery along with a PC, or SERT....etc.... ?    :nixweiss: 

Hey Jack, if I were doing only one thing, I'd do the ECM mod first. The stock set-up needs it and anything else you do means you'll need it even more. The Dyna comes w/ the SE A/C. For $50, get a K&N HD-0800 air filter installed in your A/C. You can have your mufflers modified for about $200 if you don't want to spend $300-$400 on mufflers. Do your ECM mod first, but for under $1000 you can do everything including a Dyno-Tune (using the stock headpipes). You can change your stock headpipes down the road if it's still too warm. ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 11:43:07 AM »

Hey Jack, if I were doing only one thing, I'd do the ECM mod first. The stock set-up needs it and anything else you do means you'll need it even more. The Dyna comes w/ the SE A/C. For $50, get a K&N HD-0800 air filter installed in your A/C. You can have your mufflers modified for about $200 if you don't want to spend $300-$400 on mufflers. Do your ECM mod first, but for under $1000 you can do everything including a Dyno-Tune (using the stock headpipes). You can change your stock headpipes down the road if it's still too warm. ;) Hoist! 8)
You can send your stock mufflers to Fulsac and have them modified for a couple of hundred, once you open up the bike breathing wise, you have to adjust the lean factory setting on the ECM.  With more air coming in you're going to have very lean condition which will cause the engine to run hotter.  Got to get that AFR down to a reasonable level.  There are some SERTs on Ebay that you can get for a reasonable amount.  But be careful.  Once used, the SERT is electronically mated to the host ECM for life.  So the question you have to ask the seller on Ebay is if the SERT has ever been used on another bike.  It's useless to you if it has.  There is a base map 84 that will work fine with the SERT until you can get up the money to have the bike dyno'd.  But if you're not going to change the head pipes, the 84 map is probably all you'd ever need.  It worked fine on my SEUC, and I changed the head pipes.  But then had it dyno'd later.  Hope this helps.
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 11:54:36 AM »

Jack...I would not put a more free flowing muffler on the bike without putting a SERT or PCIII on at the same time.  The MAP #84 from the SERT will probably do the trick until you can afford a good tune.  To my knowledge, and in asking the dealer here, there are currently no Digital Tech flashes for the ECM like was available for the 06 and prior years.  The motor is already lean with just the stock muffs on there, so if you do anything to increase the flow, it's just going to make it leaner, and you don't want that on the 110.  As Hoist said, if you replace the filter with the K&N 0800, you will have a reusable filter that will last you for many years if properly cared for. 
My 2 cents...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 12:10:38 PM »

Jack...I would not put a more free flowing muffler on the bike without putting a SERT or PCIII on at the same time.  The MAP #84 from the SERT will probably do the trick until you can afford a good tune.  To my knowledge, and in asking the dealer here, there are currently no Digital Tech flashes for the ECM like was available for the 06 and prior years.  The motor is already lean with just the stock muffs on there, so if you do anything to increase the flow, it's just going to make it leaner, and you don't want that on the 110.  As Hoist said, if you replace the filter with the K&N 0800, you will have a reusable filter that will last you for many years if properly cared for. 
My 2 cents...

This is the best answer to the question! The bike is already lean from the factory, adding a free flowing exhaust will make it worse. Get the PCIII or Race tuner at the same time as the exhaust!

Jacktrician69

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 02:47:18 PM »

Thanks again all for your advice, and answers to my questions...YOU RULE  :2vrolijk_21:   I'll have to " GIT ER DUN"  before summer comes !!  :'(   don't want er to sweat too bad in Lacoina......BIKE WEEK...can't WAIT !!!  Then  RENDEZVOUSE !!!!  ;D   

HogBreath

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 cvo roadglide
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO StreetKing
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 02:57:03 PM »

I'm no motorhead, but here's my $.02! I bought my bike and HAD to have something that sounded more like a Harley. I bought different slip ons, but the slip ons did have a little backpressure, meaning not like open pipes. Before changing the slip ons, I removed both spark plugs and took a mental note of the color. A bike tuned properly will typically leave a skin colored residue on the plugs. If a bike runs too lean, it creates excessive heat and will normally leave a white residue on the plugs. If you see this, STOP. I ran the bike with the new slip-ons for a few minutes and pulled the plugs and checked them out. They looked ok, so, I ran it down the road for 5 miles or so and checked again. Ikept a close eye on them for the first 100 miles or so. After that everything looked ok, so I RIDE the bitch. I personally would be very cautious of installing a high flow air filter as this would make it run leaner.

This advice cost you nothing. Hope you get your money's worth.
It's not the destination. It's the Journey.

Jacktrician69

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 03:08:11 PM »

I'm no motorhead, but here's my $.02! I bought my bike and HAD to have something that sounded more like a Harley. I bought different slip ons, but the slip ons did have a little backpressure, meaning not like open pipes. Before changing the slip ons, I removed both spark plugs and took a mental note of the color. A bike tuned properly will typically leave a skin colored residue on the plugs. If a bike runs too lean, it creates excessive heat and will normally leave a white residue on the plugs. If you see this, STOP. I ran the bike with the new slip-ons for a few minutes and pulled the plugs and checked them out. They looked ok, so, I ran it down the road for 5 miles or so and checked again. Ikept a close eye on them for the first 100 miles or so. After that everything looked ok, so I RIDE the bitch. I personally would be very cautious of installing a high flow air filter as this would make it run leaner.

Note taken...I'll do that as well !!  Thanks :orange:

This advice cost you nothing. Hope you get your money's worth.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2007, 03:12:04 PM »

Hey Jack, Fullsac will modify you mufflers and from what I've heard they do a quality job. Never used it myself though. Call them and discuss it. Talk to Steve @ 928-505-2915. Should be about 200 bucks and takes about 2 weeks. Good luck! ;) Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Jacktrician69

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2007, 03:23:49 PM »

Hey Jack, Fullsac will modify you mufflers and from what I've heard they do a quality job. Never used it myself though. Call them and discuss it. Talk to Steve @ 928-505-2915. Should be about 200 bucks and takes about 2 weeks. Good luck! ;) Hoist! 8)

I actually already have 'em off the bike and being done as we speak....I was supposed to get 'em back last night....but you know how THAT goes  :nixweiss:   Thanks for the info though, I do appreciate it  8)  I'm going to try them first...check the plugs, and then set up fuel delivery next....then intake....and I should be good to roll...I hope  ;D

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2007, 03:28:53 PM »

I actually already have 'em off the bike and being done as we speak....I was supposed to get 'em back last night....but you know how THAT goes  :nixweiss:   Thanks for the info though, I do appreciate it  8)  I'm going to try them first...check the plugs, and then set up fuel delivery next....then intake....and I should be good to roll...I hope  ;D

Good luck Jack, let's hear how everything goes! And remember the pics too! ;) Hoist! 8)

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 24 queries.