Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: thunder header vs fatcat bigbore quite baffle  (Read 10197 times)

workingdan

• Full CVO Member
thunder header vs fatcat bigbore quite baffle
« on: February 15, 2009, 02:32:51 PM »

OK i have a 2007 SEULTRA, I am running a thunder header 2 into 1 now and i am thinking of changing to a D&D fatcat with bigbore quiet baffle When I port my heads. I am also raising compression to 10.25:1 and installing a 625 cam. My question is, Is the fatcat going to be louder or quieter?  How much more power do you think i will get over the thunderheader?
2018 SE ultra limited anniversary #460 V&H MK45 slip ons

Sold 2015 SE Road Glide Ultra. V&H power duals, V&H monster square mufflers. FP3 tuner

SOLD 2013 SE ultra. Fuel moto 2/1/2 head pipe, Pro touring mufflers, woods T222 cams, vision tuner.

SOLD 2007 SE ultra. full sac true duals with 2" baffels. big mouth air cleaner. Tman performance Stage 4 Thumper Series 110 " Kit. Tman 625 cam. SE race tuner. ultra style hard tour pak

SOLD 2005 SE FatBoy. Stage 1 AC, Thunderheader

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: thunder header vs fatcat bigbore quite baffle
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 06:17:35 PM »

The TH may have the slight edge on peak numbers but the DD will give you better low and midrange performance. The TH will be louder as well. For quality and fit and finish you cannot beat the DD.

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 11:23:17 AM »

Yup, just like Jim says, go with the D/D, very quality piece of gear and the performance is awesome!

Godeater

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2001 ScreaminEagle Road Glide Blk/Sil
    • Radical Cycle
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 08:46:52 PM »

Never forget that the TH have non-removable baffle, so there is nothing you can do to tune the pipe.  The Fatcat has different baffles to choose from as well as being able to pull out and mod as needed.
2001 FLTRISE2 103 Stroker
Screamin Eagle Forged Stroker Crank
Screamin Eagle Forged Stroker Pistons 5 Over
Stock Jugs 5 Over
Polished and Ported Stock Heads
Manly Titanium Springs 640 Lift
Manly Stainless Valves
Screamin Eagle Cam Plate and High Flo Pump
S&S 585 Gear Drives
Horse Power Inc. 51mm Intake with Screamin Eagle 25 deg Injectors 62 psi Fuel Reg
Power Commander III USB
Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather
D&D Fatcat Stand Baffle
Baker OD6 speed
Lowered 2 inchs
Danny Grey Seat

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 09:31:27 PM »

select the pipe,then tune the engine not the pipe. imoh.   axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Godeater

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2001 ScreaminEagle Road Glide Blk/Sil
    • Radical Cycle
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 10:36:51 PM »

Not to be rude but thats a little like building 7 foot wide bridge then tring to figure out how to get a 9 ft wide truck across it.  Costs allot less to mode a baffle then change cams because pipe has to much back pressure for your build.  Since we are performance shop we see this allot with the untunable type slip-ons and pipes.  Thunder headers being the number one offender. Drilling couple of holes or shorting a baffle is a very cheap and fast way to fix back  pressure issues,  Or going the other way and adding more back pressure.  I'll dig up some dyno runs where simply changing baffle had major increases in hp, tq, or both.  Guess depends on what you want the end result to be.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 10:40:43 PM by Godeater »
2001 FLTRISE2 103 Stroker
Screamin Eagle Forged Stroker Crank
Screamin Eagle Forged Stroker Pistons 5 Over
Stock Jugs 5 Over
Polished and Ported Stock Heads
Manly Titanium Springs 640 Lift
Manly Stainless Valves
Screamin Eagle Cam Plate and High Flo Pump
S&S 585 Gear Drives
Horse Power Inc. 51mm Intake with Screamin Eagle 25 deg Injectors 62 psi Fuel Reg
Power Commander III USB
Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather
D&D Fatcat Stand Baffle
Baker OD6 speed
Lowered 2 inchs
Danny Grey Seat

workingdan

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 07:21:37 AM »

Thanks guys, I am ditching the thunderheader for the Fatcat with bigbore quite baffle. Bring on the power  :huepfenjump3:
2018 SE ultra limited anniversary #460 V&H MK45 slip ons

Sold 2015 SE Road Glide Ultra. V&H power duals, V&H monster square mufflers. FP3 tuner

SOLD 2013 SE ultra. Fuel moto 2/1/2 head pipe, Pro touring mufflers, woods T222 cams, vision tuner.

SOLD 2007 SE ultra. full sac true duals with 2" baffels. big mouth air cleaner. Tman performance Stage 4 Thumper Series 110 " Kit. Tman 625 cam. SE race tuner. ultra style hard tour pak

SOLD 2005 SE FatBoy. Stage 1 AC, Thunderheader

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 10:12:36 PM »

workingdan, dont give up on the thunder header to qwik, when you know what engine your going to end up 
with then select an exhuast system to fit your build. i know a few guys that want there thunder headers back.   
the d&d have a better fit and finish but who can tell at 80 mph. imho th runs well and sounds good. 
  get more input before making a move.    axil

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 03:50:39 PM »

t-header was designed for 80 inches. not on par with the higher flowing engines today. it also is known for cracking.

winner is fatcat! fit, finish, overall quality kicks some serious t-header ass. and it will make BETTER power!

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 09:27:41 PM »

rednectum, my twin cam is not an 80 ci. and it runs like a raped ape, you what to try again...   axil

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 10:26:56 AM »

axil, i think you may have misunderstood. i didnt say a mild twin cam wouldnt run good with a t-header. when you step up in size or power, the t-header starts to fall short compared to other "newer design" pipes. 

t-header has proven itself over the years, but unless it has been redesigned lately, the base design was for the 80 inch motor.  nothing sounds like the t-header, gotta love that.

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 04:31:19 PM »

rednectum , i again dissagree. the thunder header was made for stokers not an 80 cid motor, i humbly say- please
rethink the facts on why the thunder header has come to be!!!!! on an 80 inch motor the thunder header is almost a
wast of money, mine is a 103, an i'll match it to any 103 out there. i may not win but i'll be rubbing there tail light.
 the d&d is a great exh. and so is the thunder header, but let's get the facts straight. I think you have been
misimformed.             axil

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 05:38:08 PM »

Well as most of you know I am a true fan of the Thunderheader and have been for years. I do not run one on Ole Punkin anymore, not because I don't want to but when I was building the motor I was worried that it would peter out on top end with a big inch motor. I am now rethinking this as I am going to need to tune this motor in a few weeks. I know in the smaller motors a Thunderheader will out perform a D&D on top end. Once I try it on a built 113 we shall see as I already have a baseline for the Fat Kat with a performance baffle. OH and BTW the D&D Fat Kat with a performance baffle is much louder that the Thunder Header. I PROMISE!

If Rich Products would increase the tube size of a Thunder Header to 2 1/4 inch it would be the ticket for sure!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 06:19:05 PM »

For what's it worth I am a Rich Products (Thunder Header) and a D&D Dealer. I have installed both many, many times. They both work well and are great performance pipes. My choice? D&D. Why? Quality, fit and finish. I cannot tell you how many Thunder Header brackets, pipes, and heat shields i have replaced due to breaking, cracking. I have not yet had a D&D failure. I do sell about 3 times the TH product to D&D even though it is more $'s. Around here (Rich Products is local), They are the standard pipe on most bikes.

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 07:02:24 PM »

hd-dude, I agree with the fit&finish but the beauty is in the flaw's. I have no problems with there pipes or mufflers,
 but I've had a few heat Shields clamp mounts break. but none the less some one says the thunder header is for a
 80 ci motor is a bunch of bravo Serra...not just my opinion but my experience.       axil

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 07:10:58 PM »

Jim I must agree with you on fit and finish. I have had a NO brackets on my Thunder Headers break. They have been good as gold. Like I said in the above post I just wish they made the Thunder Header with a 2 1/4 primary. I think they would help the big motors breath.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 07:29:49 PM »

evo or twin cam exh. you stiil have the same size exh. pipe at the head.  axil

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 07:33:46 PM »

hd-dude, I agree with the fit&finish but the beauty is in the flaw's. I have no problems with there pipes or mufflers,
 but I've had a few heat Shields clamp mounts break. but none the less some one says the thunder header is for a
 80 ci motor is a bunch of bravo Serra...not just my opinion but my experience.       axil

Jim I must agree with you on fit and finish. I have had a NO brackets on my Thunder Headers break. They have been good as gold. Like I said in the above post I just wish they made the Thunder Header with a 2 1/4 primary. I think they would help the big motors breath.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

We all agree on quality and fit. Some are luckier on the breaking brackets. I have had many fitment issues as well.  As Axil stated heat shields straps break so often I keep extra sets of the 3 shields in stock.

I think the 80CI statement has to do with when the TH was designed. What was around then was the 80" EVO's . For what its worth the basic design of the pipe has not changed. It does work VERY well on engines up to about 113" or so. One thing I do not like about the performace of the TH is the torque dip around 2500 RPM, This can be tuned out in some cases, also bending the fins in the pipe down to create more back pressure works well.

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2009, 07:36:18 PM »

thank you jim. I completely agree.   axil

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2009, 08:19:31 AM »

We all agree on quality and fit. Some are luckier on the breaking brackets. I have had many fitment issues as well.  As Axil stated heat shields straps break so often I keep extra sets of the 3 shields in stock.

I think the 80CI statement has to do with when the TH was designed. What was around then was the 80" EVO's . For what its worth the basic design of the pipe has not changed. It does work VERY well on engines up to about 113" or so. One thing I do not like about the performace of the TH is the torque dip around 2500 RPM, This can be tuned out in some cases, also bending the fins in the pipe down to create more back pressure works well.

Jim I will have to call you on this one. There is a fix. You insert a bolt in the pipe down by the revision cone and adjust from there.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
2020 CVO Limited

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 08:30:17 AM »

you got it hd-dude. you said what i was trying to say-------thanks. 

09 S/T FLTRSE3

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 Silver/ Titanium FLTRSE3
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2009, 01:29:46 AM »

Never forget that the TH have non-removable baffle, so there is nothing you can do to tune the pipe.  The Fatcat has different baffles to choose from as well as being able to pull out and mod as needed.

Not quite true, The TH has vanes inside to direct exhaust gasses into a swirl pattern . You can bend them to create a bit more back pressure / torque. The D&D is a great pipe as well. A bit easier to tune. The TH is definately louder.

Cheers, Ken  8)

FiveO CVO

• Junior CVO Member
  • SERK's Rule

• CVO1: FLHRSE4 105th Annv #819/1800
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2009, 03:25:59 AM »

I would go with the D/D Fatcat for fit/finish/sound.  I've seen too many TH's with rust developing at the back reversion area for whatever reason.  Granted I live in Honolulu.  IMO the TH just doesn't compliment an HD or make it sound like it should.  I'm in Iraq right now, but when I get home in June on my mid-tour, I'll be installing my LSR 2-1 Spyder's by RB Racing.  I can't wait to get them tuned in and running.  I attached a few pic's of a set installed on a 2008 103" FLH, the same pipes I ordered.  SS Titanium finish/coating and chrome heat shields.  In the pic, he has his slash facing out but I'm getting mine with it down.  The other pic is the chrome version of the same pipe.  I'll post and let everyone see once I get them installed on my FLHRSE4/Anniversary.  If you do a "RB Racing Exhaust" search on You Tube you can see and hear how some of RB Racing pipes sound.  Good luck with your purchase and satisfaction on whichever you choose.
-- MOD's
    Dead Center Cycle fairing - CVO Annv paint by Gene
    Speeds Performance "Speedy Flow" Intake w/'07 A/C Cover off my CVO Springer
    '61- 62 Tank Decals painted to match
    RB Racing 2-1 Exhaust - LSR Black Hole Spyder w/stock O2 sensors
    RB Racing Dual O2 Display gauge on handlebar
    Andrews 54H's Cams w/SE Cam Support Plate & SE Pushrods (Adj)
    30T Evo Industries Primary Sprocket/Chain
    TTS MasterTune
    EZ Up Center Stand
    Redline fluids throughout

FiveO CVO

• Junior CVO Member
  • SERK's Rule

• CVO1: FLHRSE4 105th Annv #819/1800
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2009, 03:31:14 AM »

Sorry, here's the other pic of the chrome version of the LSR 2-1 Spyder by RB Racing.  Enjoy.
-- MOD's
    Dead Center Cycle fairing - CVO Annv paint by Gene
    Speeds Performance "Speedy Flow" Intake w/'07 A/C Cover off my CVO Springer
    '61- 62 Tank Decals painted to match
    RB Racing 2-1 Exhaust - LSR Black Hole Spyder w/stock O2 sensors
    RB Racing Dual O2 Display gauge on handlebar
    Andrews 54H's Cams w/SE Cam Support Plate & SE Pushrods (Adj)
    30T Evo Industries Primary Sprocket/Chain
    TTS MasterTune
    EZ Up Center Stand
    Redline fluids throughout

JohnT.

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE3 ; '08 White
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2009, 07:33:24 AM »

I am contemplating on switching out my Rinehart "True Dual" system for a 2 into 1. I actually like the look of the RB Racing pipe better than TH or D&D's product.
My friend has a LSR 2 into 1 system by RB and loves his. I know that when it comes to exhaust, every product is subjective, with some people prefering more loudness,
than others. Some people will give up on a pipe that actually makes good numbers on the dyno, but the sound is not what they prefer, and vice versa. I personally,
like the RB Racing Blackhole System, this is really a good looking exhaust, plus, I've heard its quiet, which for me, I prefer quiet over loudness. Sometimes I like to
ride late at night, and the Rineharts are mile or mores when it comes to sound. You can hear them for a mile or more. I don't like attracting unwanted attention to myself by running a loud exhaust. Plus, alot of states are cracking down on motorcycle "noise" .. Curious as to why I don't read of more people running RB Racing products on their bikes on this site, their website is FULL of positive testamonials, why are none of those people here??  They make loud pipes as well as quiet ones.. :nixweiss:
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.364 seconds with 24 queries.